How important is the insulation under the hood?

Oblio13

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat
That's what I was afraid of. I remember a pickup truck I had back when the earth and I were very young, and the underside of the hood rusted badly above the battery.

So, where does one buy a replacement, and how is it attached? Some sort of adhesive?

Sorry in advance for the dumb questions, I'm not much of a mechanic.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I think it's adhesive bound.

Probably only place to get an exact fit is the dealer. Bet you can find out what it's made of and get it from a supplier cheaper tho.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I've had mine off for 3 years ,along with no engine cover. No problems with the heat hood still looks good as new except the rock chips.
Two of the years I put 30,000 miles on it each year in the heat of Charleston SC.

I would personally say if you don't mind the added noise go with out .

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Mine sort of fell apart. I replaced it with Dynamat and that seems to do as well. On other reason for having it is the reduced noise.

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
My hood had 2 mice eating the liner last week...what the hell is in the liner that attracks them?! Anyways, the mice had their necks snapped and I have a softball size hole in my 09 TDI liner...but not all the way to the hood yet. It drives me nuts when I look at it. I'd like to find a new one