Got a traffic ticket !

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
My friend got a traffic ticket yesterday for running a stop sign. We were just going to the office. The cop even said if we decide to fight this, he will show up. It's a set fine of $110 under section 134.
Just wanted some input from you guys, how can my friend go bout this?
Is x-copper good?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The cop gets paid to show up. :( If he didn't stop, time to man up and pay, otherwise fight it.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I know that not stopping is really bad. I stop all the time, and so does my buddy. This one instance, he got a bit carried away, and run the stop sign and made a right turn, huge mistake.
Now that he got the ticket, what should he do about ?
It stands to get on his record for three years, and an insurance hike, which wants to avoid.
I am helping him through this, I just wanted to know are agencies like x-copper good for fighting these tickets?
Has anyone have experience with them?
Thanks

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I know that not stopping is really bad. I stop all the time, and so does my buddy. This one instance, he got a bit carried away, and run the stop sign and made a right turn, huge mistake.
Now that he got the ticket, what should he do about ?
It stands to get on his record for three years, and an insurance hike, which wants to avoid.
I am helping him through this, I just wanted to know are agencies like x-copper good for fighting these tickets?
Has anyone have experience with them?
Thanks
No offense intended here, but perhaps your friend should consult someone who actually knows about traffic tickets??? Perhaps a lawyer? The fact that you have to ask on a car forum indicates that you are not the right person to help him.

Kudos for wanting to help, though!

Bill

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Its the weekend, we will call the respective places tomorrow. I am not here to attain any type of legal advise. I am here just to get some opinions from members who may have got a ticket in the past, and can help on what's the best way it can be dealt with. I am sorry, I thought we were a community here trying to help our fellow members out.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
i got a ticket for running a stop sign, operating a vehicle in an imprudent manor, and 86 in a 60, and got it all fixed by an attourney. its a bit expensive but not bad considering what a ticket can do to your insurance. you dont have to go to court or anything they take care of the whole thing. shouldnt be a hassle at all.

EDIT: my ticket was on a motorcycle if it matters :p

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Its the weekend, we will call the respective places tomorrow. I am not here to attain any type of legal advise. I am here just to get some opinions from members who may have got a ticket in the past, and can help on what's the best way it can be dealt with. I am sorry, I thought we were a community here trying to help our fellow members out.
We are, and I gave the best help I could just as you are trying to do. My own experience in the US will not translate to another country....

Good luck!

Bill

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
pay the ticket learn the lesson quit whining

YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER PAY A TICKET. Traffic tickets are nothing but a money grab and a way to generate money for the municipality and the insurance companies. Ask any cop, paralegal, or any one who is in the business. YES - there is something to be said for obeying the rules and traffic safety and so on. There are some idiots out there who deserve to get hammered, which should be up to the cops discretion, however, cops are pushed to give out tickets. Is the soccer mom driving 65 in a 50 or 55 in a 40 really endangering society? Or if she happens to roll two inches past the striped line and the cop sitting there nails her?

Here's my advice:

I used to always go to one of those paralegal organizations to fight my tickets. However, I realized that there is absolutely nothing they can do for you that you can't do for yourself as long as you know how the system works. It's like going to the stealership to get your car serviced, before you discovered TDI club :) There are basically two ways to fight a ticket. 1. You ask for a court date and hope the cop doesn't show up. This costs you absolutely nothing and you have a so so chance of getting off; more thin these days than in the old days, but it can happen and does happen all the time.

2. You go to the court and file for disclosure of evidence. You will be provided with the cops notes and hope that he either didn't take any notes, or made a mistake in his notes. Sometimes during those traps cops process so many people so quickly, they forget to or don;t take detailed enough notes. If you can identify a mistake in his notes, which is his only evidence, you fight it and try to get off, still nothing to lose over just paying the ticket, unless the ticket was reduced in which case the Crown may ask that you be found guilty of the original speeding offence, not the reduced charge. Even then in most cases, the JP, unless a complete dick, will deny the Crown's request and you'll be charged with the original offence. Now almost always, if you fight your ticket and you go a bit early before the JP enters the court room and speak to the prosecutor, the prosecutor will offer you a deal of a reduced fine and reduced points, and in most cases no points at all depending on the charge, if you plead to the reduced charges. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FREE and you have accomplished the exact same thing any paralegal would do for you for $250 plus dollars. The prosecutors offer the deals because they just want to move you through the system quick, grab your money, and get your ass out. Contested hearings take up court time and in the end probably nets them less money, than offering you the quick deal and having you out and on your way, with the easy money in their pockets and you feeling like they did you a great f*king favour. Further, depending on your buddies driving record and age and so on, generally speaking the amount a paralegal charges you to fight your ticket,will most like be more than the amount your insurance company would raise your rates for the ticket.

3. The other way to get off, is if the cop made a mistake on the ticket. But the mistake has to be a critical one such as wrong time, date, location, wrong charge, or wrong wording of the charge, or if the ticket was not signed. A simple typo such as mispelling a name, plate, or driver's license number, will no longer get you off as they changed the rules, and the JP will simply ask the cop to amend the ticket in front of your face and the trial will continue.

My advice is for your buddy to fight it himself as described above. He will probably be offered a deal by the prosecutor for $60.00 exactly and no points. I know this, because I just fought the exact same ticket last week. He will pay $80.00 in total with taxes, court costs, and any other sh*t they can add on there. The one question I have is how the F*CK can they charge tax on a fine? Which is basically a government tax anyways. So it's tax on a TAX! You gotta love it. GOOD LUCK!!

The other thing I wanted to add to this is that most insurance companies will allow two minor tickets on your record, without nailing you, this is directly from my insurance broker's mouth. A lot of tickets take up to a year to get to court and it is only entered onto your record upon conviction and then it stays on your record for three years from the date of conviction. So if you juggle things right, and delay a conviction while you are waiting for something else to clear, you will avoid rate hikes. If you already have two tickets on your record and they are both recent, you better play nice till they clear! Ask me how I know all this!

Last edited:

aywkubttod

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
pay the ticket learn the lesson quit whining
i'd say the same thing to anyone in the USA, but (from what others have posted in the past) it sounds like the consequences are a bit more severe in Canada, in terms of the impact on insurance and license-points; however, it also sounds exponentially easier to get out of owning up to the consequences with a little work.

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
Re: cop not showing

As mentioned, less likely these days. When I had a ticket, the cop didn't show but the prosecutor just got it delayed to another date and that seemed completely routine. That was in another province though and a number of years ago.

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
dude if he didnt get any points just tell him to man up and pay it. at the end it was his fault, if you go a lawyer route or xcopper he will pay 3 times the amount..

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
I've never seen the prosecutor seek an adjournment of a matter based on the fact that the cop did not show. I've been to court a lot of times and every time the cop didn't show everybody got off. It may be different in other provinces, but Ive never seen it here. I love watching half the court room just walkout when the cop doesn't show. It is always a joyful occasion, other than the time you lost :)

Last edited:

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
It stays on the record for 3 years from the date of offense, but it won't affect your insurance until you are convicted or pay the ticket. So even if you don't get a lawyer, you can hold it up in court for awhile so it would be on your insurance for less time.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, A big thanks to everyone but Chrisfiat, for your advise. Some good advise. I truly appreciate it.
I wish it was as easy paying the ticket, and being over and done with it. I would hate it, but the damn thing comes on your record for three years after conviction.
You guys made my day ! I will call my buddy, and tell him what my fellow members said.

Last edited:

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Got pulled over today heading to the KW Vw show. It was a sped trap, and I was doing the limit. Pulled me aside and went all over my '72 beetle. Top to bottom. Gave me a ticket for non functioning horn.

Told me to take it to court, and when I see him, to tell him it's all fixed and he'll drop the charge. What a waste of time!

Then the young cop taked about all his modified TL, and early MR2 that he had coilovers, poly everything, camber plates, j-spec light wheels and some other crap. My buddy with a mk1 rabbit pickup got a handbrake(officers opinion was weak), and a horn because the horn button on the dash needs to be on the steering wheel.

Both officers said watchout, next 6 weeks they are blitzing everything, and have pulled 40cars off the road the past couple of weeks.

Heading to downtown Toronto in the morning to push it to trial. Horn was working yesterday when I renewed the car appraisal info, but not today. Go figure. Why take it to trial? Cause if I don't, this will be my 3rd ticket on the drivers abstract(2other minor speeding), and my daily driver TDI insurance premium doubles, and I lose my classic car insurance. ****ers!

Pete

chrisfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta
to bad you ( "or your buddy") doesn't have the balls to admit a mistake and learn from it. I don't like the consequences of the fines and payment either, but i got side swiped by a light runner and had my car totled. the dickheads excuse was he nwas busy on the phone and acted like i just shouldn't hav ebeen in his way. f***k that. he spent over 3K fighting the ticket , and in the end spent 90 days in jail. he just should have payed up on the weckless driving charge and he would have only lost his liscense for 60 days. pay the damn fine and pay attention to your driving a littke mistake can KILL !!!!

T

TDI Rooster

You know they (the traffic police) are doing a job but than again since (the participants of this thread except for the one member that started the thread) weren't actually involved in this specific traffic ticket we can never know exactly what the circumstances of either side is/was.. We have to read it as is and hope for the best outcome.. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
i payed for an attorney and i still learned my lesson form the first experience with the police in my life: cops can and will write down whatever they want on the ticket, and they are lying d-bags. :D

(yeah, i know a sample size of 1 isnt really fair to the police, lol)

rrobbiiee

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta GLS
From my experience with tickets the only way your insurance won't be affected is if the ticket is completely thrown out, or you are found not guilty.

Points only affect your driver's license, any type of conviction (except red light camera, etc...) will take hit on your insurance. So don't be surprised that even if you get the sentence reduced a save some coin upfront on the charge your insurance will still go up.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a wicked good lawyer... got me out of 3 tickets with complete dismissal. All were my fault. PM for info. I think he charger 250-300 upfront and another 50 after court date.

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
I have a wicked good lawyer... got me out of 3 tickets with complete dismissal. All were my fault. PM for info. I think he charger 250-300 upfront and another 50 after court date.

Yeah I always wondered how they were able to do that. Unless the cop doesn't show or the charge is withdrawn due to insufficient evidence (ie. cop didn't take notes or made a mistake in his notes), why would a prosecutor dismiss a charge. I think what likely happens is if the prosecutor is good buddies with the agent they just split the money and make it disappear. :D
In a lot of cases though, if they don't know the prosecutor, the only thing these agents can do is save you the points or get them reduced, which anyone can do for themselves by showing up and speaking to the prosecutor. Unless you don't have the time or your facing something serious, I wouldn't bother with those guys.

bardie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI DSG and 2004 Jetta Wagon 5sp no mods
I have received a similar ticket recently in Innisfil. I have requested disclosure and haven't as yet received it. I plan on going to court in October to fight the ticket.

I doubt I will win but in the end even if the cop shows up the province doesn't want costly trials. They will "offer" you a reduction to an offense with no points and a fine that is a little smaller. This will, provided your friend doesn't have any other tickets, allow him to not get an increase in his insurance.

Hope this helps.

p.s. excopper etal are good if you don't want to go to court. Pay them $200.00 and they do the negotiating for you. No need to show up

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I doubt I will win but in the end even if the cop shows up the province doesn't want costly trials. They will "offer" you a reduction to an offense with no points and a fine that is a little smaller. This will, provided your friend doesn't have any other tickets, allow him to not get an increase in his insurance.
That last bit really depends on your insurance company. To many insurance companies these days a moving violation is a moving violation whether it is a major or minor one. So, using X-copper (or similar) may get you reduced fine and maybe no demerit point reduction, but your insurance may still go up by the same amount.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Sorry to say, but I also concur with posters telling this guy to quit whining and to pay up.
Not only do I drive, but I also ride a cycle. There are way too many people running red lights. Too many do "rolling" stops at 20 k/ph etc. Anyone of them getting a ticket are deservedly so. Unfortunately not too many are actually caught!

Last edited:

bardie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI DSG and 2004 Jetta Wagon 5sp no mods
cycle as in motor or bi?

If you are a bicycle rider I hope you're the one that actually obeys the rules of the road... you''d be the only one I've ever seen

If you are a motorcycle rider I hope you're one of the few that doesn't squirt between cars at 120kmph on the highway..

No matter what happens with this ticket. The man is innocent until PROVEN guilty. So stop with the "I wish he'd stop whining comments". Let him fight the fight and if he wins great. If he doesn't then he can't whine.