rotella t6 5w-40.

bobs jetta

TDI
2006 jetta
Anybody use rotella t6 5w-40 on a 06 jetta tdi pd. I am a newbie with a new to me 06 jetta tdi. 174k,5sp..i found out old owners shop was putting a 5W-30 synthetic. I changed oil with the rotella,figuring it was right weight and full syn and torbo diesel rated. Plus its very avl... I also put in powerservice white bottle in fuel for anti gel.car runs fantastic,getting me 48 mpg untill last weeks deep freeze,now i got 37mpg. No engine noise just a rattle at idle that goes away when i depress clutch. Starting right up at 8f was lowest so far. It didnt like that it started right up but clanked and clicked for a moment.. Thank you for any ideas.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you search on 505.01 you'll probably find lots of discussion about it. Not sure it's certified as 505.01 but a lot of PD owners run it and say it's good.

I use it, it's easy to find and competitively priced.

Steve

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I've read that many people use Rotella T6 5w40 on their ALH/BEW engines. It's common here.

I am wondering about using 0w40 on BEW engines...since we use 5w40 currently, I am wondering if 0w40 would be still fine. Looking to only use it during cold winter months.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Rotella T6 has NO VW certifications - that said - if you're out of warranty - you can use anything you want. Rotella is good mobile One Turbo Diesel Truck is good, and there are lots of others as well. I've use Rotella on my ALH, no issues. Currently using a VW 505.00 / 505.01 (whatever my trusted mechanic is using for my model year / model).

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Anybody use rotella t6 5w-40 on a 06 jetta tdi pd. I am a newbie with a new to me 06 jetta tdi. 174k,5sp..i found out old owners shop was putting a 5W-30 synthetic. I changed oil with the rotella,figuring it was right weight and full syn and torbo diesel rated. Plus its very avl... I also put in powerservice white bottle in fuel for anti gel.car runs fantastic,getting me 48 mpg untill last weeks deep freeze,now i got 37mpg. No engine noise just a rattle at idle that goes away when i depress clutch. Starting right up at 8f was lowest so far. It didnt like that it started right up but clanked and clicked for a moment.. Thank you for any ideas.

That oil is fine for your engine.

Bill

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If this engine has 5W-30 oil history, it would probably be a good idea to check the cam to make sure the lobes aren't going flat...

rams2500

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I've been running it in my 06 tdi for 40,000 miles. 122000 on car. Local mechanic says it calls for 5w30 but 5w40 is what I believe in.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
I've been using T6 for the past 50,000 miles in my 04 Jetta TDI. I know have 150,000+ miles on it. I just did an oil analysis with Terry Dyson and the results came back GREAT using the T6 - VERY low wear, etc...

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I've been using it for the past couple of years in my PD. Getting great results from the oil analysis which I do just about every 10K. My Iron is running between 17 and 20ppm. Before the T6 and after the warranty period I ran the Schaeffer's S9000 5W-40 which is also a CJ-4 oil like the T6. The Schaeffers is similar to the T6 but has molybdenum in it which still shows up long after I switched to T6. During the warranty period I ran Castrol and Total 505.01 5W-30 varieties and switched due to cam failure concerns.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I think that if you get a well known brand of 505.01 oil (such as Pentosin HP2 or what I use Castrol Turbo Diesel Edge) you will do well. I too have heard great things about T6. I know someone in town who uses this in his BHW Passat and so far good things. The real key is 5w40. I think rams2500's mechanic who says 5w30 is very full of it. If you look at the manual, vw themselves indicate a 5w40 505.01 oil. Yes there are 5w30 505.01 oils, but members here who have used that stuff have the 'fun' of eventually getting to replace their cams.

MateoCicoria

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MkIV Jetta
I run T6 religiously in my ALH and R6 motorcycle; I buy it by the pail now. That's cool to hear it runs good in a PD even without the vaunted 505.01 certification. It's great stuff!

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Back when I first got my 06 Jetta TDI Castrol had a 5W-40 505.01 oil available.

The T6 is just a good all round HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil).

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
In my 2004 Jetta TDI I used only 505.01 oils until 80,000 miles. Then I switched to Mobil 1 TDT and Rotella T6 until 100,000 miles. I had Terry Dyson do an oil analysis and he said everything looked very good except for a slight increase in blow by soot from the piston rings. Then I used only Shell Rotella T6 until 150,000 miles and I had Terry do another oil analysis. He again said that everything looked very good except again a slight increase in blow by from the piston rings. Absolutely no engine metal wear, etc...

Elliot

TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 Red std 5 spd, Jetta Wagon 2009 Blk DSG
I have used Rotella T6 for 130K miles in my 2003 Jetta TDI and car still runs perfectly with no engine issues ever. Had intake cleaned at 80,000 along with timing belt change.
and a glow plug problem once and thats it for the drive train in 13 years of ownership
We won't talk about other issues.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
420,000km on T-6 changing out every 20,000km. Just had valve cover off doing a timing belt. Cam and lifters all like new. Checked turbo and it's still nice and tight.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I ran T6 for several years/200k km on my BRM. It's a very good oil. I eventually had cam wear however I think this is inevitable regardless of the oil you use. I now use Liqui-Moly High Tech with a couple oz of ZDDPlus and 10k km intervals with Frank's cam and modded bearings but honestly, I think the T6 is nearly as good.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Ive used it in all of my motorcycles...my alh...and now my dpf deleted jsw. I love it. I just jumped on the Mobil delvac deal, however. Excited to give that a try.

stamar

TDI
2005 jetta tdi gls
i am doing my first oild change and using t6.

20 bucks at walmart

mine came with 2 quarts of castrol 5 30 syntec or whatever they call it. so that will be the extra amount i need.

stamar

TDI
2005 jetta tdi gls
my 2005 has 201 k miles.

so it has all the paperwork and it shows syntthetic oild changes. but other than the dealer the previousl owner took it to one shop and i can assume they used castrol 5 30 its whole life.

well i keep reading about it and all signs show that t6 is better and its sure a lot cheaper. my choices are the same as yours using t6 and mobil tdt and this is supposedly better for cheaper.

farnhamassoc

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 09 TDI SPORTWAGEN 2011 Audi a3 TDI. VW caddy turbo diesel... Various vw split window busses
Here is where I think people go wrong. I am sure the lubrication of the t6 is adequate. but the tdi turbo is desinged to leak slightly into the exhaust as part of the turbo lube. I think the t6 doesnt burn as clean as the Penotsin, motul or Total german oils. So you may find your egr passages plugging up faster. I have 220k miles on my pumpe duce and no egr issues. Also for warranty it is not specified.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
It's been the only oil my 03' Jetta has ever used. Now has 230k miles

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Great oil. Honestly, pretty much any 5w-40 will work just swell.

mma2021

TDI
Here is where I think people go wrong. I am sure the lubrication of the t6 is adequate. but the tdi turbo is desinged to leak slightly into the exhaust as part of the turbo lube. I think the t6 doesnt burn as clean as the Penotsin, motul or Total german oils. So you may find your egr passages plugging up faster. I have 220k miles on my pumpe duce and no egr issues. Also for warranty it is not specified.
I have a Pumpe Duce (05 Passat Euro spec) I need to do an oil change on. So you had no issues using the T-6 on yours?

mma2021

TDI
So I was able to find the 505 type oil which did the job! They had a separate section for them which I apparently overlooked the last time I was there. It was slightly more expensive but certainly the right type which this Passat requires. Thanks, guys!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
but the TDI turbo is designed to leak slightly into the exhaust as part of the turbo lube.
Where did you get this idea? Turbos shouldn't leak at all. There's oil present in the intercooler piping, but that's from the crank case ventilation.