01 Dangerous Handling- Need Ideas Please

tdiblackout

TDI
2001 Jetta Auto>5spd
Been a while since I checked in so I'll give a quick update and get to the issue.
The replacement trans has been flawless, couldn't be happier.
Finally fixed a valve cover gasket and now my car is not leaving oil puddles everywhere!
Recently replaced my Raxles at no cost (this is why I bought from them). Put in new ball joints, brakes, etc..

The problem: The car feels like it wants to tip over with any turn of the wheel at speed. It feels very top heavy sort of. Squirly and loose. I thought the shocks/struts were gone, but shop says no. I asked them to search suspension for loose/broken stuff,...nothing. Car has new A arms, ball joints. Koni yellows are getting a little long in the tooth?
Could it be alignment? I just had it done and it still feels weird.
Tires? Like if I was running them flat and they give no side to side resistance. But they aren't low.

I feels like the rear, but hard to say. If the shocks had no more expansion resistance, I think this is what is would feel like.

Any ideas?

tdiblackout

TDI
2001 Jetta Auto>5spd
They are on the list of never replaced. At 260k maybe they need to be, thanks.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Try pushing your car sideways right above the rear tires. If the car moves more than normal tire flex, it's almost certainly the beam bushings.

alfacanuck

TDI
2004 TDI Sport
+1 on the rear bushings, they can get very soft. If nothing work with front susp. then most likely suspect. If you can borrow the kit to replace its not a bad job, just respect the orientation when they go back in.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You ordered Cupra Rs, yes?

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
The car I just bought has the same feel. Like when you drive on a metal grate bridge. Shop told me rear axle beam was rusted and should be replaced as well as control arms.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Maybe it is rusted, but you can oil it with preservative sprays and replace the rear bushings. And find a shop you can trust. Or better, learn to do your own wrenching.

Cheers!

PH

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depends on the extent of the rust. If it's a safety issue I'd look to go by their recommendation. Broken suspension bits due to rusting out aren't all that uncommon (seems to happen quite a bit with springs).

Superficial rust ain't an issue, in which case do as PH suggests (and a second opinion on more costly repairs is always a good idea as well).

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
My car has no body roll at all to speak of: Koni Yellow, 1 weight up on springs, full suspension refresh including rear axle bushings.

I was on my home and a car zipped into my lane out of an alley, I stomped it and did a tight zig zag to avoid hitting the car coming out of the alley and the parked car on the other side: it was like the car was on rails.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I might ask if this came on all of a sudden, gradually or is the car a recent acquisition.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You might want to take it in for an alignment. Thinking that perhaps you're experiencing over-steer: the rear is being too active/sensitive to steering (this would be, I'd think, also a symptom of/from bad rear axle bushings).