Sunflower oil modifications clarification.

Stevie Tease

TDI
97 A4 TDI
Guys,

I bought an old 96 Audi A4 tdi a couple of years ago from an old geezer that had a chippy and used to run it on his old sunflower old.
Its had a few mods that I am trying to work out why they have been done and if I need to put some or all back to standard.

As far as I can see the egr (even though its still fitted) has a couple of blanking gaskets, one between it and the inlet and the other on the stainless flexy pipe from the exhaust manifold. The vacuum hose setup is also non-standard it has extra wiring.

Its been no probs for 2 years flying through the mot and emissions but now has an intermittent fault which I think is either fueling or turbo related so am just trying to get my head round why the mods?

Cheers

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I’m not familiar with the 96 Audi. But many folks WVO or not, disable the EGR in hopes of preventing soot buildup in the intake manifold. As for the vacuum hoses, I’m not aware of any WVO related reasons to do that. Perhaps the EGR is vacuum operated and that is part of the same issue? Or like many older cars, things like vacuum and wiring get modified or “fixed” over the years?

Do cars over there have the OBD diagnostic connections? Do you get any codes?

Stevie Tease

TDI
97 A4 TDI
Cheers for the reply - That's the funny thing, I get no codes and no management light however the light comes on and goes out after about 3 seconds of the car starting which is what you would expect of first ignition.
I think I have sussed the vacuums, as there are 2 N75 valves fitted for some reason but both into the same vacuum config. The EGR is vacuum operated but that bit looks as per the manual so I am just going to remove the blankings and give it a decoke once my new gaskets arrive. From other posts I think my problem is with the turbo wastegate and actuator as the induction system is full of old oil so I have a secondhand turbo on the way also.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Sounds like a great project. If you haven’t already noticed, some folks on here are incredibly knowledgable about these cars. Post questions in the regular technical section, and you’ll be flooded with good answers.

BTW, aren’t you guys banning diesels sometime in the near future?