Are you going to this year's TDIfest (2012)? From where?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Hi, I thought I would start a "going-to-the-Fest" thread.

First of all, are you going? If so, from where? What route are you taking? How long a trip? Are you going to add a scenic route in there?

For example, I am going to the fest. Fast track there from Boston (90, I think). Then, I'll take the west coast of Michigan up to Canada, hang a right over Lake Huron, work my way along the coast to the ferry that will dump me back into NY state, then head home. I did this back in '04 when we had the fest in Wisconsin and it was so nice (really, really nice) that I'm going to do it again!

What about you?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yes, from Oroville, CPR. Here is a thumbnail:

Last edited:

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
831 mi 14 hrs 18 min

Have to make a stop in Newark, OH to go pick up my truck from a friend(B) and have my brother drive it to my mother's-in-law house(C) to park it and let the wifey stay with her mom. Then me and my brother hop in the VW and head north to TDIFest(D). Here is the route. And then the return trip which is a little shorter, 665 mi 11 hrs 3 min.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Trip to the 2012 Fest

Well, if everything goes according to plan (hope), we will be heading to Ypsilanti, MI via Alaska from Southeast Kentucky in my ALH TDI powered '84 Vanagon!.......... something like 7,000 miles!:D

It looks like departure has to be no later than Saturday, August 11th. Otherwise, we will have to change plans........ Right now, everything is boiling down to the last minute! The TDI Vanagon project is in a Thread in the TDI Conversions.

It is also our plan to do a road trip Thread.

Last edited:

Jake4157

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
200 miles and 3 hours and 20 min. But I can shave the time down to about 3 hours lol. I'm coming from Muncie indiana

AVTechMan

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
I live about 2.5 hours from Ypsilanti living in the Holland area, but I would stick out like a sore thumb since I don't have a TDI right now. But it would be cool to learn more about these cars and how to really get the best out of them.

Maybe next time. :)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
AVTechMan,

You're joking, right? Come on! Come. You know you want to! Find out why you are on the right track. Find out why going diesel is way more compelling than you think! We're going to be meeting, writ large, in your
very own back yard! The Fest fee averages out to nothing, if you factor far enough out! (wink)

As an aside, I would more than welcome your input and advice on going up and around Lake Huron if you've done that before.

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Lisa (g/f) and I are coming to TDIfest 2012 from Nashua, NH.
Let's see....a little over 800 miles...only one fuel stop needed for my 2010 JSW TDI. :cool:

AVTechMan, seriously, you DO need to come to TDIfest 2012. :cool: Find out why owning and driving a diesel car instead of anything that runs on gasoline (including hybrids) is a more compelling argument than you think. These cars are among the most resistant to rising fuel prices. While there may be some gassers that might cost about the same per mile or be slightly cheaper per mile given the current fuel price situation, they are not cars I want to drive and NONE of them offer the kick of a turbo.

I for one am I driving enthusiast and LOVE to drive. I drive a lot, around 1k miles/week. I also have a long highway commute to and from work (53 miles each way). I need a car with good fuel economy but at the same time I don't want to drive an econobox (read: penalty box) to get the MPGs. I don't want to downsize the car or downsize the performance to get the economy. I need a "driver's car" but with gasoline that usually comes with an unacceptable MPG penalty. With a modern turbodiesel car, I can get the great fuel economy needed without having to downsize the car or downsize the performance. With diesel, I like being able to have my cake and eat it too. :cool: Very soon after getting my first diesel car (2002 VW Golf TDI) I quickly found out that owning anything that runs on gasoline no longer makes sense.

Good luck. Hope to see you at TDIfest 2012. :cool:

Last edited:

AVTechMan

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
Lisa (g/f) and I are coming to TDIfest 2012 from Nashua, NH.
Let's see....a little over 800 miles...only one fuel stop needed for my 2010 JSW TDI. :cool:

AVTechMan, seriously, you DO need to come to TDIfest 2012. :cool: Find out why owning and driving a diesel car instead of anything that runs on gasoline (including hybrids) is a more compelling argument than you think. These cars are among the most resistant to rising fuel prices. While there may be some gassers that might cost about the same per mile or be slightly cheaper per mile given the current fuel price situation, they are not cars I want to drive and NONE of them offer the kick of a turbo.

I for one am I driving enthusiast and LOVE to drive. I drive a lot, around 1k miles/week. I also have a long highway commute to and from work (53 miles each way). I need a car with good fuel economy but at the same time I don't want to drive an econobox (read: penalty box) to get the MPGs. I don't want to downsize the car or downsize the performance to get the economy. I need a "driver's car" but with gasoline that usually comes with an unacceptable MPG penalty. With a modern turbodiesel car, I can get the great fuel economy needed without having to downsize the car or downsize the performance. With diesel, I like being able to have my cake and eat it too. :cool: Very soon after getting my first diesel car (2002 VW Golf TDI) I quickly found out that owning anything that runs on gasoline no longer makes sense.

Good luck. Hope to see you at TDIfest 2012. :cool:
Perhaps you're right. Wouldn't do much good to stay home on LD weekend. I'll see what I can do. :)

From the dates of the event I won't be able to go Friday since I have to work (2nd shift) but Saturday may look like a good day to go. I can read forums and message boards all day but I think getting actual experience from owners would be much better!