Auto/Manual MK4 Differences (Besides IP and injectors)

tfhgy52

TDI
2001 Golf GL ALH
Hey all, recently found out my car (mk4 Golf ALH) may have gone through an auto to manual swap. While I'm thrilled I have the 11mm pump (if my car was swapped), I want to get my facts straight, unfortunately I'm trying to sell the car.

Is it true that the brake pedal was smaller on the manual? Is there a difference on the cluster?

My trim level is the meat and potatoes GL, and has nothing fancy. I do, however, have a small grey bar across the bottom of the center of the cluster, where I see the automatics have the P/R/N/D/3/2/1. Was it mass produced like that for all cars or was this an auto-exclusive thing?

Lastly, are there any other differences between the auto and manual? Such as random things like alternator, hoses, brakes, etc. and is there anything I should keep an eye on?

Thanks in advance!

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
The manual cluster has odometer mileage and trip odometer reading. An auto to manual cluster would have a blank space above the odometer readings where the auto gear selector WAS. Auto's do have a larger brake pedal,but that doesn't mean the brake pedal assembly wasn't changed over to a manual brake pedal assembly when the swap was done. If you connect to VCDS you'll get a "no communication from TCM" when you go to auto transmission.

Not sure what your concerns are?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Look at the coolant flange on the back of the cylinder head. Manuals have three coolant glow plugs in the metal flange. Automatics have a plastic flange with no glow plugs. The flange is expensive, so odds are it wasn't swapped. Also, there's a relay box on the firewall of manual cars, right near the MAF. No box, automatic car. There are some cooling hose and power steering line differences too, but those may be harder to detect.

My son has a auto-to-manual swap car. Aside from what I've mentioned, you'd never know. Drives like a manual.

tfhgy52

TDI
2001 Golf GL ALH
Thanks guys. I guess my concern is that it went unnoticed for so long. Also that whoever did the swap did it properly.

So it seems like I should just treat it like any other manual.

The one comment I did get was that it "shifted too smooth compared to other VW's". Is there a way to tell what clutch I have without taking things apart? Wondering if I have a SMF or anything upgraded.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep,pretty much treat it like any other manual,because it is a manual now. No way to tell what clutch you have unless there is someone out there that knows some little specific difference between manufactures. Not sure why the comment on the "too smooth" is all about.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Auto also had a fuel cooler located under the car on the passenger's side. Looks like a silver box with ribs.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So does the auto cluster, ;)
The manual cluster has odometer mileage and trip odometer reading. An auto to manual cluster would have a blank space above the odometer readings where the auto gear selector WAS.
You're quoting me out of context.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The manual cluster has odometer mileage and trip odometer reading. An auto to manual cluster would have a blank space above the odometer readings where the auto gear selector WAS.
You're quoting me out of context.
Well then your confusing, lol. Both have odometers, ;)