View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2006, 18:44   #56
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof
I still think that the IDEA of having a GTG in CENTRAL USA would be the best !

There is a huge problem with anyone referring to our Annual TDIFest as a GTG. Planning and running a GTG is NOTHING like planning and running TDIFest. At GTG's, people generally all pitch in and bring food, tools, beer and everyone has a good time - am I right? I speak as a Fest organizer AND as an organizer of some very large East Coast GTGs.

The big difference between the two is that the Fest is a fundraiser. We charge a registration fee, plus fees for other activities based on their cost to the club. People paying to attend the Fest expect something for their money. This is why it takes a year of hard work and planning by a dedicated Fest staff to plan and run a Fest. This is why no staff = NO FEST.

A previous Fest organizer has said that when a group submits a proposal (and it is accepted by Fred), that it is "just this side of a solemn oath" to Fred that your group WILL do everything it takes to pull off a fun, successful event. I couldn't agree more. Your group is promising Fred that they will put forth the time and energy necessary to bring the Fest from proposal to reality. These are not just words! The reality is: the smaller your group, the more your family and life in general gets put on hold until after Labor Day. It takes time. It takes commitment. It doesn't take 2 months of deciding a location to have a good Fest.

You have to come down to earth, people - it's crunch time.

Stop the 'Wouldn't it be cool to have the Fest here' posts. They are a waste of time. Start talking to your local TDIers instead. Get to know others in your area. See if you have a local group that can commit the amount of time and energy necessary to plan and run a successful event. Then, and only then can you begin to consider locale.

In truth, it doesn't matter where the Fest is held, so long as there is parking for 100-200 cars.

If you build the Fest, they will come...
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!

Last edited by Hamsterdiesel; November 1st, 2006 at 18:47.

Page generated in 0.09009 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.95 Kb. compressed to 16.17 Kb. by saving 1.78 Kb. (9.90%)]