Pulling VW behind Motorhome?

Buffalobilly

I'm new here, don't have a VW TDI yet. Have lots of "?". Heres the first.
Can I tow a VW TDI automatic behind my MH? (DW won't drive a stick)
I pressently drag a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is easy to tow but is heavy and takes big drinks at the pump.
I'm what is called an "old techee". I do as much as I can myself to service,maintain and mod. my owen equipment.
Thanks
Bill

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Get the front wheels (the drive wheels) off the ground, ideally get a trailer big enough to get the whole car off the ground.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
scooperhsd said:
Get the front wheels (the drive wheels) off the ground, ideally get a trailer big enough to get the whole car off the ground.
__. VW does not recommend a "flat tow" for either auto or manual transmissions. People who have looked at it say that the auto has the usual list of problems (no oil pressure if the input shaft isn't turning) and it appears that it wouldn't be a good candidate for a flat-tow toad. Other people who have looked at the 5-speed say that there's no reason apparent that it wouldn't work OK -- I know one person who towed an '01 Jetta gasser (same transmission) something like 100K miles with no problem.

__. If you go with an auto, you should do a two-wheel dolly or even a trailer, as Scoop says. (I personally have seen too many two-wheel dollies give problems to be comfortable with them - others seem to get by with them OK. YMMV.)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Any ideas on why the 5spd would not be recommended for towing. I have contemplated getting an rv at some point and thought the tdi would be ideal for the purpose?

BoboBear

TDI
Jetta TDI-PD 2005
Most automatic transmission cars need an aftermarket lubricating pump installed before they can be towed flat on the ground. I don't know if one of these pumps can be installed on a Jetta transmission. You have to talk to the hitch people, they know all about setting up cars to be towed. Or go with the dolly/trailer.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
truman said:
Any ideas on why the 5spd would not be recommended for towing. I have contemplated getting an rv at some point and thought the tdi would be ideal for the purpose?
__. OK, we're on memory now but I believe that I was told that VW thinks that the turning of the output shafts isn't enough to circulate enough lube for the whole transmission. Somebody had pulled up a statement from VW that it was OK to tow one for 50 miles but then the engine should be started and allowed to idle with the clutch engaged in neutral to circulate transmission lube throughout the transmission.

__. As I mentioned, I have one friend who towed an '01 Jetta for nearly 100K miles before he traded for a Passat (I bought the Jetta-compatible towplate from him -- it wouldn't fit the Passat); he never had a problem.

aloser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
It broke down that often ......

mrGutWrench said:
__. As I mentioned, I have one friend who towed an '01 Jetta for nearly 100K miles before he traded for a Passat (I bought the Jetta-compatible towplate from him -- it wouldn't fit the Passat); he never had a problem.
that he had to tow it 100K miles? :eek:

I thought that only happened to Yugos! ;)

He must have been quite a patient sort to put up with it for so long. :rolleyes:

I hope the Passat was more reliable. :)

Last edited:

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Why can we not flat tow a DSG?

It is not your usual automatic. I know that it has clutches similar to a standard transmission that are electonically operated. When you place it it neutral, does it have pumps that need to be turned for lubrication?

Blue Ox makes a towing adapter for the front end of new Jetta.
http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX3823.pdf

Thanks,

Bill

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about Flat Towing a Jetta with a DSG?

I have just purchased a Motorhome and would like to flat tow one of my Jettas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I was just out in my Jetta and decided to do a test. My speed was about 20 MPH and I placed the DSG in Neutral. I turned the engine off with the key fully counter clockwise. The car coasted to a stop with the ease of a straight shift in netural. The steering lock would not engage no mater how much I turned the steering wheel. I could not remove the key from the sterring column. Once I stopped the car, placed the DSG in park, turned the key to on, then turned to key off, I could remove it.

Please, all comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Bill

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Sorry about the excessive number of posts. Maybe I will get all my questions out soon.

Appears to me the next question we need answered about a DSG is:

Does the DSG need the input shaft turning to run some kind of lubrication pump?

Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Will it be inappropriate to start another thread about DSG and Towing behind a motorhome?

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
Wha...!?

Don't you mean PUSH the motor home with the TDI?:D

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I delivered motor homes for 3 years. I towed my 03 Golf 5 speed aprox 225,000mi with no problems.

I wouldn't tow any auto that didn't have a factory approval. If the aftermarket pump fails then so will your tranny. I would use a tow dolly.

Last edited: