2016 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Mahindra couldn't do it and I wanted that badly. If GM could pull this off and the Jetta would be gone. It actually looks alot like the VW Amarok.

Last edited:

texcross

TDI
Jetta
It does look quite a bit like the VW Amarok, the well well/qtr panels very different, but the rest the same style. Next will Ford and Toyota do something similar?

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Once the baby and future children are out of rear-facing car seats, this will be the way I'm going as well. Will be built about 15 miles from my house, so that helps sway me too.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If it isn't optioned up to the max, I would be all over it . It just kills me that my current Jetta has a lot more options than I really want.

Lets see, really stupid options:

• Heated W/S washers
  • Sunroof
  • Heated R/V mirrors
  • Sat Radio
  • Power windows
  • Navigation
  • Auto trans
  • Alloy wheels
  • Carpets
  • Lighted make up mirrors
Mahindra would have been great providing it had good load capacity, power and didn't require you to grow a vagina to appreciate all the bogus options.

I don't know it you manufacturers are listening, just give me a basic Diesel M/T truck without carpets or other nonsense extras...............

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'll reserve judgement until I find out if the dpf is serviceable and if its one piece with the DOC. Not a mistake I'll make a second time. Until then I'll stick to my f250 and its nice 6.7.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If it isn't optioned up to the max, I would be all over it . It just kills me that my current Jetta has a lot more options than I really want.

Lets see, really stupid options:

• Heated W/S washers
  • Sunroof
  • Heated R/V mirrors
  • Sat Radio
  • Power windows
  • Navigation
  • Auto trans
  • Alloy wheels
  • Carpets
  • Lighted make up mirrors
Mahindra would have been great providing it had good load capacity, power and didn't require you to grow a vagina to appreciate all the bogus options.

I don't know it you manufacturers are listening, just give me a basic Diesel M/T truck without carpets or other nonsense extras...............
The sad truth is that the above Foo Foo Fluffy options are very cheap for the mfg's to add to the car (truck) and with all those added they can hide the substantial cost of the diesel powerplant. They figure they won't sell any bare diesel vehicles at a cost just a little below the one with all the fluff.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'll believe it when I see it sitting on a showroom floor-and I'll bet it will be way north of $30k. Still waiting to see the 1/2 ton Dodge diesel. I think the manufacturers like to say there will be a diesel option to get our hopes up,then pull the plug on it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
After seeing a Mahindra in person, I will tell you that the build quality sucked... Embarrassingly bad. I'm not sure what all of the buzz was over it.

Hopefully Chevy moves forward with a diesel Colorado, but I'll believe it when I see it.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I agree with Ol'Rattler . That is the one thing that is nice about my 2012 Passat TDI SE....it has what I like and nothing more. I am also with VeeDubTDI in that I will believe it when I see it. It sounds promising provided they can offer a model at a reasonable price.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
I'm guessing 1970s era vinyl interiors, hand crank windows, and 13 inch bias ply tires won't be the base. Some of you bare bones guys make me laugh!!

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
That would be pretty cool. I'd love to get a diesel compact truck. I would have most likely gone that route, regardless of the maker, if one was available when I was car shopping. The only reason I didn't go with another pick-up, but smaller (I had an F-150)...is the fuel economy. I can stomach bad fuel economy and no car payment...or good fuel economy and a car payment...but I cannot stomach bad fuel economy AND a car payment (i.e. Toyota Tacoma).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'd replace my current 07 canyon if the price weren't too out of line. With the 4 cyl and manual tranny, I get about 20 running around town and 25 on the highway when I keep it below 65. I'd have to go with another extended cab to keep the 6 foot bed so the kayaks still fit.

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I came from a 2004 Colorado ext cab. I loved the truck but not the mileage and the lack of room in the cab and I couldn't afford a crewcab. Now that you can get a crew cab and a 6 foot bed I will be looking into it when the diesels get here.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If the follow suit, all trucks will be the same length. If you get the crew cab, you'll only get the small bed. If you want the longer bed, you'll have to stick with the extended cab. That's ok for me because it's only my wife and me.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
This is a real dilema to me. First of all, there is no Amarok for me to buy, so I will stick with my 1997 6.5 extended cab K15. The new Dodge is really tempting, but a little too big for what I need it (I have monster trucks for heavy towing and hauling). I was happy to bide my time until this damned thing showed up. The 2.8 would be a slam dunk if it were a 5 banger, and I have a few friends with that 3.6. It is so good it really makes me think about going gasser.

kalalp

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I've been trying to order a Dodge 1500 diesel for the last two weeks.
Three different dealerships. No one will order one, or probably can't.
I suspect there are troubles. The last I heard was maybe March.
In my opinion I believe the manufacturers are worried about cannibalism of their high end gravy train models. The Colorado, if it ever arrives in diesel, which is questionable, after all it is at least two years away, will be a high end luxury leader.

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
If the follow suit, all trucks will be the same length. If you get the crew cab, you'll only get the small bed. If you want the longer bed, you'll have to stick with the extended cab. That's ok for me because it's only my wife and me.

I read that you will be able to get the crew cab with a 6 ft bed. That extra foot is a lot. I had a tool box in my truck and it was ok. Having seen 5 ft beds with boxes in them they are almost useless without a narrow box.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I started saving up 5 years ago in the hopes that something like this would become available.

Well, they're too late. I don't care anymore. Money is staying in the bank.

I'll buy a used one in 10 years when my Golf is worn out.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I read that you will be able to get the crew cab with a 6 ft bed. That extra foot is a lot. I had a tool box in my truck and it was ok. Having seen 5 ft beds with boxes in them they are almost useless without a narrow box.
I reread the article and it does say that the 5 and 6 foot beds would be available with either cab. With my 13 foot kayak, I know I won't consider anything less that a 6 foot bed. With the tailgate down, I have just over 50% of the kayak supported.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not if the input and take out are several miles apart. Plus my kayaks are both about 65 pounds and can be a bit cumbersome to load if I've really pushed myself.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I've seen these devices that go into the hitch, which basically an adjustable bar which can support loads a few feet back behind the tailgate, for this purpose. Not sure about holding two, although really the hitch ought to be able to take the weight.

But at some point I bet it'd be easier to just take a trailer, I mean, if the kayak sticks out far enough it's practically a trailer already.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
My Dad has the Thule xsporter racks on his truck bed sides for those long flatwater kayaks. The racks adjust up and down which is nice. I'd probably look at racks like that if we ever decide to downsize to a truck like this colorado.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've seen these devices that go into the hitch, which basically an adjustable bar which can support loads a few feet back behind the tailgate, for this purpose. Not sure about holding two, although really the hitch ought to be able to take the weight.

But at some point I bet it'd be easier to just take a trailer, I mean, if the kayak sticks out far enough it's practically a trailer already.
I have the trailer but like I said, if my input is several miles downstream fro my outtake, then I have to have two vehicles capable of hauling the boats.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I'll buy a used one in 10 years when my Golf is worn out.
I was going to admonish you for not taking care of your Golf, then I realized it is now 9 years old. We are exactly where I suspect you are: '03 Jetta Wagon, only 300,000 kms and no real reason to replace it (and nothing really on the market that WILL replace it). Maybe in another 10 years we will retire it (as it will have the same mileage as our last Jetta TD by then).

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I've been trying to order a Dodge 1500 diesel for the last two weeks.
Three different dealerships. No one will order one, or probably can't.
I suspect there are troubles. The last I heard was maybe March.
In my opinion I believe the manufacturers are worried about cannibalism of their high end gravy train models. The Colorado, if it ever arrives in diesel, which is questionable, after all it is at least two years away, will be a high end luxury leader.
One of our Saturday Kaffee Klatsch saw one on the street in MT last week. If there was any way to do it, the SRX would have stayed and the Ram would be in his driveway. He said he could hardly hear it run at idle at all.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It will likely be equipped just like the Cruze - leather, automatic, power everything, navigation. That's how they hide the cost of the diesel engine option and all of its emissions components. If you mate the diesel up with the stripper version of the vehicle, the premium price for the diesel engine makes people balk.