TDIFest 2010, Where will it be?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
It's that time again, with the buzz of TDIFest 2009 still lingering in the air, it is time to think about TDIFest 2010. Thanks to a lot of work over the years by different organizers, more and more information is being compiled and documented to assist future planners. Anyways, on to the details.

Here are the requirements:

Parties interested in hosting TDIFest 2010, please get a bid in by November 9th, 2009. A decision will be made by November 23rd, 2009. (Delayed from November 16th)
Here are some requirements and info that should be figured out before a proposal is submitted by that date.
1) Find a core group of people (5 or more) to work with you on the planning and implementation. This will help divide up the work, and keep problems from arising should 1 or 2 move away (this does happen).
2) Figure out who will be the leader and second in charge will be. Also who will be in charge of the finance/budgets and registration.

3) Get a estimate of costs, event places, etc. Talk to the hotels to get room approximate rates/requirements, etc
4) Submit a email to me with details on the people involved and what your plans and cost estimates are. Be sure to include some information on distances between suggested events. Also any relevant experience individuals in the group may have with planning larger events.

The data has traditionally been the Labour Day (or Labor Day for those in the US) weekend. This could be moved if there is a good enough reason, but remember, no date is ever perfect for everyone. Remember these event plans don't have to be set in stone. If you have something planned for Saturday morning and it has to be Sunday afternoon, that is fine as things will change. Feel free to post questions here or email me.
Please post any questions you may have as we have all learned a lot from past fests on how to make these things better than ever.

Shalon (TDIFest 2007) has summarized some great info below:
-----------------------------
First step: Organize a group of people in your area.
You need a group of people who are dedicated to pulling off this organization, as it is a lot of hard work. People who are willing to give up a few of their weekends to run around and get venues, scope out the area, have frequent meetings.
Next, you need to set up formal meeting times when you can sit down to discuss the fest. This means setting up SEVERAL meetings with your group and possibly previous fest organizers.. I'm pushing back the deadline this year to give people a little more time to get a good proposal together (almost 2 months, but I'll gladly take a completed proposal before that).

Once you have everyone collected you'll need to discuss the city/town/area that you are proposing for the fest and organize what information you'll need for the proposal. this is where it gets tricky, as everyone will have idea's as to what they want to DO at the fest. This is not the time for this discussion. Try to keep on track and discuss hotels, parks, other venues where the fest can be held. Then distribute the research work evenly among the group members.

Things you'll need to know about your proposed Fest area:
VENUE!
(can't have a fest without a Venue).
- Cost of the venue - if it's a hotel, what are the room rates, food/menu rates, meeting/conference space costs, etc.
if it's in an outdoor space other than a hotel: area rental costs, place to hold the banquet, outdoor wrenching restrictions (environmental laws?)
Things to do around the area: Parks, malls, tourist attractions, places to eat,etc.
- International considerations - passports required, taxes, Currency exchanges, vendor issues (if the fest is going to be over a border other than the US - i.e. Canada, or wherever else).

Basic Agenda:
- What are you planning on doing with several hundred people for 3 days
- Friday - registrations, evening meet-n-greet usually - what will be your
menu, activity of choice, etc.
- Saturday all day - registrations, activities (tech sessions, vendors, area activities, etc), food (breakfast, lunch, OR dinner... pick one), activity Saturday night?
- Sunday - food (usually the banquet Sunday night), Show n shine, other activities, banquet, wrenching, etc.

What are the qualifications of your group members:
WHO ARE THEY?!?! who exactly is going to be in your group. If you have group members that are planning a fest from one location that is different than the actual fest location - Do you have Area Volunteers!?!? :confused: Who are they?
Who has experience organizing large scale events? does their career choice allow them to volunteer for such a dedicated process? In other words, they have the drive, but do they have the time?
Who will be your group "leader" or primary contact/liaison?

This is just some information that folks will need to know if they are planning on organizing a fest proposal. Once you submit a proposal, in an organized, informative format - the work gets more abundant from there. But with the right crew of volunteers, and everyone pitching in to help, it can go VERY smoothly!

To previous fest organizers, please feel free to pitch in other information. If you have your previous proposal and would like to link it on the page, I'm sure it would be a great help to future fest organizers, to see what others have done. We need to learn from one another! Maybe this will encourage others to volunteer, rather than compete or stand aside for someone else to do it! Let's help to make Fests in future years easier and more fun for everyone! :)

-----------------------------

Last edited:

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I am interested to see what groups are working on a submission this year.

If any group needs to ask any questions while they are putting their plan together feel free to contact me via PM or email.

I am here to help!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A few of us are working on something that I think you'll like. :D

Stay tuned... ;)

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
If anyone in the Illinois-Wisconsin area wants to form a group. I'll be willing to join. I have an idea or 2 as to where in the area. Send me a pm.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
TT71 said:
If anyone in the Illinois-Wisconsin area wants to form a group. I'll be willing to join. I have an idea or 2 as to where in the area. Send me a pm.
Interested..

What do you have in mind?

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
'10's location should be near tourist spots for a large attendance.

Could it be '09 was so big because it was near DC?

That's was the deciding factor for me to attend '09.

Pete

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
petea4 said:
'10's location should be near tourist spots for a large attendance.

Could it be '09 was so big because it was near DC?

That's was the deciding factor for me to attend '09.

Pete
I feel '09 was so large because:

Probably biggest part was it was in a 'central' location for a huge concentration of the TDI's. This is vital for attendance. It makes it easier for people to plan and travel.

The quality of the hotel was also a factor. That was a very nice hotel, and it was a good deal as far as charges for the rooms, considering what some of the 'normal' business rates are. The hotel staff was also great in accommodating the needs of the club.

Location (bigger city) was another good factor, there was plenty to do in the area that you could get out and enjoy yourself and not be tied to a parking lot.

The above things are what makes a fest well attened. Location (near a concentration of TDIers), quality of hotel, location(being in a city that offers plenty of diverse activities).

Having a good set of organizers also help in promoting it!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
BTW, those who are considering doing this, feel free to touch base with me early on in your planning process as I can give pointers on what else you may need for putting a proposal together.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Hey TDI Meister - Wie waer's mit einer TDI Fest in Deutschland? Ich bin da!
Translation: How about a TDI Fest in Germany? I'm there!
Kristina

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I don't know about the feasibility of a full-fledged TDI Fest in Germany (I'm a transplant from Canada myself and my stay in Germany will end soon), but I have floated the idea of a guided tour itinerary of Germany on rented Diesel cars and visiting some places of interest for car/TDI lovers (e.g. auto museums, factories, VW's Autostadt in Wolfsburg, etc.). If there is serious interest, it can be made to happen...

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, a small group would be more manageable and fun! :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
TDIMeister said:
I have floated the idea of a guided tour itinerary of Germany on rented Diesel cars...
Sorry, PeterV. There goes your A4's TDIFest attendance unbroken streak....:D

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Canada would be awesome!! Maybe even south eastern US. Its been in the east so many times...too bad we have no contestants in the middle of the country. Also, DC was following 2 very low attendance Fests...so it looked very large. It was large. But if you count sheer people there(paid registrations or not) Wisconsin was bigger. Just was a long time ago, so maybe folks dont remember.

Wherever it is, I hope it is someplace different. That was the original idea anyway, wast it?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Well, PeterV could also ship his own car across the Atlantic and preserve his streak. ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of folks ship their cars to Europe every year for Bad Camberg (or however it is spelled).

Funny though, a TDI fest in Germany would probably be like a "Chevy Cavalier Fest" here. :D

I like the guided tour idea... when does your stay in Germany end, 'meister?