Any BMW 525tds owners out there?

dave525tds

There seems to be a dearth of info on this engine on the net. I'm wondering what mods can be done, short of rechipping.
I read in one of the links from this site that the MB turbo diesel needs it's EGR valve and inlet manifold cleaned out every 50k. Does the same apply to the BMW?
I can feel a slight casting ridge inside the EGR valve and the inlet throat of the turbo. Would smoothing these off gain me anything? Even psychologically?

Dave
BMW 525tds touring '96

M

mickey

Any EGR equipped diesel will need periodic cleaning. The inside of my TDI's manifold and intake tract are caked with thick, black grease and soot. Same thing with my Benz, though I just got done solving that problem permanently. (Don't ask.) After performing a nice little modification to prevent further problems I dismantled the Benz's manifold and intake and cleaned them out with some powerful solvent.

-mickey

p.s. I wish I could similarly "modify" my New Beetle, but the computer throws a code if I mess with the EGR. My Benz, and possibly your BMW, lack the computerized watchdogs that the U.S. Government currently mandates. (Also known as OBD II.)

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I am sure that Dave's diesel BMW is not afflicted with the dreaded OBD-II diagnostics, because to the best of my knowledge, BMW has NEVER sold a diesel car in the U.S.A. I'm quite sure that cars in Scotland, and in the rest of Europe do not have OBD-II, since it is only the U.S. government that requires it here.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
The 525td has been sold here in the US. I think they dropped it from our market back in the late eighties/early nineties.

One of the little hot-rodding tricks was to get an early 325e with its anemic 2.7 liter high torque, low-rev motor and rebuild it with a crank from a TD (forged as opposed to the cast crank from the gasser). Combined with a large-valve 325is head (gently massaged, I hope) this motor would scream!

M

mickey

I saw an old 525td here in Utah about a week ago! I was astounded. I didn't know any such thing existed.

-mickey

Dieselworld

Veteran Member
Just a note of correction. The BMW in the USA is a 524td not a 525td. They made these in '85 and '86 I believe. Check out the Auto Trader online and you will always find several for sale. These were fairly common in Atlanta, as I have seen several on the road and they always have them for sale in the Trader.

------------------
D.O.C.I. Doctor of Compression Ignition

Get Amsoil at WHOLESALE BY PASS THE DEALER!!
Dieselworld@netzero.net
www.synthetic-motor-oil.com

[This message has been edited by Russell Parr (edited April 03, 2000).]

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
The 524td was never sold in the UK. It is an indirect injection turbo diesel, but a really nice 6 cylinder one.

I remember admiring the noise that one made whilst on holiday in France. What's the point of having a 6 cylinder engine if you can't hear it?

When BMW designed a 2.5 litre TDI engine, that is electronically controlled direct injection turbo diesel, they decided that it was good enough to be put into UK Beemers.

Nice powerful engines, but the fuel economy's not that good from what I have heard.

Same engine can also be found in Range Rovers and Vauxhall / Opel Omegas.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon (variant))
See my Peugeot / Passat site