Where to find the 04 center console thing?

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
volmaniac said:
Another source for a used one might be undergroundvwparts on the vortex.
Only problem with underground is that they know just how in demand these cupholders are. I asked a couple of years ago and it was about $20 cheaper than what impex wanted new.

I got mine by being the first to jump on a part out on the vortex. The guy sent me the whole kit with the e-brake handle for $75.

im no hero x

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Variant 5-spd
Anyone know the part number for the plastic ebrake cover? I kinda destroyed mine in the process of switching it over :(

And so what I need to make the rear cupholder stay in place is the cap? I was trying to figure that out haha

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
greengeeker said:
Just did this mod tonight. Took my time elongating the front hole in the ebrake bracket - ended up being a slot instead of a hole. .
Does anyone have instructions? The link on Vortex is busted. Can you explain what you remove to put in the new brake handle? Do you affect the hand brake cables at all? And, what's this about elongating a hole?

thx.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
if you are using a new "cupholder console" e-brake handle, then it is a bolt on with no modification at all. If you are reusing your previous handle, then you have to modify the mounting hole so that the handle slants off towards the driver's side to fit the hole in the cupholder console.

Athfar

TDI
2006 2.0T
Hey guys... I just thought I would do this while I was trying to fix some of my other trim pieces...

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&partno=266123&x=20&y=0

Does this comes with a leather wraped brake handle and if not does anyone have the old vwvortex http://sites.vwsport.com/fierrpawz/ cached if I need to modify the thing?

Oh, also... I have a 2000 Jetta and it has a sliding rear cup holder and little flippy cubby (that I have had to fix on numerous occasions)... Are there any parts to the impex that I won't need?

JMynes

TDI
'03 Jetta Automatic
Cupholders!!

I did this swap using the part numbers listed in post number 10. I ordered these parts from 1stVWParts:
1J0-858-373-C-3SG - GREY rear tray (not needed if keeping your armrest)
1J0-863-323-R-3SG - GREY Console (they shipped 1J0-863-323-S-3SG)
1J0-862-533-F-3SG - GREY rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-U71 - GREY coin holder
1J0-858-033-3SG - GREY Cap (not really a cap, it's an adapter to make the rear cupholder work)
For right at $110 shipped I got all the right parts and it was an easy job.
The toughest part was oblonging the hole in the e-brake handle mount, if it weren't for my drill, grind (Dremel), try, grind more, try, grind more method, this would have taken about 20 minutes. When finished, it's still plenty strong. Save yourself some money and re-use your handle.
I'd rate this a 2 out of 10 for difficulty, only because you have to use power tools to make the e-brake handle fit.
I'm rating it 10 out of 10 for "glad I did it" :D

Athfar

TDI
2006 2.0T
JMynes said:
I did this swap using the part numbers listed in post number 10. I ordered these parts from 1stVWParts:
1J0-858-373-C-3SG - GREY rear tray (not needed if keeping your armrest)
1J0-863-323-R-3SG - GREY Console (they shipped 1J0-863-323-S-3SG)
1J0-862-533-F-3SG - GREY rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-U71 - GREY coin holder
1J0-858-033-3SG - GREY Cap (not really a cap, it's an adapter to make the rear cupholder work)
For right at $110 shipped I got all the right parts and it was an easy job.
The toughest part was oblonging the hole in the e-brake handle mount, if it weren't for my drill, grind (Dremel), try, grind more, try, grind more method, this would have taken about 20 minutes. When finished, it's still plenty strong. Save yourself some money and re-use your handle.
I'd rate this a 2 out of 10 for difficulty, only because you have to use power tools to make the e-brake handle fit.
I'm rating it 10 out of 10 for "glad I did it" :D
OK I spent some time on the phone with the dealer today... The parts end in 4TE for beige btw.

As far as this part goes (1J0-862-533-F-4TE) my buddy says that on his 2004 there is just a plastic cap instead of this cup holder deal (which listed on worldimpex for beige is 102 smackaroos). I have the sliding cup holder already and on top of that is the little flippy cubby with red inside. Is there just the cap instead of the extra cup holder that is possibly cheaper?

Oh, and another Beige comment... The coin insert is 1J0-863-328-G-Q70 and at my dealer is actually only $3.78

Last edited:

Athfar

TDI
2006 2.0T

This is the assembly I have... Not sure where that single slot cup holder goes or if it is necessary since I have (9) the sliding cup holder and (6) the little cubby.

I wouldn't mind keeping those two if possible or replacing the cubby with a "cap."

Anyone have a schematic for the 2004-05 models?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
A little late, but I don't believe the cuphold or ashtray from the previous gen will work - the expensive cuphold rides on a track rather than in a slot.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yup, rear cupholder from the old style console(double with flaps) will not fit the new style console.(single pullout)

posterChild

TDI
2000 Black Jetta GL
Since this post has been semi-resurrected, I figured I'd take this time to update a couple items that I found confusing when reading these cup holder threads. When you order the kit to convert, you need the following (as stated previously in this thread) items (I'm using the Black coded items, but the other colors are listed here):
1J0-863-323-R-2QL - BLACK console
1J0-863-328-G-B41 - BLACK coin holder
1J0-862-533-F-2QL - BLACK rear cup holder
1J0-858-033-A2QL - BLACK Cap (supersedes 1J0-858-033-2QL)
Now, the confusion I had was about the "cap". The cap is the plate that covers the screws in the rear of the console. Here's a picture that shows the console + rear cup holder _without_ the cap:

Here's one _with_ the cap:

And lastly, here is the actual cap:

Note the little yellow 'gear' in the top picture. This is what makes the rear tray 'glide' out and in. Without this piece, the rear cup holder is loosely held in place and not useful if pulled out to the rear.
I found all this info and more in this other thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=49017
which was when this console originally came to market and the fine folks here at tdiclub were working to figure out the process of what it took to retrofit the older MK4s.
Hopefully this helps someone understand what all the pieces are and gets them on their way to ordering up some cup holder goodness.
posterChild

unsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
D'oh! Looks like the original DIY on this is gone. Anybody have another link or anything? Thanks!

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
unsub1 said:
D'oh! Looks like the original DIY on this is gone. Anybody have another link or anything? Thanks!
I Archive.org it and i got this, http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://sites.vwsport.com/fierrpawz/

Its a little harder to navigate but atleast theres a writeup somewhere.
Unfortunatly there are no pics, except some thumpnails, to see the writeup you must click on each individual pic. I am doing this mod today so i may do a writeup.

Last edited:

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Here is a pic of what you need to mod, its the actual e-brake bracket itself, basically you drill out the front one till it will be able to tilt enough to have it line up with the console. Other than this, all you need to know is how to remove the console, and Vortex's mod page has a writeup on how to do that.

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Anyone have a center console w/cupholder in black they want to sell me?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Anyone have pics of what this looks like? I would LOVE to have a center section more like my Passat and this may be a great way to do it.
I just used the Passat side mount on my Jetta that way I don't have water dripping on my radio. and you can buy the passat cup holders for around 40$

jfwestgen

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI sedan
Want to do this swap out, but parts are not available?

This thread is very old, but I have a 2002 with the old style cupholders and want to do the console swap out. When I go to 1stvwparts.com, it says the new style is no longer available from the manufacturer. Anyone know where I can get the new style?

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
What color and which parts are you looking for? Post #10 on page 1 of this thread has the parts breakdown. That ECS link in Chris Bell's post above is a pretty good reference, too. Also, not too bad a price for the kit.

I did this upgrade to my 2002 (black), and I'll be parting out that car in about a month, so I can check condition, etc. if you might be interested. The newer parking brake handle does not need to be used -- you can angle your existing lever off about 10 degrees or so and it will work perfectly. I figured this out on the second one of these that I did.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
200 bucks to put cup holders in, ouch. I want to kick the VW employee in the nuts that said the in dash ones were sufficient....

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Note that the ECS kit doesn't include the mechanism that holds the slide out rear cup holder in place. I think it is also missing the 'cap'.

It looks fine with the cup holder slid in but it doesn't stay put:

I also elected to delete the arm rest since the original was broken when I bought the car and the ebay replacement I had put in failed about a month after installing it.

The pic above shows the original e-brake handle modified to fit. It was never quite right so I later picked up a proper part from an '04.

I'll find a take off console from a yard one of these days to salvage the mechanism from.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I was just going to mention I didn't need to do anything to my bracket or slot the holes for the ebrake handle. I just slightly pulled the ebrake handle toward the drivers side and it was good. It's been good ever since.

jfwestgen

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI sedan
Anyone know where I can get the grey version of this console? I also have a 02, and the ECS site doesn't have it in grey...

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Anyone know where I can get the grey version of this console? I also have a 02, and the ECS site doesn't have it in grey...
See if you have any LKQ salvage yards near you. I will keep an eye out for you. Usually you can pick one up from somebody for about $80.00

Also check on Vortex, lots of cars being parted on there.

jfwestgen

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI sedan
Thanks Terry for hooking me up with the console and soon the armrest! Put in the console last night, psyched to have unblocked access to the radio! :)