Volkswagen exec reaffirms commitment to diesel: ‘Now it is absolutely clean’

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Correct, buyback NMS manual cars cannot be re-sold. Sad. But if owners kept them they can re-sell them.
My brother and his wife had a 6-speed manual Passat TDI. They really liked it, but since Volkswagen couldn’t fix it they’re now in a maxed out dealer model. They’re happy enough with it, but like me their next car will be a Tesla. ICE engines are so yesterday.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So, is VW ever bringing back any diesel cars to Amerika?
No one has any idea. It would seem logical to say no, never, but if fuel prices go through the roof, if emissions regs relax, if new regs on gasoline cars make them less competitive...there are any number of scenarios that might compel VW to bring them back. But most likely not before they do their penance by making a bunch of electric cars.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We won't see new VW diesels as long as there is still a large stock of fixed diesels on the used market.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We won't see new VW diesels as long as there is still a large stock of fixed diesels on the used market.
And that may be part of why they are in no rush to bring any new ones here.

But there is no reason that they "can't". They will just be subjected to a little more thorough testing than before, same as everyone else is now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
ICE engines are so yesterday.
For some applications. I drove my Wagon 2600 miles over the past 5 days. Would have taken me 50% longer in a Tesla. When electrics have a 1200 mile range so you don't have to charge during the day on a road trip, then I'd consider one.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have said it before, and I maybe wrong, but I quoted an off the record statement from corporate source that part of VW settlement with Feds was they would not bring any more diesels to US.

But then I think current emissions limits and added cost/loss of MPG in diesel cars means there isn't a good business case for TDI cars right now. Add in the big push to electric and the high MPG of newer gas cars and I just don't see VW bringing any TDI cars over.

JAson

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
For some applications. I drove my Wagon 2600 miles over the past 5 days. Would have taken me 50% longer in a Tesla. When electrics have a 1200 mile range so you don't have to charge during the day on a road trip, then I'd consider one.
If you have to stop on your road trip to 'refuel' an electric car, how long does that take? Or is that why you said it would take 50% longer?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes. I've planned that trip with a Tesla on their app. It's an 18 hour drive end to end, and the Tesla would need 6-7 hours charging time. Assuming it's not too hot or cold. Much more in winter. If I drive it straight through in my Wagon I have to fill once, usually around Cleveland on the way out, or in PA on the way back. 15 min tops.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
My brother and his wife had a 6-speed manual Passat TDI. They really liked it, but since Volkswagen couldn’t fix it they’re now in a maxed out dealer model. They’re happy enough with it, but like me their next car will be a Tesla. ICE engines are so yesterday.
ICE engines, and specially gasoline ICE engines, will be hard to get rid of at current fuel prices in the US.

United States has probably one of the least expensive costs of hydrocarbon fuels in the industrialized world.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I have said it before, and I maybe wrong, but I quoted an off the record statement from corporate source that part of VW settlement with Feds was they would not bring any more diesels to US.

But then I think current emissions limits and added cost/loss of MPG in diesel cars means there isn't a good business case for TDI cars right now. Add in the big push to electric and the high MPG of newer gas cars and I just don't see VW bringing any TDI cars over.

JAson
1) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a light duty diesel vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
2) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a hybrid gasoline vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
3) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a electrical vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?

Based on the above, and considering the current price of gasoline in the US would you see any substantial growth in the "USA EV sales up to 2.5% of total market" (source 55) or light duty diesel for that matter?

BeetleGo

TDI
ICE engines will be around for a while longer. No doubt! But range and how you charge them will change the automotive landscape very quickly. It already has! But wait until the induction charging means cordless auto charging every time you come home, and Maxwell batteries extend range even into TDI territory.

Existing ICE engines don’t count. They’re already out there, but moving forward ICE engines are beginning to look like horse drawn buggies.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
1) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a light duty diesel vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
2) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a hybrid gasoline vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
3) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a electrical vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?

Based on the above, and considering the current price of gasoline in the US would you see any substantial growth in the "USA EV sales up to 2.5% of total market" (source 55) or light duty diesel for that matter?
Based on what's in my driveway or things that we are talking about:
Upcharge for diesel over gas on my Ram was around 11%.
Upcharge for hybrid for a RAv4 is around 9% and 18% for the Highlander. Those may not make it to my driveway if my wife retires at the end of this school year. She won't need an economical commuter anymore and can use the JSW until the wheels fall off.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ICE engines aren't "going anywhere" until electrics can replace turbines.
I saw where the FFA will be assisting in testing an all electric small aircraft for commercial travel this week. Looks like it's probably in the range of a 6-8 seater. Something like 12 motors though. Can't find the link right now, but I'll keep digging.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
ICE engines aren't "going anywhere" until electrics can replace turbines.
In airplanes? They don't use ICE, as we know them, now. They are more accurately continuous combustion engines.

As far as electric replacing turbines - most turbo fans mainly produce thrust from then large fan blade run by the jet engine, not the thrust from the engine itself. Replace the engine with a electric motor.

Bigger issue is energy storage to power the motor. Fuel cells, batteries, ??? But there have been advancements that allow couple hour flights most recently in personal/commuter jet size craft.

I think they are close to something viable, but the next hurdle is fleet turn over and cost of turn over.

Jason

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And being able to put that aircraft into the sky in any weather and anytime of the day or night.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I saw where the FFA will be assisting in testing an all electric small aircraft for commercial travel this week. Looks like it's probably in the range of a 6-8 seater. Something like 12 motors though. Can't find the link right now, but I'll keep digging.
FFA (Future Farmers of America)? Maybe you mean the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). ;)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
In airplanes? They don't use ICE, as we know them, now. They are more accurately continuous combustion engines.
Well, there are really still quite a few ICE powered aircraft. But few of them hold more than 4-6 passengers, including the pilot. It's one of the few remaining places that leaded gasoline is still in use. They are working on an unleaded replacement, but so far there's nothing certified. Some small aircraft are STC'd (basically a permit to use something the plane wasn't certified for) for using normal automotive gasoline, but nothing that is used for commercial aviation if I recall correctly.

I was pretty sure FFA was supposed to be FAA. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Well, there are really still quite a few ICE powered aircraft. But few of them hold more than 4-6 passengers, including the pilot. It's one of the few remaining places that leaded gasoline is still in use. They are working on an unleaded replacement, but so far there's nothing certified. Some small aircraft are STC'd (basically a permit to use something the plane wasn't certified for) for using normal automotive gasoline, but nothing that is used for commercial aviation if I recall correctly.
I was pretty sure FFA was supposed to be FAA. :D
Virtually all of them are powered by ICE. Jet engines are very much internal combustion engines.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Here's hoping.

My preference would be an updated model of what I have now. A 2-door Golf TDI, 6 speed manual transmission, no sun roof. I'd be happy with minimal electronics. I'd even be happy with manual windows.

For me, it's a recipe for a longer term minimal maintenance automobile. Like the early Beetle.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wasn't one of their issues with the bioblends gelling at extreme temperatures, like when you're 45,000 above the earth.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Virtually all of them are powered by ICE. Jet engines are very much internal combustion engines.
Absolutely true. But there is no reciprocating mass. Everything just rotates smoothly in the same direction. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Absolutely true. But there is no reciprocating mass. Everything just rotates smoothly in the same direction. :D
Right. Like a Wankel- yet another type of ICE. I get it though, most people associate ICE with piston power.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't know why it stuck in my head, but in my head I always looked at a jet as external combustion. Probably more to do with the flame from afterburning military jets.

jason

BeetleGo

TDI
Some type of biodiesel/fuel has/is/was being tested for the military and civilian jet market. Don't know how far that got though.
The U.S. military is America’s primary user of biodiesel to this day (all that cooking oil gets processed. The second largest user is any fleet that has (turbo)diesels. America by law required that all fleets larger than ??? had to make their cars/truck fleet 15% renewable by 2006. Biodiesel worked great and at 20%, it covered more than enough!