FYI: Synchromesh manual transmission fluid

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Probably not very relevant anymore as not many mk4s around but I was searching for some GM synchromesh manual transmission fluid and found that GM dealers are now super over priced and the prices vary significantly from dealer to dealer... Cheapest I found for a one liter bottle at the dealer was 18 plus tax, while another dealer was charging 41 plus tax :eek:

I have no idea how there could be such a discrepancy between dealers... I remember over 5 years ago bottles at some dealers were around 12 bucks... Napa actually has pennzoil synchromesh which is supposed to be the same thing as the Ac delco stuff for 15.50 plus tax

Just wanted to share

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thanks for the info. Trust me, there are plenty of MKIV around still. They don't seem to be going anywhere. Our MKIV parts sales have been pretty stable for years.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Thanks for the info. Trust me, there are plenty of MKIV around still. They don't seem to be going anywhere. Our MKIV parts sales have been pretty stable for years.
Glad to hear. The ontario forums have been really quiet and most have either sold their mk4s or upgraded so I assumed not much mk4 activity these days

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have six of them in my driveway right now. :p

I just use the OEM gear lube in them, though. *shrug*

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
My 3rd gear synchro is on its way out and I've heard good things about Synchromesh actually helping. I have also used it in my previous 03 golf and it seemed to work well (although I never had any issues with that car, just wanted to change it)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It does help things like grinding gears. I've extended the life of two transmissions by using synchromesh.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I guess I'll see once I change the fluid, would be nice not to grind 3rd after a harder acceleration

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Well, it definitely did make a difference, not necessarily from a smoothness point but I haven't grinded 3rd gear since even on hard pulls. It's early to tell but so far so good

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
That's great. For those who still have mk4s and wanna use synchromesh, you now know where to get it cheap :)