how to replace rear springs

giw

TDI
99 jetta
hello tdi group
i am a current gm muscle car gasser who now drives a 264k 99 jetta a4..
i am in love with the performance and fuel economy.. and the forum
i purchsed the car out of state and to get through pa inspection i need to replace the rear springs as 1 is broken, i also plan to replace the rear shocks and it needs rear brakes..
i reviewed the awesome write up on the rear brake job but could not find any "how too's "on rear coil spring replacement..
also any suggestions for parts over oem replacement..
this is a daily driver in combined city and highway use..
thanks for your help

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
All you need is a pair of lift jacks and a spring compressor-that easy really. I am going with heavier springs in my car from a jetta wagon. idparts.com among others sells springs.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
To replace rear springs, disconnect the ABS sensor wire and see that it has slack, then remove the lower shock bolt. The axle beam will move down enough for the spring to fall out. Make sure you have some support under the axle beam or it will pull on the brake lines and cause some damage. When the new shocks are in place, you may need to jack the axle beam up a bit to connect the lower shock mount.

Paul

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I broke one and just replaced the single spring. I bought the replacement at 1stvwparts.com (a VW dealer with online sales) and saved about $45 over what my local dealer charged. I disconnected the rear shock on its upper mounting. You are supposed to replace the two shock mount bolts if you remove them, but I did not have new ones, so I reused the old ones. No issues so far.

You don't need a spring compressor. Note to disconnect the ABS sensor wire from its retainer and watch the brake lines.

--Nate

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I stated the spring compressor way as there isn't any need to disconnect anything that way and no need for bolts. But you can do it taking more things apart as well. You can rent the spring compressor from most auto stores.

giw

TDI
99 jetta
all thank you i would have certaily ripped the abs out if you guys didnt respond

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Check your axle beam bushings. If they haven't been done they are way overdue. And you're probbaly getting some noise from them and possibly even handling issues.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I stated the spring compressor way as there isn't any need to disconnect anything that way and no need for bolts. But you can do it taking more things apart as well. You can rent the spring compressor from most auto stores.
True if you have one that fits. I did try my spring compressor first, but it would not fit up on the spring with it in the car.

--Nate

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Check your axle beam bushings. If they haven't been done they are way overdue. And you're probbaly getting some noise from them and possibly even handling issues.
yep we're doing rear beam bushings at same time as full susp refresh.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
I'll add a couple things to the "how to":

1) Jack the rear of the car on both sides and set it on floor jacks. IMPORTANT: BOTH SIDES
2) Remove rear wheels
3) As mentioned by others, make sure the ABS wire is either disconnected or removed from the hold clips
4) Remove lower shock bolts, both sides
5) You should now be able to move the axle beam lower and remove the springs without compressing.
6) Install new springs ON BOTH SIDES
7) Use your floor jack to raise the axle beam back in to position to put the lower shock bolt in.
8) Same for the other side.

Eric

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Might I virtual edit Shenandoah's post above.
4) Place floor jack under spring seat before removing the lower shock bolts, or the axle beam will instantly swing downward as the now free springs decompress and push the axle down. You might not be able to get the bolt out with spring tension on that side of the beam.
5) Remove lower shock bolts, etc.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
ninedee_golf_tdi,

Excellent additions. When I replaced the springs on my daughter's Golf TDI, both rear springs were broken, so there wasn't much tension/pressure when removing the lower rear shock bolts.

Safety is EXTREMELY important when working under a car.

Eric

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I jacked the back up a little using my tow hitch, loosed the bottom bolt on the shocks lifted some more and the springs were loose enough to pull out and replace them. I put the weight back on the springs, and finished swapping the shocks.
I could not believe how easy it was. I have ABS sensor in the front but not the rear.