New owner of a Q5 TDI

Ashleigh2006

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI and 2001 Jetta TDI (278k miles)
Howdy!

My name is Ashleigh and I am a long time driver of my own 01 Jetta TDI and my boyfriend's (redneck truck) Golf TDIs, Jetta Wagon TDI, A6 4.2, and TT TDI, BUT I am finally a proud new owner of my very own 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. I've been a member of this forum for awhile, but am looking forward to hearing from the Audi side of things.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Welcome to the Audi TDI club! It's a little bit quiet in here...

track_warrior

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG Tech / 2014 328d M-Sport
Welcome, how are you liking it so far? My wife was between the Q5 Tdi and GLK250 but ended up with a 328d M-Sport, i know weird right:eek:.

Ashleigh2006

TDI
I absolutely love it! Have already put 1600+ miles on it.

Standard trim level with the MMI navigation plus package.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Howdy!

My name is Ashleigh and I am a long time driver of my own 01 Jetta TDI and my boyfriend's (redneck truck) Golf TDIs, Jetta Wagon TDI, A6 4.2, and TT TDI, BUT I am finally a proud new owner of my very own 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. I've been a member of this forum for awhile, but am looking forward to hearing from the Audi side of things.
Hello neighbor,

How are you liking the Q5? Can you give any insight on regen frequency? The Q5 TDI is supposed to go up to 1000 miles between. Driving through stop and go Plano traffic my Passat TDI regens about every 200 miles.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Just completed the first road trip with the TDI. Started the trip with 238-mi on the odometer and ended with 1670-mi. Travelled from Atlanta, GA to Manassas, VA and return, which was a true combination of road-types. I estimate 70% of driving was on interstates (with cruise set at 77-mph) and remainder two-lane secondary roads (with cruise set at 62-mph). Also, did some city driving. The fuel consumption was better than expected. The first fill-up produced 26.9-mpg, second 32.2 and last 28.5. The MMI computer gave me an overall rating of 31-mpg. As the engine breaks-in, I expect that mpg to only improve. I noticed such an improvement in my Golf TDI. I'm a gentle driver, but do enjoy the torque and handling. I set the MMI to display the average mpg and instant mpg to control my emotions! The car handled beautifully! The hatch easily carried our weeks worth of "stuff." The wife stated that the car blows away our departing Acura RDX. Still working hard to understand how all the electronics functions and how to use them - no easy task! Can't figure out how to post picture!
2014 Audi Q5 TDI: PP, scuba blue, chestnut leather, MMI, side assist, rear side airbags, sport package, cargo mat, alum sat inlays & wheel lock kit.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=84319336

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
15,000-miles!

Just broke 15K-mi on the odometer, almost 1-yr to the date I picked it up from the dealer. Also had the 15K service done. Absolutely no issues with the car. It's an absolute pleasure to drive. I use "Fuely" (from day one) to track my diesel mpg and it just keeps getting better and better! MMI tells me my overall mpg is 30 and Fuely tells me it's 29. My best tank has been 34.5mpg. On the interstate with cruise set at 77-mph, I average 35.6-mpg. In town I get 27+! . Per Fuely, my average cost per mile is $0.12.

In the course of the year, I've added less than a quart of 504/507 oil and routinely use Power Stroke Kleen Diesel fuel additive. I check tire pressure every couple of weeks and drive at 34psi, one-lb over.

I got the AudiCare 50K maintenance package, so I should save considerably on scheduled dealer services.

Finest car we've ever owned!

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
You might try bumping the pressure to 40psi - I suspect you'll see consistent low 30s and the car will feel more responsive at low speeds and in corners, too.

Edit: For example, my V10 Touareg's recommended tire pressures are 37 front, 40 rear, and at those pressures, the truck gets about 15mpg and feels like a boat, and the tires wear badly and need frequent balancing. With the front tires at 50 and the rears at 47, the fuel economy exceeds 20mpg, the truck rides much more smoothly and handles like a much smaller vehicle, and the tires wear more consistently and don't require balancing near as often.

Last edited:

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Just passed 20k here. I don't keep track on fuelly, but in a separate log and the lifetime has been 32.1. this is driven primarily city though, with occasional highway trips of 50 miles or less. 85 mph the computer showed 37.9 mpg on flat roads.

Car keeps running, much better than the jetta.

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
Hi Ashleigh,
Just joined the tdi club again after going inactive in 2005. I have just 7000 miles on my Q5 tdi since buying in May this year. Am averaging 32.7 mpg on mixed driving, and really like the car. Hope you feel the same about yours. Wife and I are retired , so we don't pile on the miles like we used to. We are planning a trip west in May, and hope to crack the 40 mpg barrier on this trip. Nothing but good results from the car to date. How about you? Any problems or issues to discuss?

5harkology

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG
If you don't mind me asking. What did you guys pay for your Q5's?

My woman is obsessed with getting another RDX and I'm trying to justify a Q5 tdi instead.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Don't look now, but I think hers is for sale...

Ashleigh2006

TDI
If you don't mind me asking. What did you guys pay for your Q5's?
My woman is obsessed with getting another RDX and I'm trying to justify a Q5 tdi instead.
For the right price, I'd be interested in selling mine :)

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Just got a 2016 Q5 TDI myself. Traded in my Jetta Hybrid. I'm not going to get hybrid mpgs, but computer shows me getting in low 30s. We'll see what I get after a tank or two. Still on my first tank from the dealer. Threw in a quart of biodiesel for good measure. Lovin this car!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ha! Glad everyones enjoying this. I have been fantasizing about the 3.0 TDI for a while. When I got the Q5, the 3.0 was NOT on the banned list. Things have changed. VW is denying there is an issue with the 3.0s, but now they aren't being sold. This is by far the nicest car I've ever driven and it puts a smile on my face every time I start it up. It's getting great mpgs for a car of its size, but too new to get an accurate read. The torque is impressive. It's easy to get going 80 mph without realizing it. The Bang and Olofson sound system is excellent. I'm looking forward to driving it to Ohio soon. Nevertheless, I guess I was a bit impulsive in buying the Q5, but it is so nice. I hope this gets sorted out somehow. Guess I should still be driving my Jetta hybrid, but it was no where near as nice to drive.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I've been been driving my dirty diesel around quite a bit and enjoying the ride. The MFI has been reading in the low to mid 30s. I suspect the computer is a bit optimistic. So far, the one tank that I hand calculated returned a little over 31 mpg. This is a mix of city driving (mostly), secondary roads, and some highway. Not too bad for a vehicle of this size (and torque). I'm actually waiting to hear from Audi regarding the status of the 3.0L TDIs and emissions. They actually called me after I returned their questionnaire about my purchase experience, but I couldn't take the call. I'm guessing I'll get no substantial information, but one can hope.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I am loving my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI it has all the Options plus some that my Jetta Hybrid Had and Lifetime Mileage to date is better that the Hybrids ever was.....

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The TDIs are more enjoyable to drive and more forgiving of a heavy right foot. My hybrid served its purpose and if you were willing to be very light on the accelerator to keep it going under battery power as much as possible, you could get mpgs into the low 50s. I grew weary of that driving style, though. Oh well, it was a fun experiment. Got a call from Audi about the 3L TDI emissions status-no information to give.;)

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, second measured fill up netted a little over 30 mpg. Not bad for driving around in heavy Boston traffic. The MFI appears to be optimistic since it reads low to mid 30s frequently. I'm beating the EPA estimate of 24 mpg city, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Looking forward to upcoming long highway trips to get a better sense how it does on pure highway. Off to a good start. The 3L TDI is very peppy, even at highway speeds. Really enjoying this car. I hope diesel isn't dead.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I just picked up a 2016 BMW X3 xdrive28d. It's a wonderful machine! Not as powerful as the Q5, but plenty of pep, better than the 2010 Jetta it replaced. Mpgs will be better than the Q5. They both have their charms. Not sure which I like better.

ncsuengineer1

TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6M
Do you still have the Q5 and just added the X3d to the family? Wife has been getting over 32 hand calc and she says car will show 40 on the gauge readout. I'm ready for our road trip to Savannah for Easter :)

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I traded my 2010 Jetta TDI on the X3. So, now I have the Q5 and X3. They are both great machines. The Q5 is more of a beast with the 3L TDI. The X3 has the 2L engine, but still plenty of pep and certainly more hp and torque than the Jetta. It's clear that the X3 will get better mpgs with the smaller engine. I have had small trips with the Q5 where the computer reads >40 mpg, but calculating after fill ups for a full tank I'm averaging in the low 30s. I think that's great for a car that size and with that much power. My Q5 also has 20 inch summer wheels, which I just put back on, replacing 17 inch winter tires. We'll see what effect that has on mpgs. My wife and I will be swapping cars and she does a lot of quick errands, so that will probably lower the mpgs a bit. I'll be interested to see how I do on long trips.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Just handed VW back my 2010 Golf TDI. Loved that car! Got a BMW diesel (see below), which are hard to find! Needed more "safety" options in my declining years. The Q5 TDI is doing beautifully and Audi is NOT getting this car back!