View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2019, 06:24   #45
VChristian
Veteran Member

In the diesel Rabbit category, I had a 84, 79, 78, 77 and yes a 76. I know they didn't make them in 76, but they did. At least that is how it was titled and registered. The 77 was an improvement, and the fuel filtering was better on the 79. The biggest problem back then was the fuel, especially in winter. By 79 I had my own fuel tank, and lots of my fuel problems went away. The higher sulfur content fuel seemed to wax more, and the slightest amount of water would make a real mess out of a filter.

However, the cars all ran and ran, until they rusted out.

Fuel economy? It was before the days of ODB-II fuel monitors, but I remember a guy at work with a Honda CVCC challenging me to a fuel economy competition. But he wanted an adjustment for the higher BTU content of diesel. I accepted, and the workplace wagers got quite high. Using test data of others I had determined that 40 mph was about the best compromise between power plant and aerodynamics. So on the Saturday of the competition I kept it between 50 and 40, with the speed limit back then being no higher than 55. The fuel people figured I did over 80 mpg.

Nice car, and my first one cost just under $5300.
VChristian is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07645 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 14.96 Kb. compressed to 13.53 Kb. by saving 1.43 Kb. (9.56%)]