Remove front strut assembly

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Does the lower control arm have to be removed? I want to remove the entire assembly.

I loosened the lower knuckle bolt and spread the connector. I have managed to get 80% of the strut out but I can't see how I can get the rest.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
If you loosen the subframe bolts you will have enough room to get the strut out. Be careful not to take them all the way out.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
ok. Bentley says to remove drive axle on the passenger side. That was the step I was missing. I wonder if I should just lower the subframe?

Anyone?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Lower the sub frame. When I did mine the two large bolts actually fell out because I loosened them too much, but nothing happened. I had to coax the sub frame down as it had a tendency to want to stay up. Also I think that both wheels have to be off the ground at the same time.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Pretty sure you have to take them out and replace as they are TTY.

Got it done with just doing one side of the subframe. Now i am back to the tool store for a 22mm tool since the sparkplug tool won't fit the new nut on the Bilsteins. Always something...

TTY is also claimed in the Bentley for the knuckle bolt yet i see posts here where this is not being followed.

Anyone? I almost know the dealers don't keep these bolts in stock. I guess I could order them and replace them in a few days.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I always play it safe and replace tty. Also you can use a spring compressor to compress them enough to get them out. That is how I did it with my lift kit.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I almost know the dealers don't keep these bolts in stock.
Yes, that's why a couple times a month we get posts of peoples engines falling out because the dealerships refuse to replace the TTY bolts holding the engine.:rolleyes:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"ok. Bentley says to remove drive axle on the passenger side. That was the step I was missing. I wonder if I should just lower the subframe?Anyone?"

I did exactly as bentley said and the front struts came out fine. You do not have to lower the subframe if you do this.

Supposidly, the subframe bolts are one-time-use bolts and must be replaced if loosened.

I also replaced my steering stabilizer bar bushings, since the bar has to be unbolted from the control arms to get the struts out.

FYI, idparts.com has the bolts you need.

--Nate

Last edited:

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
current 2011 Jetta,(ret)01' Jetta TDI (ret) 92' Golf Diesel
I'm in a similar situation. Just replaced my LCA bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and now doing the strut mounts. I did loosen the Subframe bolts to get some other parts out. Where do I get these bolts?

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
I have seen some debate over TTy bolts in a number of posts. And, I generally try to go by the book, but in this case I did not. Why...because technically they should be replaced and then when you take your car to get it aligned, technically they should be replaced again because they have to be loosened for the alignment.

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
To remove the passenger side strut without removing the axle:

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. This will give you an extra 1/2" or so needed to get the strut assembly out of the knuckle.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Ok. I replaced my struts with Bilsteins HD. I am wondering if I needed to have swapped over the front Strut Stop Bushing from the old strut? I didn't because I assumed the strut was complete.

Anyone know if this was needed?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
If the new one had one then no. If it didn't then I would thing yes. Are you talking about the bushing that slides on the strut shaft and once bottomed out it prevents metal to metal contact. That is the reason why it is in there so when hitting a bad bump something is damaged.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
OK. I did some research and the Bilstein HDs already have built-in bump stops. There is no way the originals could fit on the shaft of these struts.