Coolant Glow Plug connector ??

JettaDrvr

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
The connectors that go to my coolant glow plugs are falling apart. I have been able to find a part # for it "028 971 782 A" and it sells for around $27. Does this include all 3 connectors, or is this part # just for 1 of them ?

JettaDrvr

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Well Im not so sure I want to go that route then. There was a post by someone on here threaded the ends of the coolant glow plugs, put ring connectors on the ends of the wires, and hooked it up like the spark plugs on an old antique engine. I read that post years ago and now I cant find it. If I just knew the thread and die size for that..............

Last edited:

JettaDrvr

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Well after thinking about a solution, I came up with some ideas for a cheap solution. One was to do as planned and thread the end of the glow plug and put ring connectors on the end of the wires and hold it down with a nut but thats too much work. So the other idea was to still put ring connectors on the the wires, not thread the GP, instead holding it down with a speed nut. the problem there is that there probably wont be much downward force holding the connector to the GP. Final idea Im probably going to go with is just crimp on some alligator clips on the wires and hook it up to the GPs and be done with it.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The surface area of the alligator clips will be insufficient for the amount of amperage through each of these (about 250 watts each, or about 20 amperes at 12 volts)
The early 1Z and AHU used eyelet and nut connectors, but the press-on boot type is more secure and better able to handle the current flow. That's why the cylinder glow plugs were also switched from a ring and eyelet type in the IDI, to the push-on type for the TDI. I think VW decided to use up the old threaded plugs before switching all of them to the push-on type.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I had a similar issue and thought the $75 price tag was too steep for what it was - Especially since the connectors need to be spliced into the original harness which is another place for it to fail.
Here's my original snap on connectors - not much left of them

So, I found that a #10-24 die was the right size and just cut threads on the top of each of the glow plugs.

I then soldered ring terminals on the existing wires and then put them on with acorn nuts and a spacer nut underneath.
Just about free - maybe a couple $ in nuts, ring terminals, solder, electricity, etc.

Last edited:

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2001 Golf in pieces
I had a similar issue and thought the $75 price tag was too steep for what it was - Especially since the connectors need to be spliced into the original harness which is another place for it to fail.
Here's my original snap on connectors - not much left of them

So, I found that a #10-24 die was the right size and just cut threads on the top of each of the glow plugs.

I then soldered ring terminals on the existing wires and then put them on with acorn nuts and a spacer nut underneath.
Just about free - maybe a couple $ in nuts, ring terminals, solder, electricity, etc.
Sorry for dragging up the old thread, but that is fantastic, just the kind of workaround I was hoping to find!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Works a treat for engine glow plugs too..

...for those moments when you're sick of intermittant glow-plug harness CELs. :)

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
just get an automatic car coolant housing, it has no coolant plugs and really cleans things up in the area. no need to work at an awkward angle when removing the vac pump to install a cam lock during TB changes. :)