rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

03PlatinumTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel Free after 14 years
Rocketeer - Thanks so much for the write up on the PD Lift Pump install. I plan on installing one at the beginning of next year and this is such a great reference. Actually, this whole thread is a huge help. It has helped me install my 17/22, EuroJet SMIC, Tdiparts IC pipes, etc, etc.
Thanks so much for your time and effort to help your fellow TDI'er.:D :D

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
03PlatinumTDI said:
Rocketeer - Thanks so much for the write up on the PD Lift Pump install. I plan on installing one at the beginning of next year and this is such a great reference. Actually, this whole thread is a huge help. It has helped me install my 17/22, EuroJet SMIC, Tdiparts IC pipes, etc, etc.
Thanks so much for your time and effort to help your fellow TDI'er.:D :D
Excellent. That's one of the reasons I wrote this thread in such great detail. I'm glad someone is getting some use out of my labor.

You might want to consider doing this when you do the lift pump: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208968

I wish I had known about this further modification before I installed mine. Ordered the parts yesterday to perform the LCR mod.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Go for RC5... you will not regret it. Will put a huge smile on your face.

Yes, I did not realise I was standing right in the flume of black smoke

TDI Fest will be a ball on the West Coast.... It will be my first on this side of the country.

You project looks great! Keep posting...

I will finally be starting my power mods on the Golf soon.... been waiting for a head for so loooooooooong..... I am thinking about doing a similar thread as yours for my Golf build.

Good Luck partner

P

rocketeer928 said:
Shortly after I install the PD150 intake manifold, race pipe, and bigger nozzles, I'm tempted to take a drive to Jeff's to get RC5 and then Dent Sport Garage to see what my numbers are before deciding on getting an 11-mm IP.

The video of your dyno runs is great! Love that plume of soot, though I imagine that it wasn't very healthy to breath all those fumes in while filming.

Bet you're excited that TDI Fest 2010 is in Portland. I won't be there; too far away for me.

C'mon, you gotta know you're the first person I'll contact about my PP520s if I indeed do the upgrade.

Via education and my job, I'm an analytical chemist, with the emphasis on "analytical". So, I'm big into data, numbers, math, etc. That's why I installed that Scan Gauge II in my Jetta to keep an eye on the car's data, especially the IATs. My wife just rolls her eyes at my data obsession.:rolleyes:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I want a second TDI

I found a green 1996 Passat TDI sedan for sale near me with 244k miles on it, lots of new stuff installed, and well maintained according to the ad. The guy did a TB change and can't get the timing quite right. Probably doesn't have a VCDS.

Been trying to convince my wife to let me take a look at this car and maybe buy it, but no such luck. She claims we don't need another car. Need? Who said anything about need? IT'S A TDI, which is good enough reason for me.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Helmut3 said:
Du bist ja nicht ganz dicht!
Sie haben geschrieben, „Du bist ja nicht ganz dicht!" auf meinem TDIClub Faden. Wenn alles, das Sie machen können, Beleidigung mich ist, dann behalten Ihre dämlichen Meinungen zu sich. Helmut3, Sie sind nicht willkommen, auf meinem Faden zu schreiben.

You wrote, "Du bist ja nicht ganz dicht!" on my TDIClub thread. If all you can do is insult me, then keep your asinine opinions to yourself. Helmut3, you are not welcome to write on my thread.

Edit on 16 March 2010: Helmut3 actually contacted me today with a private message to apologize. Very respectable for him to do that.

Last edited:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Ok, going back to your SGII install here... I (well, my Jetta got :-) a SGII for Christmas.

Do you think it's possible to route the cable above the radio without removing the radio? I don't have the special keys for removal. I will ask a couple of the local TDI guys around here and see if they have the keys. I did take that little trim cover off and I know the space is limited but I want to mount it on that piece with a drilled hole thru the back.

I don't currently have an Ipod but which unit behind the radio is the Ipod adaptor? I may at some point get one so putting an adaptor back there while the head unit is out might be a good idea. If you already posted the adaptor install earlier in the thread I'll just go back and review.

Thanks for thinking of me regarding the nozzles. :D

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Congratulations on getting the SGII. I had to remove the radio to properly route the OBD wire, so I think you will want to locate the keys. Also, the iPod adaptor is a component of the iPod kit. I placed it behind the stereo cage held in place with a cable tie. In my pictures, you can't see it because it's black.

I'll likely order the PP764s this week, but they won't go into the car right away. Likely in the spring just before upgrading to RC5, assuming there is a Ho5G event or some other relatively local GTG where Jeff from RocketChip will be available for tuning. We'll see.

Last edited:

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
I don't have those such keys and did NOT pull the radio to mount my SGII there. Just pull the trim piece, drill your hole, fish the wire through and its done. I think I might have first fished a coat hangar trough the route and then taped and pulled the SGII cable back through.

Also my own ipod adapter connected in the trunk at the stock cd changer location. Kind of a pain to run the wires all the way up front to plug in the ipod somewhere comfortable, but it also didn't require radio removal.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I wondered if it was the thing held with the cable tie. I will attempt to run the wire with a fish of some sort. If I fail then I'll have to track down the radio keys.

I too am hoping for a Ho5G gtg with Jeff of Rocketchip in the spring sometime. I will be signing up for a tune. It would be awfully sweet to have nozzles in for that occasion. It would be a fun drive home... :) We'll see how it all pans out I guess. Right now I'm still recovering from the Christmas season.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Alternator Pulley

A couple of months ago my Jetta started chirping upon starting. Did a research and determined that the problem was likely a failing alternator pulley. So, tonight I changed the alternator pulley using the Metalnerd bit set.

Used the follow how-to, which was fairly easy, though I had to use a pipe on the 17mm wrench to get the pulley off
: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=234251

Update on 15 Jan 2010: I'm certain that the chirping was caused by the alternator pulley I replaced. No more chirping noises.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Have you put those PP764s in yet?
No. Maybe in the spring just before upgrading to RC5.

I'm also waiting for that "how-to" I suggested for your TDI Blog on how to use VCDS to check whether or not one's injectors are balanced. Do you still plan on posting that?

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Left Coast Resident Modification: Lift Pump Fail Safe Fuel Circuit

Posts 157 – 160 described the installation of the PD In-Tank Lift Fuel Pump onto my Jetta TDI. After the installation, I found out about the Left Coast Resident Modification: Lift Pump Fail Safe Fuel Circuit. I wish I had know about it prior to the installation. So, after the fact, I decided to pull the lift pump and do the LCR modification. For the most part, I purchased the same materials and followed the directions written my LCR: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208968

Here are a few pictures that I took:

Two halves of the pump apart, and one of the Oetiker clamps removed.

Both Oetiker clamps and large fuel line removed.

The T-fitting, check valve, and viton tubing notched at the bottom, so it can always pick up fuel at the bottom of the lift pump well.

Fully assembled modification.

I’m hoping that everything works out OK for the long term. The large, black retaining ring that screws onto the top of the lift pump is a pain to take off. The black fuel line simply doesn’t like to move out of the way, making removal and installation of the lift pump difficult.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Almost Hit a Deer

This morning on the way to work I found out that my anti-lock brake system works well. Around 6 am a medium-sized deer ran out in front of my car and I had to slam hard on the brakes. I missed full impact, and I think I might have just lightly touched the deer's rear leg. I definitely saw the deer up close and personal. My briefcase went flying!

I got out to inspect, and there was no damage and no hair.

Stupid deer. His buddy probably dared him to run across the road in front of me.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure I posted my pics of my Oct '08 deer collision. All said and done it was $5k damage. Glad you missed the deer. I swear they just wait in the bushes and wait to ambush.

I really hated being without my car for 3 weeks while other people touched her. She was so.... violated. :eek:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Agree with you there - too cold right now to do much. Be thinking about a price for your PP520's so that I may save up.
How difficult is the swap out?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
R32 Air Intake

I decided to replace the OEM lower air intake snorkel and components with the R32 air intake in the hopes of more airflow and possibly a slight increase the power in my Jetta TDI. I “borrowed” three pictures from this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=170770

Parts from World Impex: Air duct 1J0-805-962-G-B41 and Intake Snorkel 1J0-129-609-G
Parts from 1stVWParts: Airbox and air filter 1J0-129-607-AK and Headlight Cover 1J0-805-965-E-B41

I didn’t use the top of the R32 airbox because at this time because I don’t have plans for the larger MAF housing, larger OMI turbo intake, or having my ECU re-programmed to accommodate the slower airflow.

Here are pictures of the R32 air intake components and the larger snorkel.

Here’s a picture of the OEM snorkel next to the battery housing.

The first step was to remove the OEM airbox, snorkel, headlight cover, and air duct. The air duct is held in place by two upper and one lower plastic rivets. To remove the lower rivet, I had to first remove the bumper. A lot of extra work for one rivet. To remove the rivet, I pushed out the approximately 1/8-inch middle plug of each rivet, which allowed the main part of each rivet to be removed. I’ve read about others just ripping the air duct out, but I wanted to re-use those rivets. Though not a great picture, one of the top rivets is seen in the middle of the picture where the yellowish light is shining.

In this picture, I’ve installed the R32 front air duct with the same plastic rivets and the R32 snorkel.

When it came time to reinstall the battery tray, I found what others have written to be true. The battery tray had to be shifted over a little towards the engine. Using the following pattern and new 6-mm bolts from the hardware store, I drilled new holes and re-positioned the battery tray.

Contrary to what this “borrowed” picture says, I could not re-use the OEM bolts with their washers on the passenger side of the battery tray. The OEM washers were too large.

Reinstalled the bumper and battery. Then I installed the lower R32 airbox.

As stated above, I used the OEM air filter and upper airbox. The R32 airbox did come with an air filter with the foam layer 1J0-129-620-A. However, my current air filter was not dirty enough yet to chuck it, so for now I’ll use my current air filter and save the new one until I either run into a problem or change it out in the spring. The R32 snorkel does not come with a snow screen like that found on the OEM snorkel.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure, so I guess not. I won't know the effect until New England Dyno Day next autumn, and I get new HP and torque numbers.

Last edited:

SchonerGTI

TDI
VW Golf IV RTD
rocketeer928 said:
Not sure, so I guess not. I won't know the effect until New England Dyno Day next autumn, and I get new HP and torque numbers.
This means that driving the car with this mod will not produce any noticeable different feeling from the previous set up, maybe only a dyno can tell the truth!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
PD150 Intake Manifold and Allard Power Pipe

At the last New England Dyno Day, it was suggested to me to look into upgrading the OEM intake manifold with the PD150 intake manifold to further help increase the power of my Jetta TDI. I purchased the PD150 intake manifold 038-129-713-AF from RyanP's Euro TDI Parts, a large 57-mm Power Pipe from Allard Fuel Efficient Systems, and silicone intake hoses and connectors from www.siliconeintakes.com .

I purchased the PD150 intake manifold along with the EGR and hose because when I have to get my emissions tested in Connecticut, I need to reinstall the EGR temporarily. The parts arrived coated in a lot of soot, so I soaked them for about a day in Industrial Strength Simply Green (actually purple) diluted with some water. The next day I scrubbed with a small brass brush as much of the remaining soot, and then let dry over several days to make sure all water was removed.

I borrowed this PD150 intake manifold and EGR picture from RyanP’s thread.

I removed the Dieselgeek Race Pipe and the OEM intake manifold from the engine. Then I swapped the McNally turbo gauge fitting from the Race Pipe to the Allard Power Pipe. Finally, the new components were installed, including a 2 ¼-inch to 2‑inch 90° silicone bend and about 4 ½-inch straight hose with a connector to the upper intake pipe.

When I tried to reinstall the OMI onto the PD150 intake manifold, I predictably stripped the two threads for the bolts. Cheap aluminum!! I say predictably because this same thing happened with the OEM intake manifold when I first installed the OMI. So, I had to take the PD150 intake manifold off the engine and use 6M-1.00 helicoil inserts to regain the threads. Fortunately, I had an extra intake manifold gasket.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the Airbox and intake help, but are noticeable when driving the car really hard, better flow at high revs, and lower smoke. I get a nice intake sound out of it, too. Basically, this should allow you to run more fuel with lower relative EGTs and smoke than if you hadn't made the changes.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Very nice Chris! Your thread makes mods look so easy (because reading takes just a few minutes but the work takes hours... :)

I see you changed your sig too. Getting too long? :D More to come maybe? :rolleyes:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
I like the silicone hoses with the upper intercooler pipe. In order to upgrade that pipe would I need to upgrade the intercooler too? When I delete that ugly EGR I'd like to upgrade some of that intake plumbing.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
n8ronJ said:
I like the silicone hoses with the upper intercooler pipe. In order to upgrade that pipe would I need to upgrade the intercooler too? When I delete that ugly EGR I'd like to upgrade some of that intake plumbing.
It would not be absolutely necessary to upgrade the SMIC right away, or at all.

Yes, my signature was starting to get too long and I was concerned that I might be showing off. Showing off is not really my style.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
I think the Airbox and intake help, but are noticeable when driving the car really hard, better flow at high revs, and lower smoke. I get a nice intake sound out of it, too. Basically, this should allow you to run more fuel with lower relative EGTs and smoke than if you hadn't made the changes.
So... You're telling me indirectly, install those PP764s already!!:p

I'm glad to read that there will be the added benefit.

Last edited: