New Filler Neck

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
Anyone had their car serviced at VW lately? I just had my compressor replaced and they swapped the filler neck and installed a device to prevent mis-fueling. Gasoline nozzles won't fit now, kind of interesting.

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
All well and good until some jack wagon gas jockey replaces the one diesel pump nozzle with a gas one... :rolleyes:

TommyTuTone

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/Premium
rms85702 is right!! Apparently a common issue; I once had to drive to 5 pumps at 3 different stations before I could find a diesel nozzle that would go into my tank!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
All well and good until some jack wagon gas jockey replaces the one diesel pump nozzle with a gas one... :rolleyes:

rms85702 is right!! Apparently a common issue; I once had to drive to 5 pumps at 3 different stations before I could find a diesel nozzle that would go into my tank!
Which is yet another reason that YOU should not wait until the last minute to fuel up your TDI.
I capitalized YOU because nobody else decides when or where YOU stop for fuel.
Don't forget that the color of the pump handle has no bearing on what product comes out the spout. ;)

Bill

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Which is yet another reason that YOU should not wait until the last minute to fuel up your TDI.
Don't forget that the color of the pump handle has no bearing on what product comes out the spout. ;)

Bill
But it was green so i thought it was diesel........:p

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
If I have to go to the dealer for something I think I will tell them not to install this safety devise unless they are going to give me the adapter to use other size nozzles. I think the dealer is finished for me now that I have 85,000 miles and the dry area I live in I don't expect any exhaust valve problems.

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Bill, I whole heartedly agree with you. I my self don't really wait until the last drop if fuel is pumped from the tank to fill up. I try to keep at least a half tanks worth of fuel in the car.

Your also right about how no one decides when I stop for fuel, its usually my bladder that decides. :cool:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
. . . and they swapped the filler neck and installed a device to prevent mis-fueling. Gasoline nozzles won't fit now
Since a gas nozzle is narrower, how exactly does the new device work?

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
Since a gas nozzle is narrower, how exactly does the new device work?
Just filled up today with the misfuel device. What a treat that was only took 15 minutes to pump 11 gallons. I could hear the fuel rising up the tank then click like every 10 seconds. What a joke this thing is. They should have called the no fuel adaptor. Lol

millerman61

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav, DSG. Bought back on 12/23/16
Just filled up today with the misfuel device. What a treat that was only took 15 minutes to pump 11 gallons. I could hear the fuel rising up the tank then click like every 10 seconds. What a joke this thing is. They should have called the no fuel adaptor. Lol
My 2013 came with this already installed. I have never had this problem when filling up.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
So...today I experienced the exact same thing. I'm taking it Monday for 40k mile service and they are removing this "misfuel" guard.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
The pump clicking off early is a direct result of the flapper that is apart of this mod. The flapper sits too far down into the filler neck for some pump handles. When the nozzle is in the filler neck, it doesn't push the flapper up enough to get it out of the way of the fuel. This tricks the pump handle into thinking the tank is full and thus clicking off.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
So...today I experienced the exact same thing. I'm taking it Monday for 40k mile service and they are removing this "misfuel" guard.
This is how they stoped misfuelling. By not allowing any fuel, gas or diesel. :D

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
New Filler Neck options

Another option o get past a gas nozzle on a diesel pump is to use the VW filler neck adapter or modify a transmission fluid fill nozzle, usually they have a very small diameter neck, and use that. I use the transmission filler funnel when spouse has no time to stop in morning for diesel fuel and fill Jetta from a "YELLOW" plastic diesel fuel can - - diesel fuel for my diesel lawn tractor.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
The pump clicking off early is a direct result of the flapper that is apart of this mod. The flapper sits too far down into the filler neck for some pump handles. When the nozzle is in the filler neck, it doesn't push the flapper up enough to get it out of the way of the fuel. This tricks the pump handle into thinking the tank is full and thus clicking off.
I didn't know that for a fact, but I was thinking the exact same thing. Pumps that don't have the wire around the nozzle seem to cause no problems, while pumps that do have the wire around them cause tons of issues.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
If I have to go to the dealer for something I think I will tell them not to install this safety devise unless they are going to give me the adapter to use other size nozzles. I think the dealer is finished for me now that I have 85,000 miles and the dry area I live in I don't expect any exhaust valve problems.
Make sure you do so before any service, because it seems to be an automatic installation otherwise. Of course, there are instructions around on how to remove it, so you can always wait and take it back out. Shouldn't impact you since you're out of the warranty period altogether. For others, if might create issues with getting a warranty repair on a HPFP failure.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
My first fuel with it went like a dream. The second a freaking nightmare. If it doesn't get it's act together that SOB is getting removed. However, I'm going to give it a few more fills just to insure it wasn't an issue with the pump.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
My first fuel with it went like a dream. The second a freaking nightmare. If it doesn't get it's act together that SOB is getting removed. However, I'm going to give it a few more fills just to insure it wasn't an issue with the pump.
I called the dealer and they said they haven't heard of anyone having problems with it. Really???? I'm at a half tank now so will be filling up on Wednesday or Thursday. If it goes like the last time I'm taking it back.

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
I try to use the same station every time I fuel up. Even if I need to use a different one, I try to stick with Irving and they seem to have newer (and cleaner!) pumps. Therefore, no issues with the guard so far.

All this talk about stations having different sized nozzles though has got me a bit concerned when I decide to take a road trip.

With this adaptor people are buying, it there something you can get to store it in to keep the smell of diesel out of the trunk / cabin in the event you need to actually use it?

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
I called the dealer and they said they haven't heard of anyone having problems with it. Really???? I'm at a half tank now so will be filling up on Wednesday or Thursday. If it goes like the last time I'm taking it back.
Yep, Same Station, Same pump, Same freaking nozzle. The 1st time filled up without a hiccup. Usually after about 5 gallons I have to manually meter the flow otherwise the handle kicks off.

Second time. about 4 gallons in...click...1/2 gallon....click...manually meter...click.....click....click...took forever to get a fill and I seemed to be getting a lot of foam backing up out of the filler.

But maybe the pump was just having a bad day.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Yep, Same Station, Same pump, Same freaking nozzle. The 1st time filled up without a hiccup. Usually after about 5 gallons I have to manually meter the flow otherwise the handle kicks off.

Second time. about 4 gallons in...click...1/2 gallon....click...manually meter...click.....click....click...took forever to get a fill and I seemed to be getting a lot of foam backing up out of the filler.

But maybe the pump was just having a bad day.
Yup exactly same issue I had but did it from the get go. The dealer suggested pulling the nozzle out like a quarter inch to see if that helps. Going to fill up tomorrow on my way to work. Leaving twenty minutes early just to fill up. I'm going to the same pump and see if what happens this time. Lol

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: 3rd fill went like a dream, but based on mileage figures I clearly didn't get a full tank on the 2nd fill even though it was up to the lip.

So maybe it was a pump issue.