Coolant Flush

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDi 2013, 6speed Highline. 2003 Jetta TDi station wagon, 5speed
Have to do complete cooling system flush.
has anybody know what is best way of doing it ,which hose to open and maby by using garden hose flush whole engine.I do not know if this will work with thermostat...any help aprecciated

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
curious as to why it's needed to be done? someone put non g12 in there? if so a full flush would be needed to make sure all remaining fluid it out and a proper mix of g12 added, some say as high as 70 30 mix or 50 50 as stated on the bottle. All that's really stated in the bently is a drain on the left hand lower side of the radiator and also removing the coolant line from the lower part of the oil cooler.

But if it's just reg g 12 already in it should be ok till you do a tb change and water pump.

Yuri is in your area along with a bunk like Nigel (wingnut) and may other forum members that would be of better assistance than me.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Pull the coolant plug on the radiator. Pull out and twist. Take the lower radiator hose off the oil cooler under the oil filter. That will drain most of it. I'd recemend not flushing with municiple water unless you can test it and it's under 10ppm sediment. If not, fill with distilled water, run the car, drain, repeat a few times. Let it get hot enough to cycle the fan at least once.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDi 2013, 6speed Highline. 2003 Jetta TDi station wagon, 5speed
Thnks

Thank You Guys for help. Yes I have to flush whole system ,i just bought this tdi and has green coolant.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
ah yes then follow Jason's advice would be a good idea to do it a couple times with just reg water to make sure all is flushed out

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Does anyone have a recommedation to remove oil from the coolant? I had a blown head gasket in my ecodiesel. I tried to flush the system with distilled water, but there is still oil residue in there. Thanks for any suggestions.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Solution of Simple green and water. I suggest using a 20% ratio, run the motor for a bit then flush with a garden hose for 10 minutes.

DB

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Thanks DB- I'll give that a try.
I did use simple green to try to clean out the reservoir. I used it at 100% strength and let it sit, then agitated, repeat. It didn't clean the walls of the reservoir, but I did get a lot of crud out. I finally put a little bit of Power Service in there and it took out the oily residue PRONTO! I rinsed it really well before putting it back in the car.

I'm hesitant to try this extreme measure on the rest of the engine. Any thoughts?