The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or
systems:

 The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel
Exhaust Fluid system components
, the exhaust flap, and all sensors
and actuators
I'm pretty sure "other DEF components" should include the heater.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
VW called the dealer this morning. They talked, and VW is covering it :). They will order the part and I'll go back next week to get it installed.

A bit of a pain to have to call VW myself, but I now understand that that's not the dealer's choice. In fact when the service adviser called me early this morning (he was out yesterday and didn't know I'd already called VW) he started with "Please call VW so we can talk to them and get them to cover it."

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW called the dealer this morning. They talked, and VW is covering it :). They will order the part and I'll go back next week to get it installed.

A bit of a pain to have to call VW myself, but I now understand that that's not the dealer's choice. In fact when the service adviser called me early this morning (he was out yesterday and didn't know I'd already called VW) he started with "Please call VW so we can talk to them and get them to cover it."

A dealer should still be advocating for the customer especially regarding this type of warranty claim, not a helpless middle man. But alas, we know where the money lies and when the chips fall all dealers will act like this.

Dearborn

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL
Bought "fixed" 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TDI from local dealer, June 2018 with 48k miles. Car sold as "VW Certified Pre-owned". On the CPO website it says "all required and suggested maintenance done'" "CarFax" given to me at purchase has very puzzling records of what and when, was done after VW took ownership of this car; didn't realize this until problems started. Just 4,000 miles later, at 52k, "oil service required" light comes on. Go to selling VW dealer for most expensive oil change in my life-$83!!!! and told "you need to service DSG", quoted $400+!!!! In long series of contacts with "VW Customer Care" can NOT get straight answer as to whether 40k service was done before sale, which includes DSG service. Then CEL light on, DTC P148B &P148C indicate "AdBlue" system failure. Dealer eventually repairs/replaces AdBlue heater module and AdBlue tank under extended emissions warranty after lengthy series of contacts with VW Customer Care and 2 week period of repeated visits to dealer. Told by service dept that cost to VW was $1600!! Oil change by me at 62k with "special sauce" VW 507.00 oil. Now at 66k miles, CEL on again! Same P148B DTC!!! Indicating AdBlue system problems. I really like this car but I bought it to drive, not sit in a dealer waiting for parts. Maybe time to do a super detail job and sell this car

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Dang. Sorry to hear of this. It seems you've been reasonable to work with and VW will lose you as a customer for life now. I wonder what their cost of that is.

Dearborn

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL
I've worked in dealerships for 35 years in every capacity from mechanic to service mgr., parts, and even sold used cars, (shudder!), I know how things work and VW "Customer Care" is trying to hand it off to the dealer, the people I'm having the problem with!
Paid premium "VW CPO" price, to ease concerns over emissions system problems.
The Service Dept. is doing what they are told to do; that's why these accounts of them telling the customer to call VW. Took some serious jumping through hoops to get them to fix it things at sale, (both me and my wife, sliced the crap out of our fingers on peeling trim on shifter surround and knob, blood all over the place, now "chrome" on steering wheel is doing the same, also missing parts in cargo area), then same with AdBlue system. I told them the codes the CEL was showing, logged them meticulously, and even diagnosed the problem for them! Still had car for two days, CEL light returned on way home from "fix" Root of problem is Sales Dept pushed this thing through factory "fix"; No record of when things were done, who did what, etc, etc. They handed me a "CarFax" to encourage sale, but it's all blank after VW took ownership of car, which came out of S. Carolina- bought it in Michigan!! Sales dept fingerprints are all over this, selling salesman no longer works there. Cas e worker at VW Customer Care tried but was NOT knowledgeable about cars in general or dealership workings/procedures.
I've seen this stuff countless times in my career, vowed to NEVER buy a car from a dealer, only private customer, but I got the "red mist" in my eyes on this one, stuck with it for now.