Heavy vs. Light flywheel?

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Looking for some insight on my goals here.

I want my car to be a very pleasant driving experience while maintaining the ability to put 350lb. Ft. To the wheels.

I'm in belief that I should pursue a SMF with with the heaviest flywheel possible. I don't want any clutch pedal pulsations or gear clatter or a heavy clutch pedal. I am more than Willing to sacrifice a few HP for a better driving experience.

Lend me your words of wisdom.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I have a heavy flywheel and like it. The lighter flywheel will rev quicker, actual HP will be the same. The lighter flywheel should also offer slightly quicker shifts.

My 21 lb flywheel is slightly rougher than the stock DMF. I can't imagine a lighter flywheel on a daily driver.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
My last tdi had the standard G60 flywheel, it was super smooth and none of this stupid dmf rumble through the pedal. I will be going back to it eventually once I've stopped spending money on lots of things I don't need lol.

I can't see a light flywheel making any odds to revving, to many other things in the way regarding the tdi.

Anyway I'd say go for the regular smf, a friend has fitted the VR6 set up with his and the rattle is so tiny it's almost not noticeable unless it's pointed out.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
There's more to it than gear rattle, I engage the clutch while at idle in city driving and a heavier flywheel will result in a much smoother engagement. I might investigate a heavier dmf than stock.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It's not gear rattle, that's a myth, it's just the springs on the friction plate that rattle. My last tdi was on a 2000 plate with the same type of Mk4 box and smf as standard, no rattle at all. That was the regular G60 one too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Use a disc with a floating center and you won't get rattle. 21/22 lb. fiywheel is plenty. I have that setup in my wagon and it's very easy to drive, and quiet. SBC Stage 2 Endurance. Running 290 ft/lbs at the wheels now, headed higher this month with new turbo, pump, injectors, head, etc. Same clutch.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
The main function of a flywheel is the keep the engine rotating until the next cylinder fires, and to tolerate load while idling. A lighter flywheel will work, but as others stated, the HP will be the same, just the ability to rev faster improves. Also, going to a lighter flywheel will generally lead to stalling if you are using the AC, and when taking off from a stop.

I did have the opportunity to drive a tdi with a 12lb flywheel once. What a PITA...had to turn off the AC when idling at a stop light, and rev the snot out of it to leave the light.

I have a similar clutch setup as IBW; SB Stage II Endurance. Other than the fact it doesn't slip with my tune/turbo combination, you wouldn't know that it's different from stock.

BTW...if you are looking for 350ft-lb range, I would also plan on a peloquin or similar limited slip. Otherwise you'll be roasting one tire all the time. My best stimate is that I'm around 120hp / 200ft-lb. Every once in a while, I'll slip one tire rounding a corner. If I get a set of nozzles, I'll likely need the limited slip diff.

Tony

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I would not go with a lightened flywheel for street use. They have their use on the track, but they're a serious pain on the street, and in addition there are potential engine and accessory life issues that can arise as a consequence of less dampening of the power stroke pulses.