Cabin Air Filter

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Ok, just curious, is the cabin filter in the Passat located BEFORE the A/C evaporator and the heater core so that it will keep crap from collecting in the fins on both of them? Where exactly is it located?

Thanks in advance!

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Yes. The cabin filter is located above the passenger footwell trim panel in the a/c unit. It is removed from the bottom of the assembly after removing an access panel on the a/c heater unit. The filter is placed between the fan/outside air intake and the heater and a/c cores. It also is equipped with activated charcoal as part of the filter element.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
I was recently wondering about this myself. Sounds like it's easy to get to...my 2008 Mazdaspeed3's cabin filter was a huge pain to get to...I had to remove part of the dash, the glove compartment, and an assortment of other things to access it. I think it took me 2 hours to do, and that's with watching a youtube instruction video. Thankfully, I won't have to change that one again!

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
So the path is:

A). Outside Air -> Filter -> Fan -> A/C Evap/Heater Core -> Vents?

or

B). Outside Air -> Fan -> Filter -> A/C Evap/Heater Core -> Vents?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Here is an exploded view of the HVAC box. 23 is the A/C Evaporator, 22 is the Aux heater (TDI only), 21 is the heater core, 19 is the dust/pollen filter, 18 is the cover for the filter, 17 is footwell access cover, 16 is the fan/blower, 11 is the condensation water drain hose with valve, 9 is the outside air intake. Air flow is right to left (Option B above).

Last edited:

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
We must have something. The temps here have been around -5C every morning and the engine is cold.

I crank up the heat to about 25C and I'm getting warmth in about a minute. It's not a lot, but its better than ice cold air.

Regards