contamplating heating coolant.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
specifically, can someone please clarify the difference between the different coolant heaters available: Zerostart and Frostheater. I'm assuming Frostheater is a lot easier to install, and comes with a complete kit.

also, whats the story with these plug-in heating elements from Phillips and Temro? Is there a solution for the TDI, or is there drilling required? Can I run it off my battery for some quick heat while in the store or when away from electrical outlet?

For clarification, I'm planning on installing the Frostheater because I do a lot of short trips to the gym, but there is no outlet there, so I would like to combine it with a heating plug.

What do you guys think?

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta big build ALH, NMS B7 15' Passat EA288
Well last night was the first nigt it got below freezing and even before this happened I was thinking about installing one of these. Did a bit of research on the two companys that you listed and the Zerostart is only a 750 watt heater while the Frostheater is 1000 watt. Just a lil info. I think I'll be going with the Frostheater since thats what is installed on a friends car already, and he hasn't had any issues for the few years its been installed.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
good point, i think i will get the one from Kerma. please excuse me while i drool over Webasto[pdf]

Or Turbo Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Passat GLX Wagon, 2003 Jetta
Zerostart makes 1000 and 1500 watt heaters also, I have a 1500 but haven't installed it yet.

Here is a link I found:http:
//www.jcwhitney.com/tank-type-engine-heaters/p2000837.jcwx#prodDetailTabPanel

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
The Frostheater brand is a line of complete kits designed specifically for tdi's that utilizes a tank/heating element sourced from Zerostart; kit also includes hoses, clamps, etc. For the price they are a bargain.
Installing a coolant heater on a MKIV tdi is not the same as installing one on most other cars. Installing a generic heater, even a Zerostart, is going to be a PITA as compared to the Frostheater, and it may not perform nearly as well.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
thank you for completely true and useful information! i bet it gets mighty cold in Maine, and these come in very useful. do you use one of these kits yourself? what do you think about the power draw on one of these units, and could it be possible to run it on the car battery, provided some discharge guard was installed...

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Impossible to run on the battery. The physical limitation of the battery storage device could not sustain a consistent flow of current to heat the engine and then start the car.

The ONLY way to operate a coolant heater is with a 120V 15A outlet.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I don't have one, yet. I've lived off the grid since I purchased the Golf in '06 till now. Running a coolant heater is way down the list of priorities on what my amp/hours of power get allocated to. I'm going to install one this fall though. I can plug in at work and am spending about .5 the week at a location on the grid.
I wouldn't think twice about what to buy however for a MKIV, Frostheater wins hands down.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Impossible to run on the battery. The physical limitation of the battery storage device could not sustain a consistent flow of current to heat the engine and then start the car.

The ONLY way to operate a coolant heater is with a 120V 15A outlet.
Not 100% true "Webasto Heater" is ran off of the diesel and uses a little bit of battery to keep it running. Truckers use it and there is a few TDI's out there with them as well. But other then that your are correct. The Frost heater is more cost effective then the Webasto heater for buying unless you have no plug-ins anywhere.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Not 100% true "Webasto Heater" is ran off of the diesel and uses a little bit of battery to keep it running. Truckers use it and there is a few TDI's out there with them as well. But other then that your are correct. The Frost heater is more cost effective then the Webasto heater for buying unless you have no plug-ins anywhere.
Espar makes similiar heaters as well, higher quality in fact (with a price to match). Both Webasto and Espar make various types and sizes of heaters heaters that we install in boats for central heat. Good stuff but spendy.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Mk V in Canada

I have a TDIHeater (by Frostheater) 1000W kit (part # HTR7 (2005.5-2006 TDI 5 spd only)). I've used it down to -40 (C or F, take your pick) when I'm a bit further north (North Bay or thereabouts). I don't need any more heat - 90C from startup, usually clear windows too. I have a timer, I turn it on 3 hrs (metric ;) ) before I plan to leave.

If you want to avoid "cord dangle" and having to clean the plug of snow/mud, there is a classy looking addition you can do - the "Coolant Heater Lower Grill Outlet". See http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=117822&highlight=frostheater for details. I finally got around to finishing mine - the epoxy is now curing on it. Not so easy on a Mk V as some earlier models, but still doable by an "all thumbs" workman.

Dan

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Well yes, but the OP is talking about the resistive type. :)

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I know, had to give you are hard time and let others know there is another option. But expensive and it can hurt the MPG as it is using fuel.

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I have a TDIHeater (by Frostheater) 1000W kit (part # HTR7 (2005.5-2006 TDI 5 spd only)). I've used it down to -40 (C or F, take your pick) when I'm a bit further north (North Bay or thereabouts). I don't need any more heat - 90C from startup, usually clear windows too. I have a timer, I turn it on 3 hrs (metric ;) ) before I plan to leave.

If you want to avoid "cord dangle" and having to clean the plug of snow/mud, there is a classy looking addition you can do - the "Coolant Heater Lower Grill Outlet". See http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=117822&highlight=frostheater for details. I finally got around to finishing mine - the epoxy is now curing on it. Not so easy on a Mk V as some earlier models, but still doable by an "all thumbs" workman.

Dan
There is also a replacement grill piece that accepts a regular 3 prong plug as well if you don't want that fancy style of
connector.

Edit: Just noticed that DIY one is for MKIV, I'm talking MKV.

Last edited:

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Installing a generic heater, even a Zerostart, is going to be a PITA as compared to the Frostheater, and it may not perform nearly as well.
Your statement here is not founded in fact. I've installed dozens of zerostart heaters, using generic heater hose and a gates unicoil to form the elbows. Furthermore, the performance is identical in will be no way inferior to using a frostheater.

I'm not knocking the Frostheater, great product for people who lack the motivation or know how to make their own install kit. Personally I'd rather get the same result for half the money. My '02.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Your statement here is not founded in fact. I've installed dozens of zerostart heaters, using generic heater hose and a gates unicoil to form the elbows. Furthermore, the performance is identical in will be no way inferior to using a frostheater.

I'm not knocking the Frostheater, great product for people who lack the motivation or know how to make their own install kit. Personally I'd rather get the same result for half the money. My '02.
Well said. Myself I would pay for the prefab kit but that is all the Frost heater is. Sometimes coming up with the prefab can be hard FYI for everyone else. Terry designed the ones for the older rabbits off my car and it was fast. Terry then designed the ones for the 09 TDI's from my fathers car and it took many hours to find the best placement and correct assortment of hoses, etc. For that I would rather pay someone for figuring that out. But the heater itself is nothing special. Also if you live out of the country the exchange rates may be bad enough to want to creat your own kit. To each there own.

Also just as a correct terms as I have read a few times now on other posts. We don't have block heaters and we can't have block heaters. A true block heater you take a plug out of the block and install a heating element.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg

Actually it is founded on fact; facts based on how I perceive the two different types of installations. The facts based on how you perceive them may very well be, and obviously are, different then mine. That does not make either assertion correct or incorrect.