P1354 code

Jerry09w

TDI
Jetta 2000 Gy,1999 Wt
I have a 99.5 TDI with the ALH engine, 145K miles, history before 125K unknown. 5000 miles on the timing belt, nearly new battery. Last weekend it died while exiting an expressway in Brooklyn at the end of a 240 mile drive. I managed to get it to run in a couple of short bursts to a parking spot, where it stayed. It felt like no fuel although the tank was only 240 miles from full, and showing 7/8 on the fuel gauge. I changed the fuel filter, no change. I purchased a code reader and came up with P1354 Modulation Piston Displacement sensor electrical circuit malfunction. I unplugged and reattached plug 10, no change. Time for the 240 mile tow back home.

Once home I checked the resistance of the sensor coils at P10, and they were with in reason (about 5 ohms each). I also reseated the plug on the ECU, still no change.

Time for VagCom. Block 1 Modulation piston displacement reads 5.040 (vs 0.740 on my wife's car). I removed the top cover on the fuel pump and rotated the solenoid by hand, the reading did not change.

I can not find a pin layout for the ECU plug so I can check the wiring between the ECU and fuel pump.

Does anyone have any data that would allow me to check the wiring and know a way to simulate a known piston displacement at the fuel pump plug so I can see if the pump, wiring or ECU has failed?

Thanks.

:mad:

Jerry09w

TDI
Jetta 2000 Gy,1999 Wt
Problem Found

Finally found a corroded and broken wire under the battery tray.
It helped to have another TDI around for comparative readings.

Mac_H

TDI
2000 Golf
Same error code, similar fix (cross-post, but good to know)

Just an FYI, I was driving the Golf (2000, 208K) down to the train this morning (that's right, it's Diesels all the way down...), and the engine just sort of quit. Snow is pounding down. Seriously bumming. As long as I was rolling I was able to keep it sort of running, but finally the slope ended. I used the starter to chug into the nearest parking lot, but of course, today is the start of our biggest snowstorm of the season! (Never happens when it's sunny!...) My friend brought his code reader, and we found P1354. Description? Useless. But we then did a quick search of TDI Forums, and found these few postings. Checked for corrosion in the fuel pump harness connector. Nothing to see. Popped it back together, and with nothing to do before calling a tow, we tried the engine again. BINGO. Engine happy, errors cleared. Missed train, but got to work at home, so life is good.

TDI Club rocks.

From this and other posts, I'd say this error code generally means check all the wiring, connectors, etc (or as much as you can), before one starts pulling too many parts off...

Mac
2000 Golf
208k miles
Maynard, MA

Last edited: