Psi Power Box

bobby151

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI, 1997 Jetta TDI (for sale )
He guys, I just got a PSI Power Box for my 2000 Jetta TDI.It came off 2000 Golf. Anyways the conections all look like the will go into the pump harness but there is a single wire separet from the harness and I was wondering if it was ground or power.If anyone is fimilier with these boxes and can help me out that would be awsome.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
yes that the ground wire you need to find a bundle of wires in a thick plasctic cover going into the airbox cut the cover open to reveal the wires there should be a purple and white striped one cut that to reveal the wire and just connect the two just tape them round for the time being to check it works then do it properly . thats what mine was wired to anyway it might be the maf sensor wire

JoeHafner

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2014
bobby151 said:
He guys, I just got a PSI Power Box for my 2000 Jetta TDI.It came off 2000 Golf. Anyways the conections all look like the will go into the pump harness but there is a single wire separet from the harness and I was wondering if it was ground or power.If anyone is fimilier with these boxes and can help me out that would be awsome.

Connect it to #5 wire on the connector to the Mass airflow sensor. Check instructions here: http://www.dieseltuning.ca/installation/AGR Z4 10 PIN INSTALL.pdf

bobby151

TDI
I will try on the weekend.I was just confused because that wire had a ring end on it.I got no instructions with this box.I just had hope it would work on my car.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Danger!

The PSI power box should only have one connector for the pump. Click on the PSI Power Box link in my signature for info on their web site. They are really good with customer support.

bobby151

TDI
Narf

I clicked on your link and then on were you bought yours and mine is the same model as yours PB200002 POWER BOX BY PSI MOTORSPORT.THERE IS 5 WIRES COMMING OUT OF THE UNIT IT SELF. FOUR OF THEM CONSISTS OF THE PUMP HARNES AND ONE WHICH IS GREY COMES OUT AND SOMONE HAS PUT A RING TYPE CONECTOR ON IT.THE OTHER FOUR WIRES ARE ORANGE, BLACK, WHITE,& RED. SAME FOUR WIRES COME OUT AT THE TOP OF THE HARNES NEAR THE PUMP PLUG AND IT IS THE SAME FOUR COLOURS.LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.THANKS

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I don't know why they did that, all the wires should go to the pump harness. All my wires are black and they all go into a special locking connector on the box itself. Do you have the large locking connector on the box? If so, maybe you can check which wire has been "cut" and I can tell you where mine goes if that helps?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
bluesmoker said:
this should help

the grey wire apparently is for a ground to chassis

http://www.dieselperformance.com/productManual/1054105_VW_98-03_8_10_Pin.pdf
That is interesting!

If I read that correctly you ground that wire to "turn off" the box... so you could have a switch in the cabin to do that. Neat... (running out side to see if I have that wire tucked up inside the mine!)

edit: nope, no loose gray wire on mine, just five black wires. That .pdf looks like the one I originally got with mine. It is correct about the first 40 seconds... the processor is booting its program or something. Normally I would not be pushing the car within the first 40 seconds but if it is already warm you can really feel it kick if you are accelerating heavily. I took the cover off mine once and noticed there were two LED lights in there, one green, one red, the green one came on as soon as the ignition was turned on, the red one came on about 40 seconds later indicating the box had become "active" I guess. There is also a small brass adjustment screw in there but I have never touched it.

Last edited:

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
the adjustment screw is to turn it up and down the resistor or fuel delivery whatever you wnat to call it . basically go out and keep turning it up until you can see a light puff of smoke at w.o.t then you know youre getting there

bobby151

TDI
Thanks for all the help guys.I took Narf's advice last night and emailed PSI Power Box got the same info you guys told me.Thanks again and I will let you guys now how it works.Now if I can just figure out why the car started studering when comming to a stop but only when you aply the brake and then when you let off the brake it idels fine.Any ideas? Started to do it last night after hard accelaration and it does not do it all the time.I would like to figure this out before the box.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
The shuddering could be the injected quantity at idle, details are in the TDI FAQ (link at the top of this web page). I agree, good idea to get everything well sorted before making a change.

I used some velcro type stuff and I put mine on the air box on the rear side (the side where the MAF connector is) to stay nice and cool, I routed the wire towards the drivers side, around the air box, between the air box and the battery box, then zip tied to the battery positive cable, then the injection pump plug is only a few inches away. I zip tied everything away from anything hot.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
my tunning box yoused to shudder when comming to a stop its usually overfueling slightly but tbh even when i turned it down it still did it its just something you put up with the boxes as long as your not really smokin then its not something to worry about, ever since i swapped mine for a chip it never shuddered once

bobby151

TDI
Narf

I will give you some history. On Wed we put a new timing belt on with all the tensioners and water pump.(Work done by VW/Audi Mechanic) Going home car was runing awsome.Next morning going to work still working real good.At this point I still have not really played with the car yet.Then I went and filled up with Sunoco Gold and some cleaner with octane boost.Comming out of Sunoco I acelerated hard through the gears.Came to the next stop light and that is when the shudder started.It is not all the time but it only happens when you start appling the brakes to come to a stop.Once the car is stoped idel levels out and fine.Even going back & forth in my drivway I can get it to do it.Somone said it might be air from when we did the belt but....Let me know what you think.Thanks

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
bobby151 said:
I will give you some history. On Wed we put a new timing belt on with all the tensioners and water pump.(Work done by VW/Audi Mechanic) Going home car was runing awsome.Next morning going to work still working real good.At this point I still have not really played with the car yet.Then I went and filled up with Sunoco Gold and some cleaner with octane boost.Comming out of Sunoco I acelerated hard through the gears.Came to the next stop light and that is when the shudder started.It is not all the time but it only happens when you start appling the brakes to come to a stop.Once the car is stoped idel levels out and fine.Even going back & forth in my drivway I can get it to do it.Somone said it might be air from when we did the belt but....Let me know what you think.Thanks

You said OCTANE BOOST, I hope you meant CETANE. Sound like your timing maybe a little off and IQ is out of whack. I'd go back to mechanic and have them check the timing with VCDS.

bobby151

TDI
Psi Power Box Installed

I put the box in and it works amazing. Woke the car right up.Still have that shudder though.I looked at the fuel line and there is bubbles in it.Was told it will come out of it and there is just some air in the filter.Anyone had this problem.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
bobby151 said:
I put the box in and it works amazing. Woke the car right up.Still have that shudder though.I looked at the fuel line and there is bubbles in it.Was told it will come out of it and there is just some air in the filter.Anyone had this problem.
try removing the fuel filter and refilling it with diesel, then drain out the water valve at the bottom (if so equipped)

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I would check:
For shudder:
- Injected quantity at idle "slow down shudder problem" as documented in the TDIFAQ
For Bubbles in fuel line, tiny ones are normal, but:
- When was the fuel filter last changed? It should be changed every 20,000 miles
- Maybe your fuel sender check valve is clogged, click "fuel sender drilled" in my signature.

Anyway, it is probably not a big deal, mine shuddered for years before I found out that you can simply raise IQ at idle to fix it.

bobby151

TDI
When my buddy gets back we will have to scan it again and check it with VAG-com and I will have him check the IQ peramiters.I just don't understand why the would change in a day.Everything was fine acording to VAG-com on Wed.Cross my fingers and hope it is easy,In the mean time I will keep playin with it.Thanks Guys

Marcus Wilson

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI 97
Also unsure of wiring for IP powerbox

Hi everybody.

I am in the process of fitting a Psi Motorsport IP powerbox to my 2003 polo pd100. I've connected up the harness to the fuel pump, and the positive/negative wires to the battery, but there are two extra wires - one long grey, and one short purple? Can anybody tell me what these are for on the pd engine? I don't have instructions as its a second hand unit.

Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jakobicev

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ALH 2002
Hmm,i dont have a PD engine but i have a same problem.I also bought a used tuning box without instuctions or knowing the manufacturer.It came with 8 pin conectors (had only 7 wires???)and with a adjustment screw to turn it up and down.
It had 4 wires going to the box (blue,red,,black and grey).I made around 80 000 km with it and i had no problems.
As i bought me a new ride with a ALH engine that has a 10 pin conector to the pump.
Here is a pic of a old one:

I simply cutted off and mooved it in the same positions on a 10 pin conector and my car is going great (spins 225 wide tires in whole 2.nd gear).

My confusion comes again since a buddy of mine has bought some simmilar thing with 8 pin conector and now he wants to fitt this ina new Beetle but he has only 2 wires going to number 2 and 3 into a conector harness.
The pic:

Since it has only 2 wires i suspect that he bought a very expencive (100 euro) evry mod in a fancy box.

Now im not shure whot tipe do i own,my conection is between numbers 2 and 3 and also between 4 and 5 in the harness.
I eager to know for whot that conection(4 and 5) stands for so if any one can help me i would be very thankful.I don want to open my box,i could break something

So,any help or a link for me and a Marcus from the post above?