Biodiesel Strikes again..

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
Well, My wife took the wagon into the dealer because of a shimmy in the steering wheel. Obviously either a wheel bearing or a unbalanced tire.. Under CPO it was replaced for free.

Well, when told about the work done, the service manager says that the tech seems to think that it's the Biodiesel that's causing the engine to not run right, causing the wheel bearing to go out. (BTW we do have a BioD sticker on it.) Because this is the second wheel bearing to go out inside of 3 months. Previously it was also the ABS sensor ring that was the problem.

We do use BioD, but only what's available locally, no homebrew.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

\/\/

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
new2diesel said:
Well, My wife took the wagon into the dealer because of a shimmy in the steering wheel. Obviously either a wheel bearing or a unbalanced tire.. Under CPO it was replaced for free.

Well, when told about the work done, the service manager says that the tech seems to think that it's the Biodiesel that's causing the engine to not run right, causing the wheel bearing to go out. (BTW we do have a BioD sticker on it.) Because this is the second wheel bearing to go out inside of 3 months. Previously it was also the ABS sensor ring that was the problem.

We do use BioD, but only what's available locally, no homebrew.

\/\/
This is new, fuel causing bearing failure.
It caused the Black Plauge, Anthrax and Ebola too. :rolleyes:
What a bunch of bunk.
Sounds an awful lot like this dealer is trying his best to do his worst.
FWIW, been in the bearing business for over 17 years.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
new2diesel said:
Well, when told about the work done, the service manager says that the tech seems to think that it's the Biodiesel that's causing the engine to not run right, causing the wheel bearing to go out...
Sure thing. My opinion of the situation is they are stone cold lying to you in an effort to remove more money from your wallet.

Biodiesel causing wheel bearings to go out? AHAHAHHAHAHHAHOEHAEEHAH :D

If you put a Christian/Darwin/Bass Pro Shop sticker on your car, would they tell you the tech seems to think it's the fish that's causing the engine to not run right or bearing to go bad?

On another note, how did they know you had biodiesel in the car (assuming you did at the time)? If a stealership started sampling fuel before working on the wheel bearings, they're trying to find ways to weasel out of their obligations.

Run far away from this place.

I could see if you were using biodiesel to clean your wheel bearings that it could wash out the grease and eventually cause bearing problems, but I assume you haven't been using it to do that (or fill your crankcase, as a dessert topping or as a cavity preventive dentifrice).

scurvy

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
We both have the BioD sticker/window cling on our cars.
I don't know if he sampled it or not. He must not have read the news that VW warranties upto B5.

I can see that a really rough running engine might cause the cv or universal joints to go because of the backlash, but a Bearing?

My cars actually run a little smoother with the Bio. And it's commercially available less than 5 miles from the house so.??

I'll keep going there as long as they keep fixing it under warranty.. When that's gone.. "Uncle" Marty aka JETaah here I come..

\/\/

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
ab·surd (
b-sûrd
, -zûrd
)adj.

Ridiculously incongruous or unreasonable. See Synonyms at foolish.

Of, relating to, or manifesting the view that there is no order or value in human life or in the universe.

Of or relating to absurdism or the absurd.

This relates to #3 relating to absurdism and the absurd

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Next thing he'll try to tell you is that the fumes from the biodiesel are what causes static on your radio. I ain't buyin' it.
You might try asking him just what about your appearance made him believe you were that stupid.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
HEY! let the dealer replace wheel bearing and have it written on repair order that biodiesel was cauise of bearing failure ,and then file a lawsuit!!!! THIS WOULD NEVER BEEN A ISSUE IN MY SHOP! its just to stupid, yeh maybe if you had a fuel system problem with bio fuel but a wheel bearing ,I DONT THINK SO!!!!!!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
This post is retracted as further along
the OP reveals the conversation was between
his WIFE and the SERVICE manager, not the
OP and the SERVICE manager.

The service manager was pulling your leg. If you
had laughed he would have laughed with you.
Now I would imagine he thinks one of two things about you.
A. You have no sense of humor.
B. You are clueless.
Or maybe a combination.... Anyway, he offered you a
chance to bond and you missed the boat.

Of course, I could be wrong too!!
You were the only one there, What do you think? Was he serious,
or pulling your leg? Keep in mind, if he was serious it might be that
he did NOT want you to come back, ever. What is your personal history
with the dealership and the service writer? Could he just be trying
to run you off?

Please understand, I am not trying to piss you off! Just offering
another possibility. the dealership may not want to service ANY
cars with bio stickers. They let their competitors be the bad guys
later down the road when claims may be denied.

Bill

Last edited:

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
My local stealership actually has a pile of "Powered by Biodiesel" bumper stickers on the service counter. Its really a confederacy of dunces.

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Will: Which dealer?

Gezon is/was pretty cool when it comes to BD usage.

Remember the BD Road Rally during the 2002 Fred's Club Convention? Big ol' BD tanker from Wacker's on Gezon VW's lot topping-off EVERYBODY in the rally. Channel-17 covering all the festivities.

Hope it wasn't Gezon... :(

V

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
That has to be the most bizarre bio story I've ever heard. I would have just said, "Nah, it's just those @#$#tty VW engines. The Bio actually makes it run better..."

I hope the job search is going well.

Fred

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
For all of those wondering.. It was Betten..
And I didn't speak directly to the guy, this was told to my wife. I am repeating it here for laughs.

To be honest I had always held Betten with High regards.. They just dropped a couple of notches when I heard this.

Like I said before, as soon as the warranty is gone I'm going to wrench myself, and for things I can't do.. JETaah here I come.

\/\/

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I seriously thought you were kidding...As soon an Toyota builds a diesel, I'll be looking.

2002 Jetta TDI, Caspian Blue, Leather, Monsoon, 53K miles, blown turbo.
History reveals replaced Instrument cluster, mirror switch and 2x "won't start". Shame on me.

10kfeet?

TDI
06' Jetta
Bio-diesel voids warrenty?

I purchased a 06' Jetta TDI 5spd last week. I was happy to top off the tank with some b20 but when I went in to the VW dealership for a rattle in the door (loose screw) I was scolded for putting the bio in the tank.
The service guy said that bio-diesel in a pump duse would void my warrenty.
Bummer.... I love the mpg but really like the idea of having my fuel domestically grown.

:(