TDI Ranger Build

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
The nice thing about using the in-tank pump is not having to worry about purging air out of the fuel lines when you open the system for any reason (such as fuel filter change). I also find that my project starts a lot quicker with the fuel pump on.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Ahh ok. And I can say with pretty near absolute confidence the the M5OD will get you too and hold 4L numbers. Provided the trans is in good shape. And if I'm not mistaken the 4L rangers with the standard trans had an M5OD as well

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Ahh ok. And I can say with pretty near absolute confidence the the M5OD will get you too and hold 4L numbers. Provided the trans is in good shape. And if I'm not mistaken the 4L rangers with the standard trans had an M5OD as well
You're right on that one but at the 4L power level I'll have WAY more torque (stock 4L torque is 225 ft lb at the flywheel. Stock 4L HO is 238 ft lb at the flywheel)

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Exactly. I'm using the stock Ranger pump as my lift pump and will add an aftermarket, adjustable fuel pressure regulator to dial the pressure down to TDI-friendly territories. :)
The existing Ford pump is capable of producing in excess of 60 PSI, but that is because of the way the fuel system is set up for gas injectors. The pump will only produce pressure when there is restriction. If the fuel is free flowing to the IP and then the return line, the pressure will only be what the volume of flow generates through the restriction of the IP.

A regulator will pass flow to the engine until the pump volume exceeds engine use, then it will bypass excess flow to the tank. In a diesel do you not want the excess flow to pass through the IP for cooling and lubrication? I think I would try removing the internal regulator and running it with a gauge in the supply line to see what the pressure is before adding another regulator.

Paul

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The existing Ford pump is capable of producing in excess of 60 PSI, but that is because of the way the fuel system is set up for gas injectors. The pump will only produce pressure when there is restriction. If the fuel is free flowing to the IP and then the return line, the pressure will only be what the volume of flow generates through the restriction of the IP.

A regulator will pass flow to the engine until the pump volume exceeds engine use, then it will bypass excess flow to the tank. In a diesel do you not want the excess flow to pass through the IP for cooling and lubrication? I think I would try removing the internal regulator and running it with a gauge in the supply line to see what the pressure is before adding another regulator.

Paul
I did that on an engine swap (albiet not a VW engine), and the supply pressure of 60psi that I had would go into the injection pump, and any excess went into the return line. But the return line of the injection pump was shared with the injector return line, so the now higher pressure of the return line was making those little slip-on return lines at the injectors pop off. Not good, and diesel all over the engine bay haha!

I run an edelbrock regulator made for carbs, and it regulates it down to my desired psi under 10, and have no more return line pressure problems, and no more return lines popping off...

food for thought

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

Paul
I'm leery of putting unregulated fuel pressure to the inlet of the IP. For one thing what happens if I pause between turning the ignition on and cranking the engine (ie waiting for GP's)? I'm not too concerned about additional cooling/lubrication since the IP is designed to survive without any additional flow provided by a secondary pump. I would be worried about the functionality of my N108 since it works off the differential pressure between the case pressure and the inlet pressure to the pump. Too much inlet pressure (60+ psi) could force the injection timing piston to be full retard and not allow any advance.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Great project. Here's a couple thoughts I had after reading the past several posts:

1. A TDIwagonguy replacement PD pump motor swapped onto the ranger sending unit might be an easy way to get the fuel pressure correct.
2. I have an adjustable fuel lab pressure regulator on the return line of my truck. It is inline and does not bypass to anywhere.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Here is a post I posted in jimbote's toyota thread that explains what fuel pressure regulator I'll be using:

OK. I got it all sorted out. :)

I purchased the Nitrous Express 15956 regulator which is a modified Holley 12-803 (single inlet, dual outlet, 4.5-9psi operating range) with an added bypass port in the inlet AND a fuel pressure gauge. This small fitting accepts a jet that bleeds off pressure/flow so the pump isn't dead headed into the regulator. Once assembled the fitting and jet are an AN-3 fitting. I wish they had said this somewhere in their wesite! They simply state it is a D-3 outlet which doesn't mean anything to me...maybe this is normal lingo in the nitrous/aftermarket crowds.

For future reference this kit comes with:
  • Regulator
  • Mounting bracket
  • Bypass fitting
  • Bypass jet
  • 1/8NPT - 3/8NPT reducer
  • Fuel pressure gauge
I had to purchase:
  • AN-3 to 1/8NPT 90deg adapter. I would have prefered to go up to a 1/4NPT or higher but 1/8NPT was all I could find for adapters from AN-3. For my install location I also chose to go with the 90deg turn. I put together a few different combinations of adapters and this ended up being the cheapest at $16.
  • 1/8NPT - 5/16" barb (not pictured)
  • M6x1.00, 12mm long bolts and washer (x2) and tapped the holes to receive them
  • 3/8NPT - 3/8" barb adapter (x2). Again, I would have prefered 5/16" barb but was limited by the selection at my FLAPS. I can get a 5/16" line over these barbs so I'm going with it.
Ok, you may now return to Toyota-TDI-awesomeness. :eek:

esm

TDI
2013 Sportwagen
1st vehicle I ever drove was my dad's 87 4-banger ranger. It ran so bad everybody thought it already WAS a diesel.

I have fond memories of the ol' ranger, and recently have been jonesing for a little diesel pickup.

I'm elated to see that you're figuring out the hard problems for us and blazing the trail for TDI Rangers eveywhere!!!!

Really enjoying this thread and looking forward to future posts!

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
I'm leery of putting unregulated fuel pressure to the inlet of the IP. For one thing what happens if I pause between turning the ignition on and cranking the engine (ie waiting for GP's)? I'm not too concerned about additional cooling/lubrication since the IP is designed to survive without any additional flow provided by a secondary pump. I would be worried about the functionality of my N108 since it works off the differential pressure between the case pressure and the inlet pressure to the pump. Too much inlet pressure (60+ psi) could force the injection timing piston to be full retard and not allow any advance.
You could just not have a fuel pump and simplify the issue al la me? lol

But I'm glad there is someone else doing this aswell. I might have to change my nick as I wont be the only TDI ranger anymore it seems!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I should have included this earlier to the fuel tank mod:

Before:

After:

You MUST do this while the tank it out. The Ranger has a mesh screen (anti-siphon measure?) that will catch all the debris from this removal that you need to clean out. I basically back-flushed the fill tube with compressed air at the tank end and my shopvac at the fill end. This worked very well getting every last bit of plastic out of there.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Intercooler Mounting, Cont'd

I finally got around to cutting the intercooler inlet/outlets but it doesn't seem I have a good picture of the modification. I posted this picture earlier that basically shows how much I trimmed off the intercooler and the elbow:

I haven't welded them yet as I may angle the lower inlet up to eliminate a bend in the hose or tubing.

As mentioned previously I modified the Ranger condenser mounting brackets which meant removing material to clear the intercooler. I probably would not have needed to add any more material but I wanted to shift the FMIC a little toward the driver's side. I fab'd up some small brackets to which I welded some weldnuts.

And here is the completed cooling system from the engine side. Radiator connections on one side, intercooler connections on the other. :)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Adapter Development

It's been a long time coming but I finally have something to show for the last year of research, design, prototyping, etc. :)

The basic process started with several gutted and cleaned transmissions which were brought in and measured with a CMM. Repeat the process with VW flywheels, Ford flywheels, starters...you name it and get to modeling:

At this point I had a prototype or two lasered out of 14gauge sheetmetal to see how things were shaping up. I'm glad I took this intermediate step as I would have wasted two plates with simple but important revisions. :eek:

I decided I was far enough along that I wanted to cut up a plate on my third rev. I held my breath when I slipped it on the first time and she fit like a glove.:D

Slip on the transmission for good measure:

And away we go. The hard part is done. ;)

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Nice! Making a custom adapter plate/doing all your own measuring is definitely the hardest part. It's an awesome feeling when it all lines up perfectly though. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
is it just me or is there an interferance between the starter snout and the bellhousing on these two photos?

Starter snout sticking past plate

No Starter on plate with trans installed..?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You are correct the bellhousing needs to be clearanced for the starter. There is no way to get the starter to work in the original location- trust me I tried. :eek:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Nice job Nick, hey who needs starter on manual car? remember back days people would push start vehicles, usually park on slight hill or have second person to give a push. lol Another option is start engine via cranking handle like back in old days, just crank engine by hand couple revolutions and fire that baby up. :)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think I'll go the normal route. :p

Here's the stock 2.5L flywheel....almost perfect on the weight

and bolted in place

Before I post my next picture I wanted to quiz you guys: what is missing from the other adapters to date that is critical to performing routine maintenance on TDI's?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Is there a slightly less accurate version of it on the other end of the motor? :)
hah, less accurate.. amature :D

I learned about that "less accurate" one from MOGolf.. dude hits it every freaking time using that less accurate one.., I swear he is a machine.

(I kid, I kid)

good deal Greengeeker, looking forward to this.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Isn't the TDC mark supposed to be on the transmission bellhousing? Therefore not missing from the adapter plate?
Is this a trick question?! :D

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'll check to see how much that stackup equals in piston projection.

In lieu of the backup TDC mark on the front cover I'll just use this:

Last edited: