Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

mr-blah

TDI
JSW '14 MT
Many thanks to the contributors to this thread, with special thanks to Peyah and Unorganizedplan. Like others, I love the JSW except for the ground clearance so this thread has been informative and inspiring.

The really good info is now spread across literally hundreds of posts, so I'll try to summarize some key points here. PLEASE correct as needed!!

Peyah (post #253) installed the OEM springs (total ~ $450) plus Koni FSD (~$700?). This resulted in a lift of ~2" rear and 1.75" front. After the spring lift, one can install larger tires for an additional ~0.5" of additional lift.

Excellent post on MarkV Jetta with combinations of stock struts + different springs at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5498963-Tiggy-springs-2010-JSW-TDI-LOVE!/page3 post #57. Final setup:
Front: Stock JSW Struts + Tig 2WD Springs
Rear: Stock JSW Struts + Tig 4WD lift Springs

Others have said:
- the stock struts/shocks are very robust and typically last at least 150k
- a good and less expensive alternative to Peyah's springs is Tiguan 2WD front springs with SUPLEX rear towing springs ($269 for the spring set from IDParts)
- post #89 - Tiguan 2013 spring kit for $218 with ~3" lift

Potential issues include:
- enhanced wear of CV joints and boots (see #277, but this might be a one-off). #279 reports 25k w/o problems.
- difficulty meeting specs for alignment
- handling issues (steering, braking)

I didn't note any posts documenting these issues actually occurring other than Peyah's recent posts about alignment.

For torque specs and pictures: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=273002

Questions:
- For a car with less than 100k driven relatively "softly", will the strut mounts likely need to be replaced? I.e., are the mounts prone to failure? I haven't noted posts on this elsewhere so they seem pretty robust.

- Is there any functional difference between SUPLEX and OEM springs? I.e., is there a reason to spend more for OEM?

- Are the single-tightening (TTY) bolts supposed to be replaced with an alignment? I.e., might these be left slightly loose when installing the suspension parts and then tightened up at the shop doing the subsequent alignment?

I'll probably do a lift this spring. Most of my miles are me and my wife, usually with a couple hundred pounds of lightweight toys (bicycles, camping gear, kayaks, etc.), and maybe 20% of miles with a full load (4 folks, rocket box and/or racks full of stuff, we're often on dirt roads). We've repeatedly been stopped by lack of ground clearance.

Summary of preferred lift options:

Springs for all options:
Front: Tiguan 2WD springs (SUPLEX or OEM)
Rear: Towing springs for ~ 2" lift (SUPLEX or OEM). Tiguan 4WD rear for ~1.5" lift and slightly stiffer(?) ride.
Bolt kit

Cost not in issue; most robust:
Koni FSD (adjustable and potentially best for light and heavy loads)
Heavy duty mounts
(maybe Bilstein HDs? Perhaps a bit stiffer)
24 mm rear sway bar

Value:
Koni STR.T struts/shocks
Regular duty mounts

Economy:
Stock struts/shocks
Replace mounts if more than 100k miles

Does this seem about right? Recommendations? Comments? Seems like a good time to summarize the last couple years of experiences.

This needs to be stickied somewhere. The amount of back and forth and incorrect springs, struts, etc on this page makes it very hard to see clearly and this post is just SO clear.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Has the stance of a subaru now.

I have been collecting parts to do a lift myself. Snow and ice roads, I tend to bottom out a lot and plow snow with the bumper valance.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
I'm going to try and jump in here again . . .

I now have the triple pink 1K0411105DN springs up front; along with the towing 1K0511115CT springs in the rear. ALL other components are stock.

I did a poor job of getting all this done at the same time. If you look back in this thread, you can see I installed the rear tow springs in April 2015 (@ 90,500Km). Well, I FINALLY got around to doing the front springs 2 years later (@ 136,000Km). Needless to say, I now have a slight reverse rake situation. I think the rear springs have sagged a bit, in the two years and 45,500Km (28,300 miles) they have seen on the road.

I got the rear towing springs in right away, for the hauling capacity, before I even decided on front springs. Well, after I finally ordered them, then rounded up the appropriate tools, and prepared for the task, then other distractions happened. We had a daughter, then life got busy. Here I am two years later, finally able to complete the job.

I have a tough time measuring properly though. My garage floor is sloped 1" every 5 feet, and we live on a hill. I'll have to find a time and location to break away with a tape in-hand to measure properly. However, in eyeballing the car on level ground (looking at wheel well gaps), at BEST, they are even. So, any load in the rear, and I'll start to squat into a reverse rake.

I want to correct this. I know there are MK4 autotech apcers that have been suggested. Is anyone using them? If so, any issues with fitment on the MK6? Do you all think the rear springs have actually sagged in the timeframe above? If so, I could always re-order the rear tow springs and get them in right away, to match the life of the new front springs, and get the TT upper isolators while I'm at it. Otherwise, if you all think I'll just have the same situation with new rear tow springs, I can try to get my hands on the autotech spacers. However, they are hard to get here in Canada, without paying an arm and a leg for shipping . . .

(sorry this post was all over the place)

Omsok

TDI
2010 JSW Auto
Tiguan crossmatch for JSW

Figuring out the Tiguan spring on JSW formula is not an easy one.
In the ned I found a VW parts site that allowed me to cross reference parts that they sell for both JSW and Tiguan. I ordered two rear springs for my 2010 JSW.
1K0511115DG
The pan is not really to adjust the height, but to have a stronger spring in the rear since both rear springs broke, and this seems to be a common issue with these cars.
Given that I am a year and a half in to #dieselgate and VW is not too excited about actually buying my car, I had to start making repairs. sigh.
No pictures yet, but my logic was basically if it fits on a Tiguan and it fits on a JSW, colored dots be dammed.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/
The only weird thing is I had to go up to a 2012 Tiguan year to get a spring to show as in stock. I opted for the FWD only.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/a/Vol...OCKS--COMPONENTS-REAR-SUSPENSION/9245610.html
Anyway there were a few that correlated and this one 1K0511115DG was the cheapest, so we will see how it works out.

When I tried calling a local VW dealer and ordering the part they balked. Said it was an ok part number and they could have it in 2 days, but would prefer I buy the $150 apiece JSW only number.

Last edited:

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Figuring out the Tiguan spring on JSW formula is not an easy one.
In the ned I found a VW parts site that allowed me to cross reference parts that they sell for both JSW and Tiguan. I ordered two rear springs for my 2010 JSW.
1K0511115DG
The pan is not really to adjust the height, but to have a stronger spring in the rear since both rear springs broke, and this seems to be a common issue with these cars.
Given that I am a year and a half in to #dieselgate and VW is not too excited about actually buying my car, I had to start making repairs. sigh.
No pictures yet, but my logic was basically if it fits on a Tiguan and it fits on a JSW, colored dots be dammed.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/
The only weird thing is I had to go up to a 2012 Tiguan year to get a spring to show as in stock. I opted for the FWD only.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/a/Vol...OCKS--COMPONENTS-REAR-SUSPENSION/9245610.html
Anyway there were a few that correlated and this one 1K0511115DG was the cheapest, so we will see how it works out.
When I tried calling a local VW dealer and ordering the part they balked. Said it was an ok part number and they could have it in 2 days, but would prefer I buy the $150 apiece JSW only number.

Just so we are crystal clear here... your rear springs have broken, and you' d like to get stronger (firmer) replacements? I would get a set of towing springs if I were in your shoes.

http://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-towing-springs-1k0511115ct-p-5084.html (170+ shipping)

That would be a ton less than your 150 a pop from the dealer.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Summary of preferred lift options:

Springs for all options:
Front: Tiguan 2WD springs (SUPLEX or OEM)
Rear: Towing springs for ~ 2" lift (SUPLEX or OEM). Tiguan 4WD rear for ~1.5" lift and slightly stiffer(?) ride.
Bolt kit

Cost not in issue; most robust:
Koni FSD (adjustable and potentially best for light and heavy loads)
'09 TDI SportWagen

One possible add is Tire Sizes with the lift:

With my lift I can now run 215 60 16's with zero rubbing. Fills the newly created gap between the wheel and fender nicely.
NOTE: I did have to remove the front factory black plastic "mud flap" trim pieces to avoid slight rubbing on those.

To confirm my experience:

I have the IDParts springs listed above (originally installed with my stock OEM struts which were worn out at 200,000 miles but the budget didn't allow for me to get the Koni FSD's at that time).

It made the struts and shocks even more obvious they needed to be replaced (like sailing on rolling seas).

Finally put the Koni FSD Shocks and Struts (and replaced all of the TTY bolts and installed new strut bearings/mounts and shock mounts).

The ride is amazing, stiff, flat, comfortable, smooth.

Last edited:

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
In the midst of my JSW lift and shopping for tires.

Anyone running a 26.7"ish tire or is that too big?

Stock is 25" and I see some 26.2"

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
My 215 60 16 calculates to 26.2 diameter. I really want one size bigger, too, but I’m not sure I would fit on my car. I had to remove the mud flap in front to avoid scraping on turning. Twice in 80,000 miles at just the right speed on just the right turning angle with just the right bump I heard the tire scrape something in the wheel well (once before the Koni FSD upgrade and once after) so I’ve never tried the bigger size.

Since you have a different MY (‘10 vs mine being ‘09) maybe it would squeeze in OK?

You could always go to a used tire store and have them mount a couple and see what happens. Even if they charge you $15 to mount the crappiest, baldest tire they planned to throw away or you found on Craig’s list you could see how it goes. That’s how I decided on my size (rubbed the mud flap where it overlaps the body panel at the bottom of the wheel well) so removed the mud flap to gain an extra 3/8 inch or so.

Do post back with your results!

Zakattack

TDI
2013 golf wagon
Just lifted my golf station wagon 2" on the back 1.5" on the front got a kit from idparts.com. i changed springs and struts all around no more high centering in 20 plus cm of snow. I am currently Looking for a larger tire right now I'm have 205/55/16 i think it could go to 205/65/16 with clearance as at full lock i have around 30mm to play with front and rear i think it might play it safe and put on a 205/60/16 hakkapalita 9 for the winter.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Hey Guys, recently lost my 2009 to deer run in and picked up a 2015 sportwagon. Since I had my 2009 for 10 years, I have not been on the forums since it was new. Found this thread and would like to raise the sportwagon. Anyone know if the tiguan fronts and sportwagon towing springs work on the 2015s?

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
Hey Guys, recently lost my 2009 to deer run in and picked up a 2015 sportwagon. Since I had my 2009 for 10 years, I have not been on the forums since it was new. Found this thread and would like to raise the sportwagon. Anyone know if the tiguan fronts and sportwagon towing springs work on the 2015s?
If they do I have a set of the rear towing springs for sale, and also a used set of Koni Yellows.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
Put the snow tires on the car. They're slightly bigger than stock, but with Tig/ towing springs there hasn't been any rubbing yet.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
I have read quite a bit of this thread, thanks for all those who have contributed. I tried to find someone post who installed the springs but kept their OEM struts. I did see where someone with high miles did and ended up replacing the old struts. I have a 2015 sportwagon with only 5k miles. Is there any consensus on if low mileage OEM struts should be replaced? I am satisfied with the current ride but just want to raise the vehicle a bit to avoid ice boogers up here in the north.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I have read quite a bit of this thread, thanks for all those who have contributed. I tried to find someone post who installed the springs but kept their OEM struts. I did see where someone with high miles did and ended up replacing the old struts. I have a 2015 sportwagon with only 5k miles. Is there any consensus on if low mileage OEM struts should be replaced? I am satisfied with the current ride but just want to raise the vehicle a bit to avoid ice boogers up here in the north.
Topping out has been common with OEM struts/shocks across the mkV & mkVI JSW & golfs, but haven't seen many 2015 GSW with the lifting springs so you might be ok.
GSW allroad suspension components might be an option also.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm running OEM struts. Had to replace the fronts when I did the springs, but that's because one of them was shot.

I've got no issues with them so far!

Madov

TDI
Passat B6
I’m in the middle of upgrading my Passat B6 with Tig 2WD coil springs (Fwd & Aft) Installed the aft one already PN: 3C0511115AD and my new curb weight distance (from center of wheel hub to lower edge of wheel housing) went to 40 cm (Stock = 38.3 cm)…
When reading thru this post I realized that no one did mention that the bushing links need to be adjusted…VW manual state that all bushing links must be tightened in curb weight…so if we do change the suspension height, the bushing will have a slight torsion added that may force a premature failure… Anyone had to mess with the rear bushings?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Warning this is the Golf Mk vi forum and I don’t know what differences there are to a Passat. Just going from memory here but I think in the rear the only mounts that get tightened with weight on them are the upper and lower shock mounts. Be damn careful with the upper mount bolts, I somehow got one crossthreaded or dirt in it or?? I ended up having to buy a tap.

I did have a bar end link go just after replacing the springs but can’t figure out how an end link can have extra torsion from a small change in ride height.

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Old thread, I know. But skimmed most of it.

Is there any reason why MK6 Golf springs wouldn't work on the JSW? I just want in inch, don;t need 2 inches. I see H&R has some lift springs for the Golf TDI 28898-1, front 0.80 rear 1.2 inch.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
Back end of JSW is heavier than golf. You may end up with it level when empty, but nose up the second you load it with anything.
I once saw some poly spacers that you can put under the rear springs.
IMO, you’ll like the lift that you get from Tiguan fronts and JSW Towing rears. After a few thousand miles it settles in nicely and doesn’t look that lofty after all.

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
On reading about the strut top-out issue, would be be easiest to just get a set of front Tiquan struts to go with the front springs?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven’t experienced any issues topping out on the front. IIRC the dampers are interchangeable as are the mounts.
I think people only had top-out issues in the front when using the Tiguan HD springs which are meant for the heavier weight of the 4motion

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I haven’t experienced any issues topping out on the front. IIRC the dampers are interchangeable as are the mounts.
I think people only had top-out issues in the front when using the Tiguan HD springs which are meant for the heavier weight of the 4motion

That's good to know. I didn't glean that out from the info. Thanks!

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
What size tires are some of y’all running?
I know this thread is mostly about the lift, just wondering what size/model tires folks are using, why, pros & cons, have you switched back to stock size? Why or why not? Etc.

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm just planning on stock. Both the snow tires and summer wheels. Just need some belly and bumper height.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
What size tires are some of y’all running?
I know this thread is mostly about the lift, just wondering what size/model tires folks are using, why, pros & cons, have you switched back to stock size? Why or why not? Etc.
Yeah I'd like to see some plus size tires people are running too. In increasing the sidewall height, my aim would be:
a) fill up the wheel wells a bit more
b) improve the ride quality
c) add a bit of ground clearance

My main concern is the speedometer/odometer error factor. Right now my speedo is fast by 5 km/h (reads 100 and I'm going 95) so I'm unsure if I should do the VCDS adaptation or just gain that back with tire size?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
How are you doing at other speeds? Are you off by a certain percentage across the board?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
How are you doing at other speeds? Are you off by a certain percentage across the board?
Steadily off by 5 km/h at all speeds, verified by a number of methods (GPS, street speed warning boards, other drivers).