How long does timing belt change take?

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I need a timing belt change, so I called the local (Huntsville, Al) VW dealer and asked if it can be done in one day -- I can't get by without the car overnight. The service guy said that it would be close because it takes 8 hours "and that's if everything goes OK." So, how long should it take? It's a 2001 Golf, 60,000 miles.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
We did one a couple of weeks ago at my house in 2.5 hours. There are 2 of us, and we have a pretty good routine down. That certainly isn't the norm...usually takes about 3 to 4 hours, and that includes the water pump, all rollers, setting the injection timing, and cleaning the intake.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
You're close enough to Davidbru in McDonough...

Order the $340 kit from www.dieselgeek.com and contact him to see if/when he's available. Shouldn't take more than 4 - 5 hours, and if he's got the time, I'm sure you could arrange a weekend rendezvous. (He's one of the "guru"s here... as is LWB053, but he's in Tampa... a bit of a schlep for you...)

Yuri.

Sprunch

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf Gl Bright Green
I just had mine done by my dealership and I'm thourghly disgusted...they gave it to a tech with a severe case of wanderlust, after four hours on disassembly he got pulled off it and put on two 'other' cars. Needless to say I drove the 93Eurovan parts runner home(I hate that vehicle) and he went home sick today...another tech finished the job but I'm not too thrilled about it.
My bill is just over $400 and 5 hours of labor and I replaced the T-belt, Tensioner and all the relay rollers as well as the serp belt, serp belt idler(blown out and leaking)and the other relay roller...

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
2 Hours with 2 people is reasonable if you have the right tools and experience. I guess 4 hours at the stealer if only one mechanic works alone. However I know guys here in Quebec who have pulled it off in 1.5 hours. Including all rollers and water pump.

davidbru

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I usually alot 8 hours for the "complete" job. I like to do belt, w/p, and clean intake while I have it in my shop. I also will give the engine compartment a good cleaning and give the outside a wash if the weather is right.

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
As long as it takes to do it right. 6 to 8 hrs. for me with all rollers, bolts, water pump and serpentine belt. I wouldn't be looking for speed but accuracy. If a mistake is made major engine damage will occur.