View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:05   #75
wishboneracing

Default rear bar alone - cautions

Hello! Yes I agree that caution is needed to keep from misleading people. I'm a mech engineer too and understand the need to take care with regard to all the possible users out there. This is why I explained that I have some driving experience. You are right to raise flags of caution here. My primary points were that there is no sudden change when the inner rear tire lifts, and that limit understeer is a good safe thing, with my current set-up.

Here is my set-up: stock 'sport' GTI suspension (including stock front bar of course), good 225/45-17 tires (fresh GY F1 GSD3, excellent in wet especially), H&R 28mm rear bar on 'maximum' hole, heavy gas-guzzling VR6 out front encouraging understeer.

So it is indeed a big rear bar. This is why after adding the bar I purposely went out to provoke and toss it to see if it would be scary in extreme situations. And as I report, I haven't found it to be so. Yes, into tight corners on the brakes, the rear end is light and will step out a bit. But this is in very aggressive driving and is easily controllable.... If you have some prior experience with this stuff!! as you say. But certainly in lower grip conditions (even just in the wet with less effective tires, but especially on dirt or snow!!), different more dramatic results could be seen. Any modded car should be approached with caution at first, preferably on a track at a lapping day. And the first mod investment should always be in the driver - in a school! Thanks for having me clarify.

BTW - Another Safety Sidebar - my H&R external rear bar came with pathetic clamps for attachment to the twist beam. I had three suffer fatigue failure - not good. I have now installed the better Neuspeed clamps with my H&R bar, as many others are doing. If you have or may buy an H&R rear bar, PLEASE see: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2388065

Attn SF Bay Area people: there's a rally school coming up at Thunderhill. See http://www.sfrscca.org/RallyX/

Cheers, Pete

Last edited by wishboneracing; April 14th, 2006 at 10:46.
wishboneracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07082 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.21 Kb. compressed to 14.59 Kb. by saving 1.61 Kb. (9.96%)]