What did you do to your car today?

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Swapped wheels over to winters and stuck the mud-flaps back on. Took some time and cleared out the space behind the front fender liners for the first time. Right side: Holy cow! Packed full of a good three pounds of heavy wet mud, but no visible corrosion. Left side: clean as a whistle. Just a few grains of sand. Can you say "strange"?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I removed the OEM monsoon stereo and started replacing it with a pioneer NEX 4000.
I've got the steering wheel controls working, HD radio working, Bluetooth, butt that's about it so far.
Still left
Reverse camera
Long press steering wheel button for Siri
Update firmware for carplay
Mount the radio in the car
Mount USB/ aux in
Remove dead satellite radio.
Which car of yours is getting the NEX4000? If on your older Jetta, what's your plan for getting a Siri button on your steering wheel?
I have NEX5000 in my '03 wagon with MFSW and would like to rig that up as well.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Which car of yours is getting the NEX4000? If on your older Jetta, what's your plan for getting a Siri button on your steering wheel?
I have NEX5000 in my '03 wagon with MFSW and would like to rig that up as well.
I put it in the 03, 2014 is remaining stock other than the hitch for the foreseeable future.

My Metra axcess steering wheel controller can be programmed for long presses.
See page 10 of http://contentdocs.installernet.com//documents/product/34201.pdf
I'm not sure that the NEX 4000 has anything that it will recognize as Siri though.
I'll keep you guys posted if it works.
I wish I could remember the designers name, super cool guy we met at sema in '12 I've got his card around here if something needs modifying.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Obviously they don't work — no puddles are there (unless you count the "puddles" OF light, that is)! ;)

Just.. Just wow... Mind blown.

Here's the kit.
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/RFB-LED-Puddle-Light-Kit.html

But the coding is different then what they posted. With my mk6 all I had to do was check bit 6 in Byte 3. But the rear doors are controlled off of the front can bus. So you have to select the drop down box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Replaced my cracked glass lenses with plastic ones, painted the inside of my lights, replaced my ballasts and bixenon bulbs - took almost all day but it needed to be done. In order to get to the lights on these older Dubs, you have to remove the whole front bumper. Fun.

Started like this:

Ended like this:

Time for beer(s).

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
In the process of putting a PD back together and reinstalling it into the car. Got a notification that my parts shipped from idparts.

Have spent WAYY to much cash there over the last few weeks...

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Replaced my cracked glass lenses with plastic ones, painted the inside of my lights, replaced my ballasts and bixenon bulbs - took almost all day but it needed to be done.

Ended like this:

Time for beer(s).
Looks great! Love the dual turn signal mod. Where did you buy new plastic lenses from?

What projectors do you have installed?

k2teddy

TDI
Golf TDI, 5 door, 2015
Hi Everyone, I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread relating to an issue that we're experiencing with our new 2015 Golf TDI.

Upon receiving the car brand new, a week an a half later, we open up the hood to check oil levels... and to our surprise, there was crystal build up in a section of the car.

We did some research online, and discovered that it could be an Adblue Leak. So we took the car back to the dealer and they held it for a few days, and replaced a part and said that it was indeed a leak. They seemed to emphasize the fact that it would have been dangerous to continue driving the car, and they were glad we brought it in to inspect/fix.

Upon receiving the car back, we drove around for a day, and notice the crystal build up AGAIN!! We are currently out of town, returning on Weds. So the car is now in the garage, untouched, with crystal build up for the next couple of days :(

Has anyone experienced this with their TDI? What is it exactly?? I want to make sure that the mechanics will target the problem and fix it once and for all!! IT's a waste of time and effort taking the car back to the dealership.

Thanks!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Hi Everyone, I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread relating to an issue that we're experiencing with our new 2015 Golf TDI.

Upon receiving the car brand new, a week an a half later, we open up the hood to check oil levels... and to our surprise, there was crystal build up in a section of the car.

We did some research online, and discovered that it could be an Adblue Leak. So we took the car back to the dealer and they held it for a few days, and replaced a part and said that it was indeed a leak. They seemed to emphasize the fact that it would have been dangerous to continue driving the car, and they were glad we brought it in to inspect/fix.

Upon receiving the car back, we drove around for a day, and notice the crystal build up AGAIN!! We are currently out of town, returning on Weds. So the car is now in the garage, untouched, with crystal build up for the next couple of days :(

Has anyone experienced this with their TDI? What is it exactly?? I want to make sure that the mechanics will target the problem and fix it once and for all!! IT's a waste of time and effort taking the car back to the dealership.

Thanks!

Adblue? In a Golf?

I know I'm stuck back in 2010 but has this really happened?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Drove to the local dealer and got two adblue 1/2 gallon dispensers for about $14 total.

Much better than the $25 that you end up paying any online retailer after shipping.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I just added the adblue to the passat. The extent to which the dealer got crystals all over the trunk area is now proven to be ridiculous. It's not that hard. Equate it to a gas jockey who get gas all over your fender cause he can;t put the hose in the hole. geez.

str8t six

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS TDI
aired my tires up to the max of 50 psi and gained 1 mpg so far!

i just made a front grill block and am waiting to see if that helps too. so far according to the scanguage my GPH decreased about .08 while cruising!

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Looks great! Love the dual turn signal mod. Where did you buy new plastic lenses from?

What projectors do you have installed?
For the plastic lenses I bought a new set of OE lights for $30 per side and melted off the lenses. I was quoted $70 a lense - go figure. Projectors are the FX-R from TRS. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...bi-xenon-fx-r-stage-iii-kit.html#.VFl9VckhDy8

New winter tires and rims - had to get rid of the 15"s as they felt like they were rolling over on me. Went with 17" rims and Toyo Garit KX 225/45/17 tires, so we'll see how riding on walnut shells works.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
My glow plug communication CEL that had been on since my swap went off as soon as I installed an aftermarket radio. Unfortunately it came back today :-(

On the plus side my DWA still believes that my hood is closed so the chirp works for the first time with a diesel.

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
Finally replaced the leaking tandem pump. 45 minutes from start to finish.

Jake

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
My car was getting difficult to start in the morning. I thought it was the starter and was getting ready to install a new one but found out the battery was to blame. Got a new 80 ah battery for $132 from the dealer. That was significantly cheaper than the gasser battery the parts store tried to sell me. Car cranks up fast again. Old battery was almost 7 years old.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Hey ��

Been a while Volks Folks. Still have my Golf named Alice..she's just received a new cabin filter, new headlight bulbs, winter rims/tires are on, cleaned up a few loose hose clamps and reset a pesky code.

Provent and oil filter cleaning this weekend.

Still getting over 1000km per tank, even in town..but my current setup demands a long highway drive every week. Sway bars and my Konis next year...for now, I'm the stealthy smoker! �� Lol...

-M.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Which is what it does. So when you're running at 45 MPH you're in 6th at 1100 RPM. Good news is it downshifts fast, but until it does it feels like you're lugging the engine. It's the 1-2 shift that drove me nuts. Hesitate, small amount of acceleration, shift, lugging engine, and then finally it moves. Awful.

I've trained myself to totally ignore the upshift light in the Golf. I usually keep TDIs between 2-3K in most driving, and don't let them fall much below 1500 RPM even when cruising along in 5th or 6th. The engine seems much happier, response is quicker, and I can't see that I'm taking much of an FE hit. Sport mode kind of does that with the DSG, but it tends to hang on to lower gears at 2500 RPM plus a lot, which I think would cost FE.
Lol...tried one of my family's cars with a similar DSG setup..."why are you pressing the paddles so much?" Duh.

I fully agree on the paddles/buttons/semiauto shifting being cumbersome. If VW went to a fully advanced system, we'd all own a Supercar...ha ha.

I'll request a car with a fully manual, clutch-shifted transmission until the day I die. That is all. (lol ��)

-M.

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Drove it around VIR yesterday during holiday laps. Got to open it up (as much as a stock CR engine can open up). Handled great. DSG kept up just fine in manual mode (let's be honest, it should be the only mode).

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Drove it around VIR yesterday during holiday laps. Got to open it up (as much as a stock CR engine can open up). Handled great. DSG kept up just fine in manual mode (let's be honest, it should be the only mode).
post the link to your dashcam video!
how much did you open it up? speed? rpm?
did you capture VCDS logs?
...looking forward to your reply :D

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Oh man, I have no dash cam footage to offer, just a few snaps from a track photog. As for speed I got to open it to 90 with regular frequency (not the fastest it's gone in its life but definitely the most twisty exciting driving I've ever done. No vcds logs either. C'est la vie. It's meant to be run what you bring, but clearly some others bring very nice things (read as vettes and mustangs galore, handful of porsche, s2000s, viper, etc). No passing, no stopping, no lay back on the turns. Still immensely fun for the 25 dollars per 15-20 minute session.

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
I woke up to find my ALH sitting in a pool of coolant. Unfortunately I don't have time to trouble-shoot this issue, so I'm crossing my fingers that my local mechanic finds a simple fix.

My one request to him: fill it back up with OEM G13 fluid.