12th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2019 - the FINAL Winterfest!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Quick update on the hotel's room block: our cutoff date (last day to book) is December 17th. There are currently 9 rooms in our block and I believe 3 are spoken for. Please make your hotel arrangements soon so that I can add rooms if necessary. The longer we wait, the less availability there will be.

Also, we're sharing the hotel with the hockey kids again this year. We're on the private floor, but I anticipate the hotel selling out sometime in December.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I am booked and ready to go!

:)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
QUESTIONAIRE & EVENT REGISTRATION:
I'm planning on posting my usual survey form to track attendance, but this won't be done until the event schedule is finalized with accurate information on what we'll be doing. I'll post updates as they become available and a survey in mid-November.

For now, please post your interest in this thread and provide feedback on some activities that you'd like to see at the final Winterfest.
It's just about mid-December and still no survey in sight. You already know I'm interested in the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant - Model T museum in factory building where they were assembled. ;)

Hear anything from anyone else on what they would like to do Saturday after lunch?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant is the way we should go this year. I'll update the first post and get to work on a survey. :)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Sunday, January 20th:
10:00am - 11:00am: Breakfast @ The Bomber (can't get enough!)
Got a question for everyone who plans to do the Sunday breakfast at the Bomber. Would 9am work for you people? Asking as I am an early riser but waiting around a few hours until 10am is too long. Waiting until 9am is doable for me though.

Ran this past Lawson first - he said the Bomber would be less crowded at 9am on Sunday and I could toss this out there to see what you people think of the earlier time.

Last year most everyone went to their rooms about 10:00-10:30pm on Saturday so it seemed like staying up past midnight wasn't the thing to do. I would've stayed for breakfast on Sunday last time if it were at 9am, not 10am. Please chime in with what time works best for you in case 9am is good for the majority.

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
I'm going to try to make it this year--been a couple of years!
Is there a group buy on the tickets?
Saturday Bomber for me. Not on Sunday, though.
JohnD

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Is there a group buy on the tickets?
JohnD
Last year everyone was responsible for purchasing their own ticket which should be the case again this time.

Hoping you can come as you weren't able to make Kirk's GTG in October. Be good to see you again! - Robert

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thought there would be more activity by now in this thread as we have less than three weeks to go. Other than Stinkyfingers nobody has commented on possibility doing a 9am Sunday breakfast for those of us staying Saturday night. Not a problem for me as I either hit the road early or stick around if we do a 9am Sunday breakfast...

Also see we still have no survey up. :eek: Know Lawson is too busy driving the new Tesla and seeking out charging spots these days. :p ;) And yes, I know he is at the HO5G GTG tomorrow (1-1-19) so he's still depleting electrons at a rapid rate! :cool:

Just having a little fun with you Lawson! We are all busy with life. Hopefully when you return home we'll get this thread cranked back up...

Happy New Year everyone! :)

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Thought there would be more activity by now in this thread as we have less than three weeks to go. Other than Stinkyfingers nobody has commented on possibility doing a 9am Sunday breakfast for those of us staying Saturday night. Not a problem for me as I either hit the road early or stick around if we do a 9am Sunday breakfast...

Also see we still have no survey up. :eek: Know Lawson is too busy driving the new Tesla and seeking out charging spots these days. :p ;) And yes, I know he is at the HO5G GTG tomorrow (1-1-19) so he's still depleting electrons at a rapid rate! :cool:

Just having a little fun with you Lawson! We are all busy with life. Hopefully when you return home we'll get this thread cranked back up...

Happy New Year everyone! :)
Sorry, we're 1/2 way home by 9 am..

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sorry I've been away for so long ... two full weeks of traveling didn't leave me with very much free time.

I'll update the attendance list and get to work on that survey.

The hotel just informed me that they are renovating the entire 8th floor, so we'll be on the 7th floor, instead.

It's looking like a pretty reasonable turnout this year even though a few regulars won't be able to make it. :cool:

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Filled out the survey. While interested in Sunday breakfast will only do it if it starts at 9am as 10am is too late for me given there are no other plans listed for that day.

June is not good for doing this event on an annual basis - have too many other things going on during summer. Really would like consideration given to keeping this a Winterfest tradition by attending the annual Chicago Auto Show which is held every February. There also is plenty to see and do in Chicago - much more so than Detroit!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Since there was no real response regarding my question about having Sunday breakfast at 9am instead of 10am (I do thank the two of you who did reply but will not be around on Sunday!) I expect this can be determined at the Saturday dinner.

Hard to believe there is just over a week to go for this GTG!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Since there was no real response regarding my question about having Sunday breakfast at 9am instead of 10am (I do thank the two of you who did reply but will not be around on Sunday!) I expect this can be determined at the Saturday dinner.

Hard to believe there is just over a week to go for this GTG!
I'm fine with breakfast at 9:00 AM on Sunday. It'll be easier to get a table, too, as Sundays are very busy at The Bomber.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm starting to tally survey responses. So far only 7 out of 17 people have responded (indicated by a ✓ next to your name). Please take a moment to fill out the attendance form.

Thanks!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I just finished it :)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'm fine with breakfast at 9:00 AM on Sunday. It'll be easier to get a table, too, as Sundays are very busy at The Bomber.
Thanks for the time adjustment - I will stick around for Sunday breakfast then! :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Here's an updated list of people who have responded to the attendance survey:

VeeDubTDI ✓
compu_85 ✓
251 ✓
Matt-98AHU ✓
deegingerkid
bhtooefr ✓
tomo366 (maybe) ✓
relumalutan
higgledy
higgledy jr.
jasonTDI
PakProtector
MonsterTDI09 ✓
MonsterDog (maybe) ✓
BKmetz ✓
Stinkyfingers
Sprocket ✓
Sprockette ✓

If your name doesn't have a check mark next to it, please take a moment to fill out the survey so we know how many people to expect for the various activities. There's a link at the end of the first post in this thread.

Thanks!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
For the 2nd year is I will not be able to come......Was diagnosed last Friday with Arthritis in both knees very hard walking right now......Have fun all

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sorry you won't be able to make it, Tom. Time to get your Maryland green card. ;)

The weather is looking interesting for the weekend. Folks traveling to Detroit from the east coast on Friday should miss the snow. Sunday will have some snow on the way back home, but Monday is clear and very cold. We're heading back home on Monday because we're visiting an ailing grandmother in Indiana on Sunday.