Fixing Headliner in a 96 Passat??

progolfer_20

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
My headliner is drooping down pretty bad in my 96 Passat and I want to remove the cloth, remove the cardboard and scrape the old glue off of the cardboard then use some 3M Spray glue for upholstry and reattach the fabric to cardboard. I just cant figure out how to remove the cardboard headliner, how do you do it?

Travis

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Headliner repair

I am in the same boat on my '97 Passat TDI. I just bought headliner material at Jo-Ann's fabrics, but have been too busy replacing my turbo and oil and water pumps, etc. to get to it. My guess is the cardboard stays in place and you put the headliner in as is. It is too big I would guess to pull it out of the trunk. I will wish us both good luck!

beetle1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 mini cooper s ,2014 ram 2500 6.7,64 galaxies,
the headliner comes out the front pass. side of the car. all the trim has to come out first then the cardboard. local shop charges about $80to$120 to do the whole thing

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Some jobs arent worth doing yourself. Find an upholstery shop and let them do it all. I had 2 headliners done 2 years ago, and both are coming unglued. Both are going back to the guy who did it and they are going to do it again for free.

steve_s

Veteran Member
When beetle1963 says "all the trim has to come out first" he isn't kidding. been there done that. Once the trim around all 4 doors, the rear pillars, lights/switches/sunroof control are out, the headliner is a piece of cake.. Think about doing your rear struts while you're in this deep; much of the same rear trim has to come out for the struts!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
beetle1963 said:
the headliner comes out the front pass. side of the car.
Please post pictures of this "suicide" door conversion on your B4.:rolleyes:

trhaverstock

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Windsor Blue
Which fabric brand and color though???

I have the same problem on my 96 Passat and want to do this. I read up on some past threads and think I understand how to do it (it looks like a pain) but want to order a fabric color that most closely matches the stock so I don't have to redo the sunroof. Can anyone post where they got theirs and the color name if it was darn near an exact match? I have the beige interior. -T

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Having pulled my headliner out, removed the adhesive and re-attached using a good 3M adhesive (good = $17/can) only to have the bugger fall down within 3 weeks, I can tell you that I will have the local auto upholstery shop do it for me next month. If I can make an appointment in time.

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
Also, when you need a windshield is a good time to drop the headliner out. I have a friend that runs a body shop so he can cut the glass out and let me pull the headliner, then put the glass in.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
I know it sounds hoky but, I got headliner spray glue and then bought 1-inch wide x 48 in aluminum "spars". I cut them to span the headliner in three - four places, painted them the same grey color as my headliner. SO far it has held up, that's all I want. If I could a shop to do entire job for 120 I'd jump on it!Q