Limp Mode :(

The_Stealth

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2003 & Jetta TDI 2006
Just had my TB done and now I have a limp mode problem. Prior to the TB change my timing was seriously retarded and just below spec. My car has .205 injectors and a Unitronic Stag 2 tune. I took the following logs to help diagnose the problem. From what i can see the MAF is working ok. What do I check next?

Error Code:
16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

P0234 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Log 1
LOG 2

The_Stealth

Veteran Member
TDI
After some Googling, I found the MKIV limp mode thread here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589
My vac lines are original on my car, so 10 years old. So they are in dire need of changing. I would like to get some silicone lines, but I am having a hard time finding a vendor that ships to Canada at a good price. Any suggestions?

The_Stealth

Veteran Member
TDI
I found this on EBAY. I was wondering of anybody has used this supplier's product? Is there anything else I will need when swapping out the vacuum hoses?

As a side not, I'll be testing by vacuum pump, N75 and actuator this weekend. Hopefully I can narrow it down.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
As a rule, I avoid ebay, but if you know what it is you're buying you can get some stuff.
McMaster-Carr carries a full line of sizes, color, etc., here in the states.
Look for a place like that.
Here is one in Canada, I'm sure there are others

The_Stealth

Veteran Member
TDI
Update!

Vacuum from vacuum pump = good
N75 works fine
Tried to apply a vaccum to the turbo actuator, no vaccuum possible at all! Noticed some rust particles in my Mity-Vac's lines. Took my phone and got this shot:

Looks like my actuator is rusted through. Is this thing easy enough to change out?

Last edited:

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
I had my vnt actuator replaced and the Vacuum lines, years of limp mode gone. Bengone1 did mine, look real easy for a guy who knows what he is doing.

thordehr

TDI
2003 Jetta
Update!

Vacuum from vacuum pump = good
N75 works fine
Tried to apply a vaccum to the turbo actuator, no vaccuum possible at all! Noticed some rust particles in my Mity-Vac's lines. Took my phone and got this shot:

Looks like my actuator is rusted through. Is this thing easy enough to change out?

In the voice of the MythBusters guy, "Well THERE'S your problem!"

May as well get this kit....

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1609&gclid=CNXiyt7Bq7kCFS_ZQgodgUcAMg

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Last edited:

The_Stealth

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I had my actuator replaced today. The sucker did not want to come off without a bunch of heat. Got it installed and adjusted (4" it starts moving, finishes at 18"). Put the skid plate back on and went for a drive. Now instead of uncontrolled boost, I had absolutely zero boost. Found that the check valve was finished. Got a replacement and now all is good so far.

I grabbed a few pictures of my old actuator, I'll post them when I get home this evening. It looks way worse than my first photo.

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Nothing duct tape can't fix. Tomorrow I replace one, will see how it compares.
Shouldn't look bad, since it leaks vacuum, not like yours, which never even saw vacuum, lol..