New Project

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Looks good....love the ALH wagons!
I just picked one up 2 days ago .... looks identical.
Mine was a victom of a prothe timming belt (lasted 18,000kms.)
I scooped mine for $600cdn with a mint body and an auto trans,(plan on 3 pedal mod).

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Love wagon's too, you won't be disapointed.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Some history (what little I actually "know")- the PO tells me he ran it after "breaking the oil pump-hit something" so I assume the main/rod bearings and overhead cam journals are damaged. It will need rebuild or swap a used running engine in. He said he had it repaired, but it did not "fix" it. CLEAN oil in the engine is obvious on the dipstick.

The battery is flat dead, and did not respond to an overnight floating charger. It may revive if I pull it out, put it in a warm place and put it on a real charger, but I suspect I'll be buying a new battery!

I jumped it with my running Passat to test electronics before the sun went down tonight.

Some stuff checked out OK:
power windows
power sunroof
hatch door release
fuel door release
radio
all door locks open close button (only with key on)
both power mirror adjusts

briefly turned over the engine- the starter worked (but labored, slow crank)

Question, was this because of engine bearings damage? Not sure.

What did not work?

remote lock/unlock doors
driver side seat heater

So I will repeat this exercise and connect my HEX+CAN this weekend and probe the codes this weekend.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
If it ran without oil, mains are done for sure, followed by the rods. My wife just did this and mains were done, rods were ok, head was ok. Made it a 2.0L.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Looks Great! I just got my ALH wagon on the road... I love it! Mine had front end damage and a bad tranny. It was a bunch of work but totally worth it! I hope you get this one rolling again with out too much trouble.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
It is sitting in my back yard now. I jumped it to test the electronics and get an autoscan (VCDS). No CAN, but it is a 1J category "golf/bora" ECU. All checks out and I had to replace a 5amp fuse for the door locks (5 or 6). Then, the driver door key locked, or unlocked ALL doors, no problem.

More cool, the twist and hold activated the ALL windows up, or ALL windows down feature after ~5 seconds, as it should. Very good! Saving $ for this project now. It will take a few months. More soon ;)

Frosty hood!

[/url]2003-ALH_wagon2 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

2003-ALH_wagon1 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr

Last edited:

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
Nice find!
I'd drive my '02 Jwagen anytime rather than drive the '14 Sportwagen the CFO had. It was noisier and the seats weren't as comfortable to me.
Another MkIV saved, Yeah.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked under the front and the oil pan seems like it might be new (shiny clean aluminum silver). I need to get a floor jack under there and get a better look.

I went down to Belton and talked to Mo at Cool Air about it, and he told me he thought the turbo would go first when the oil pressure dropped. But it won't start, and labors to turn over, so crankshaft main bearings must be dragging. It makes me wonder why the mechanic that worked on it bothered to bolt in an oil pump. Seems that it would not have been difficult to tell that the crank was hard to turn.

There is NEW parts on top of the engine. Obvious new fuel filter, but also there is a new valve on the ducting that comes out of the top of the manifold. What is that? Does it go to the intercooler?

Also, the splash guard ("skid" plate) is missing. Presumably removed before or DURING the road debris impact! May have to get a Panzer plate or one of those nice aluminum skid plates from IDParts after this wagon is on the road again. The dollars are adding up, and I haven't even started :eek:

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Post a pic of the thingy, :cool:

Some mechanics are lazy, also greedy. If they condemn the engine right away, they won't make any money, so replacing the oil pump is gravy-labour plus a pan and oil pump.

Turbo will go but won't make any difference as the engine will lock up, lol.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Well. I'd start w/ the basics, seeing as how it's had a bunch of work done, you don't know the full scope of the problem that made it stop running, and so on.
I'd check the timing real quick, pop the valve cover off and compare the cam to the timing mark on the flywheel, see if the IP is on time too.
If you don't feel like doing that start with a new starter and jumping the battery that's in it.
I bought a car that was in a field for a year and the first two things I had to buy were a starter and a battery.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Thingy

It's the valve behind the oil filler cap. New part (within a year I suppose). What is this thingy? Seems like two vaccum actuators... one on top of the thing and another on the post on the side actuator. It connects to the manifold, and also to the newish looking fat tube that passes by the cam belt to the plastic squarish tube. To intercooler?

[/url]valve2 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]
Another view. The new fuel filter can be seen in this one. Seems the car had maintenance. PO is clammed up regarding what was done about the oil pump.

[/url]valve1 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]
No engine cover, no skid plate on this engine... Who knows why.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Interesting...

I wonder whether that EGR valve was replaced because it was leaking (some signs of that) or because it was dirty? If it was because it was dirty then perhaps this work was done in conjunction with cleaning the intake? Botched intake cleaning?

What does the engine feel like if turning it by hand (via crank bolt)?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting...

I wonder whether that EGR valve was replaced because it was leaking (some signs of that) or because it was dirty? If it was because it was dirty then perhaps this work was done in conjunction with cleaning the intake? Botched intake cleaning?

What does the engine feel like if turning it by hand (via crank bolt)?

No reason to suspect a botched intake cleaning right now. OP's story is he biffed the oil pump, ran it with the oil light on for 10 blocks :eek:

Turbo, main bearings, rod bearings probably gone. Maybe some issues in the head as well. I had a running Passat connected to it (jumper cables), and it labored when trying to turn it over briefly. I don't think it is a weak starter.

If the intake was cleaned, that's good. The cam belt appears to be fine. Hopefully this is the original engine and original head.

Saving up for this. I am buried at work, can't do it myself.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The thingy is the EGR valve and ASV valve. The ASV closes the intake when you turn the key off to stop an engine runaway.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I'd be looking for a good used engine, instead of trying to repair that one......often you can find a complete ALH powered mk4 with blown automatic trany for practicaly peanuts.....or better yet a manual one so you can do a 5 spd swap too.....just wait and watch.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
The thingy is the EGR valve and ASV valve. The ASV closes the intake when you turn the key off to stop an engine runaway.
Oh. I wonder if the PO experienced a runaway? Glad it is new, regardless.;)

Good advice on the swap. Richard (Cool Air) told me he had an engine, and a set of parts (some pulled, some new) for MT conversion.

Maybe I should keep this engine as a spare, to be delved into and possibly rebuilt when I have time.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I saw the crash that ended the life of your mk6 wagon :(
Glad you're mostly okay! Here's to a speedy recovery! :cool:

Subscribed for updates on this :)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
destroyed head, enough evidence to junk the motor

Metal shavings in the oil pan, and two of the journals on the cam were badly damaged. The head is junk. Richard had used ALH long block with 5MT so that engine is now installed. It is an engine that he had serviced for years for the previous owner- a Golf that was involved in an unfortunate accident with lots of body damage, but no impact with another car.

The 3 pedal conversion was complete last week too. Really nice work. The turbo did not have any unusual play, and it spun freely, but having been run dry for at least 5 minutes with no oil pressure, the thing could fail at any moment, stranding me in the middle of nowhere. So I got a new Garrett VNT15. Richard also recommended a clutch with a solid flywheel, and a few other things. There's a new timing belt kit, new coolant, brakes are bled and new fluid. Chances are this car will have another 200k miles in front of it.

He is wrapping up the project this week. I can't wait to take it on the open road later this Spring!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd be looking for a good used engine, instead of trying to repair that one......often you can find a complete ALH powered mk4 with blown automatic trany for practicaly peanuts.....or better yet a manual one so you can do a 5 spd swap too.....just wait and watch.
The donor had a 5MT (an '03Golf). The work is complete and Richard is driving it around for shakedown cruise. So far so good. No performance upgrades other than the 11mm fuel pump that the original engine had. I will drive it as is for a while and then get some new nozzles and go for a tune. For now, I just want to drive it and get some miles onto it. I will pick it up next week.

All of these parts went into the new build:

new timing belt kit
new rear main seal
new garrett VNT15 turbo
with new waste gate actuator
new complete clutch kit
new serpentine belt
new alternator clutch pulley
new coolant/thermostat
new oil/filter
new cabin filter

I have new set of Continental Pure Contact 205 60R-16 to mount after I get it back (purchased using the VW goodwill cards). Can't wait.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Driving a TDI again! YAY

I picked it up this afternoon, and drove it home. NICE to be back behind the wheel of a TDI. No, it is not nearly as spry or luxurious as my '14 JSW was, but the ALH has a nice feel. Richard's 5MT conversion is excellent, and the used engine feels strong and runs real smooth. This TDI generates good torque and accelerates strongly when needed. The new clutch helps.

But now I have things to fix...typical stuff for this 14 year old:

Weak heater --builds over time, even when the engine is fully warm. Not hot air, just warm.

Glove compartment needs to be fixed to stay closed.

Driver's seat heater is NOT heating. Not sure about the passenger seat. Somehow I doubt it will be a fuse.

Driver's door closer fails to send signal to shut down the radio when you open the door.

And the car needs a serious cleaning!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Goodwill $500- Contis

I bought 16" Conti Pure Contact tires for my 2014 JSW when I got the Goodwill package nearly 2 years ago. Then my JSW was totaled.

The ALH wagon had 15" wheels, so I tried to sell the tires, but no luck. So I just bought wheels instead. Got $80 for the OEM 15" wheels/tires, so it wasn't that painful;)

I posted this in a different thread, but rightfully belongs in this thread. These wheels/tires are actually working really well, even though they are more than an inch taller than the OEM tires. These must be aftermarket springs.

[/url]RF1 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]CloseupWheelTireRotor by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]RL1 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
right door locking mechanism... fixed itself?!

Since getting this old '03 back on the road, the front passenger door lock was stubborn early on, would not always unlock when I activated "unlock" on any door, or fob.

But it got better. Now it consistently works!!! Needed to be used, like so many electronic devices. Cool.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
The driver door locking mechanism is beginning to fail now. Cold weather... I unlock it, and it opens partially, and is still locked, again. I use the fob to unlock it, and it opens, usually. Manual key in door is the failsafe.

I can't start the car and let it warm up with the door closed anymore. It locked on me, and I had to use me 2nd key to open it.

Damn.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Sucks to hear that the door locks aren't working like they're supposed to.:(

Good thing you have a second key to get back into your car. Otherwise it would suck waiting on the locksmith to unlock your car while it was running the whole time.:p

Adding a Frostheater is the way to go imo, since you get into a vehicle that has heat from the second you start it up.:)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
3L3M3NT, I just installed a Frostheater yesterday and set the timer for 4 hours. The engine started right up--a nice change from the last two weeks--but I did not have instant heat, how many hours are you running your Frostheater before you start your engine?

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
The driver door locking mechanism is beginning to fail now. Cold weather... I unlock it, and it opens partially, and is still locked, again. I use the fob to unlock it, and it opens, usually...
Several of mine will raise the lock rod as if they unlock while using the fob, but not quite complete the movement necessary to actually unlock. If I thump on the door with my fist, just above the handle, it usually jostles something inside the door and it will unlatch the door. It's like watching 70's-80's sitcom of Happy-Days, and the Fonz hitting the jukebox.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
DOUBLE PULL. Exactly. This is what I am getting on the driver door. It unlocks the tight latch position, then it is locked for the looser close position. Weird. When I am unlocking it, it is like a second locked position requiring a second unlock fob push!

I do not know if it does this double pull thing when it is unlocked. I think I noticed that happening once or twice, but cannot remember.

The Incomplete unlock it what I see sometimes on the passenger door. The post lifts visibly, but it doesn't always completely move the internal mechanism enough to unlock it. Worse in cold weather, just like the problem appearing on the driver side.