3 Bar map upgrade & tuning? ALH 1.9

jshwamie

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
Anyone good with logs that can share some input on them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You're getting boost spikes at lower RPMs, would personally like to see that boost specified taper off 100-150mbar up top too but that's tuning related and not a big deal. Since you can only see 2-3 blocks of boost spike there there's probably even worse in some scenarios, which would explain the limp mode. It's not safe to drive hard as is. The return line obviously has oil on it.

Look at boost specified versus actual. The actual values shouldn't be more than 100-150mbar over. You're maxing the turbo at lower RPMs, fueling should be reduced or actuator adjustment might be needed. I'd start by bumping the IQ up a bunch to see if that remedies things, assuming you have excessive fuel.

Last edited:

jshwamie

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
You're getting boost spikes at lower RPMs, would personally like to see that boost specified taper off 100-150mbar up top too but that's tuning related and not a big deal. Since you can only see 2-3 blocks of boost spike there there's probably even worse in some scenarios, which would explain the limp mode. It's not safe to drive hard as is. The return line obviously has oil on it.

Look at boost specified versus actual. The actual values shouldn't be more than 100-150mbar over. You're maxing the turbo at lower RPMs, fueling should be reduced or actuator adjustment might be needed. I'd start by bumping the IQ up a bunch to see if that remedies things, assuming you have excessive fuel.
Aah okay, I see what your saying. Strange this just came out of no where. I'll investigate this further with my mechanic friend. I'll also adjust that IQ as you suggested and see what that does for me, or actuator if no change. Thanks bunch for the input.
Whags your take on the oil on the return oil feed line? Wonder if there is a gasket or something in there that is shot? Looking back at my repair logs for the vehicle. Looks like in 2011 the previous owner replaced the oil feed line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Awhile back my turbo started over boosting for no apparent reason: the lock nut on my actuator rod came loose and the rod vibrated to the shortest possible position creating the worst case of over boost I had ever seen. Although this may not be your problem exactly, if the return spring in the actuator is getting tired it may not be extending the arm as it should also causing over boost. When over boost comes out of nowhere and is not caused by dirty vanes, one of the two examples given is sometimes the cause.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
That intake manifold would be better suited for a heavily modified car, see boost spike issues with them on PDs, and if your fueling is too aggressive that would cause problems as well. Judging by the fact that your boost is always over, it's probably either excessive fueling or incorrect actuator position/turbo issue. If it's not billowing smoke out the rear view mirror it's likely a physical issue. O rings on the return line might have been re-used, or they might not be tight enough.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just looked at the picture and I wonder if the two bolts holding the drain line on are tight?
I only bring this up as I had a similar looking oil leak a while back and it did not occur to me the bolts holding on the drain line could be loose. Mine were.

jshwamie

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
Just an update. I didn't take care of it in time. There was no real signs of complete failure coming until it was too late. Suddenly had no power and I could hear.. Noises.
The turbo failed and drained the engine of oil dumping it all into the Intercooler. Because of this the cylinder head was deprived of lube and the sprocket that transfers the power from the cam, to the timing belt. Yeah that sprocket broke str8 off.

Result? Broken cam of course, because of this the lobes and journals were destroyed. Warped cracked cylinder head. No damage thankfully to bottom.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Pictures? Be interesting to see the carnage.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I would make sure rods are not bent...get a 2nd hand cyl head and fit it along with pd150 head bolts and INA genuine tappets. Fit a new timing belt kit or good measure too !

jshwamie

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
Yeah I got some photos I'll dig them up. The cartridge failed and the wheel spun out. I pulled pieces of it out of my intercooler.

As for the pistons I have one of the best diesel mechanics in the vw game as my brother in law he thinks it's good, however without xraying it and checking pistons there no way to know. I just can't afford that atm.
I sourced another tdi and took the cylinder head off of that one. I should have done the whole thing but my working conditions where not ideal where it was.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Get the pistons as high as they go in the block and measure their protrusion, if rods are bent the engine wont last long !