The 400k mile club!

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
I know need to update the signature but I just hit 427K last week. head was replaced at 112K due to original owner not changing timing belt, Dash cluster at 115K(new one says 312K) clutch at 323K due to throwout bearing failure(clutch was still fine but replaced anyway), one seal in IP, other than that some suspension and brakes a few times ya know the usual stuff is about all it has needed. Clear coat has been peeling for a few years and rust has really came in strong the past year or so....seats are still in great condition though. and as others have said drivers side window issues over and over. I love it though and looking forward to the half million mile mark.

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
what else can we talk about...additives that some people swear by....and others think are snake oil.?
I should have added that...I put a little power service(white) in every tank. when jasontdi replaced the top seal on my IP he said it was the cleanest one he had ever seen.....changed fuel filter at same time and it had 60K on it and he could not believe it was as good as it was. if it had anything to do with the PS or not i'm sticking with it.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
love this thread....hope you guys keep piling on the miles..the best to all of you. great stories.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
At the end of May 2012, I will be moving to a new house that will be about 2.2 miles away from work. I'll be riding my bike in the summer. I will have to look for a scenic route home at least once a week in the winter, just to warm it up.
I really don't think that I will live long enough to get much over 300k, let alone 400k.
:cool:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Well, just joined the club last weekend.

This is the most recent picture I have of it, at about 395K (I'd just washed it).

The new badges are on order and should arrive anytime.

I replaced the head at 393K due to a leaking head gasket, and since I had a spare in the barn, I had Franko6 do a refresh on it and add a cam while he was at it. There was nothing wrong with the old head other than the miles on it. The injectors I just had Kerma replace with some PP520's, and I've done a lot of work on it over the years, preferring to do the work myself. Basically, whenever something needed replacing, it got upgraded rather than staying with the same stock parts. The turbo, IP, and bottom end are all still original. I also add 2 cycle oil and Power Service to every tank and the IP looked great when I resealed it around 385K. My last tank yielded 49.8 mpg and I don't drive it easy. I work 30 miles away and am not a courier, so the 38-40K I put on a year are just around upper New England.

Needless to say, it scoots right along now. Headed for 500K as long as no one totals it.

Last edited:

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
I have 491 and change on mine. Replaced the turbo once, original clutch and all the other basics. Just had the Hammer bod done 15K ago, so I cannot wait for winter to see if it improves the cold starting issues. Mine is not a beauty queen due to salt and cinders in the winter, contruction and contruction trucks in the summers. It only gets washed when it rains.

My hat is off to everyone who drives these things.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Joined the club last night:

This is my most recent photo. It was taken Thursday on my way home from a 1300+ mile business trip which paid me $0.555/mile:

The head has never been removed, the original cam looked great when it came out to be replaced with a Colt Stage II cam a year ago, and it had the original waterpump until about a month ago when it finally developed some shaft play. :eek:

I've considered having my spare head rebuilt with improvements. But there's something kind of cool about being able to say, "the head's never been off the car," which translates to "no rebuilds." :cool:

I'm awaiting my updated trunk badge:

:p

Scott

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Where'd you get that badge? That should be on sale here. There are plenty of folks who get over the 50 mph mark REGULARLY. Just sayin'. :);):D

I still remember your daughter in the car at the '04 Fest in Boston. What a look of pleasure on her face as you went through the marked parking lot run! Hangin' with her dad. I wonder if she'll get this car when she's old enough~!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
It's a custom badge at GoBadges.com. I don't make a cent from the sales. I just made the graphic and had them put it into a standard "grille badge" format. They used to have my 350k design displayed on their site. I guess they removed it if it wasn't selling. I have mine mounted in place of the rear VW emblem.

Regarding my daughter and her joy of riding in the car, check out THIS VIDEO of her first ride-along in an actual autocross event. She was nine. It still makes me smile. :) I'd upload the video to YouTube. But the music protection stuff blocks the sound. I feel the song is fitting for the occasion and chose to just host the larger version on my website. :)

No, I don't expect she'll get my car. I like it too much! We'll see if it's still around when she's 16 and whether I still feel the same. But she currently wants to get a Mk3 "just like mine" to drive when she's old enough. I can deal with that. ;)

Take Care,

Scott

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Hey, I like that! You said before that they mount it in a grill badge mount? Does this go on top of the existing VW emblem on the back or does the emblem have to come off to look 'right'? What about putting it on the front?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
K5ING,

I depends on the size of your emblems. In the back of my Mk3, I pulled the factory badge off and glued the mounting ring in place. Actually, just remembered, the ring is a tad too large for the trunk recess. So I glued magnets to the back to space the badge away from the base metal. I put GOOP adhesive among the magnets to secure the badge so it wouldn't fall off when I hit a bump. These badges are actually designed to mount to the grille slats instead of in place of the emblem. BUT, they can cover up the emblem. I have some measurements in THIS POST.

Scott

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I posted this photo in another thread last week, when my 2003 Golf celebrated its 400,000th mile.

It is running better than ever, but I need to rebuild the original front axles and replace the Chinese-made ones currently in place. The Chinese axles resonate at 3800 rpm and limit my top speed to around 105-110 mph.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
why dont you guys include pictures?? that would be more fun....amazing mileages....wonder if the CRs will make it that far....not trying to open any cans of replies...just sayin.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Yeah! Pictures AND stories. Favorite moments. Favorite rides. Issues that arose during those 400k. Et cetera! Saying that you have arrived at this threshold is fine, but hearing more details really makes the thread. :)

ssbourbon1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5sp- Black, 2006 NB DSG- Red
Hello new neighbors and friends. I still haveto get the pic off my phone, but I graduated to the 400K club today. Looking forward to spending the next 100k with you all!