11th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2018 - January 20 (aka WINTERFEST)

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Thanks! Passat still exists, it is just apart right now. I lost my daily Mk6 Golf to an accident just before Christmas. I am not sure I am prepared to reveal what I got yet. Don't want to jinx anything.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Thanks! Passat still exists, it is just apart right now. I lost my daily Mk6 Golf to an accident just before Christmas. I am not sure I am prepared to reveal what I got yet. Don't want to jinx anything.
M:D

Guess I’ll come too then.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I liked the Friday night restaurant a lot. It was also nice that people could get up and move away from Tomo. :D:p

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Okay Lawson,

I just booked a room. Finally planning to make it this year!

Been saying I'm going to make it out every year for the last 4-5 years, and it never works out. Anyways, Jordan (the young guy that helps me in the shop), and I will be there Friday night and Saturday, probably leaving after Autoshow as we both have stuff going on back home Saturday night.

Kirk

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Seems like things should be finalized on the new car. My salesman sent me this video today. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEKfdLczaoQ
Did you say you needed someone to help you drive it? I could ditch the Peters in a heartbeat. :D

I think the A7 is the best looking car ever--with the possible exception of the new A5 liftback (which looks a lot like the A7). Congrats! I drove a 2015 TDI A7 a few years ago as a Best Buddies volunteer. It. Is. Fantastic.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Okay Lawson,

I just booked a room. Finally planning to make it this year!

Been saying I'm going to make it out every year for the last 4-5 years, and it never works out. Anyways, Jordan (the young guy that helps me in the shop), and I will be there Friday night and Saturday, probably leaving after Autoshow as we both have stuff going on back home Saturday night.

Kirk
Wow Kirk! That’s excellent news! I’m glad you and Jordan will be able to make it this year. I think you’ll enjoy yourselves. :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I have a few notes about timing and logistics on Saturday the 20th...

There will be a lot of us this year and it is difficult and impractical to travel as one large group. Make notes of the various meeting times and locations, as plan to meet up with the group at the next event if you get separated. Be sure to bring a cell phone charger and/or a GPS if you aren’t familiar with the area.

For those of you who are new to the GTG or who haven’t attended in a while, the COBO Center gets absolutely packed by about noon on the first day of the show. Much later than that and it starts to get difficult to navigate the crowds and see the cars. Be sure to prioritize the vehicles and manufacturers that you’re most interested in seeing and visit them early in the day. We’ll plan on congregating at the Joe Louis statue in the COBO lobby at 12:30 and hit the road for Buddy’s at 12:45.

Because the last tour of the Ford factor starts at 3:00 PM, we need to make sure that we’re there and ready to go by 2:45. Lunch is at Buddy’s Pizza a few blocks away, so getting from one place to the other should be pretty easy. Our reservation for Buddy’s is at 1:15 PM, which should allow for enough time to eat and get to the Ford complex by 2:45. Nonetheless, restaurants can be slow, so please review the menu and decide what you want to eat soon after arrival.

There are no specific plans for the evening after our visit to Ford. Our natural tendency is to congregate in the hotel’s common areas (or the private hospitality suite if we’re granted access) for games, drinks and socializing. All are welcome, even those of you who aren’t staying at the hotel. :)

Questions? Please ask!

PS: I’ve updated a lot of information in the first post.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The Cruise AV project is very interesting! Good on GM for moving forward to this ... Uber and Lyft are going to go nuts over this in the big metro areas. This is definitely at the top of my list of things to look at this year.

Have a good time on the slopes!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Floor plan is up: https://naias.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Floor-Plan-Public.pdf

Volvo and Mitsubishi have been pushed off the show floor. Huh.

No Mazda this year, so we can't ask about the urethra in the CX-5 diesel.

GAC has a bigger booth for their TRUMPCHIS!

Smart got pushed into the Mercedes booth - I mean, they're down to one car left for us, so...

Otherwise, no huge surprises about who's there, I'd say.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I'm in - flying in at 10AM, flying out at 7pm. I'll stay at the show all day. Can't wait to see everyone.

C

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What is the weather looking like in Michigan this weekend? Thinking about driving the Golf instead if the snow isn't too much, but need to swap wheels/tires first. I thought I was going to have time this week to fix a couple things on the wagon, but looks like I won't. The bitter cold weather has us pretty busy here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'll let the locals comment, but coming from New England it looks like we may catch a break. Temps in the 30s, no snow.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Low to mid 30s on Thurs & Fri. Low 40s on Sat & Sun. That can obviously change though ;)

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
NW Indiana / SW Michigan is getting a bit of snow but nothing major. Might get slammed with a band of heavy lake effect snow but hard to predict where that will hit. But that's for right now - not this weekend.

For Ann Arbor Friday looks to be clear, low of 30, high of 35.
Saturday is partly cloudy, low 31, high of 43.
Sunday is chance of rain, low of 39, high of 41.

So we have a bit of a warm up for this weekend - nice! Don't hold me to the above - I'm not a weatherman, merely passing along what I see in the forecast. That said I'm sure anyone coming a distance will be checking the weather conditions expected along their route anyway...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm in - flying in at 10AM, flying out at 7pm. I'll stay at the show all day. Can't wait to see everyone.
C
I guess we'll probably bump into each other at the show. Glad you're going to make it, although only for a short time.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What is the weather looking like in Michigan this weekend? Thinking about driving the Golf instead if the snow isn't too much, but need to swap wheels/tires first. I thought I was going to have time this week to fix a couple things on the wagon, but looks like I won't. The bitter cold weather has us pretty busy here.
The weather models have been going back and forth for the past several days, but it now looks like it will be clear for Friday and Saturday, with the possibility of rain in most of the mid-west on Sunday and Monday. There's the possibility of snow on Sunday and Monday if things change and temperature gets colder.

Noon on Saturday: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018011612/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png

Noon on Sunday: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018011612/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_20.png

Noon on Monday: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018011612/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24.png

(don't mind the way TDIclub abbreviated the links... it stands for analysis ;))

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The weather models have been going back and forth for the past several days, but it now looks like it will be clear for Friday and Saturday, with the possibility of rain in most of the mid-west on Sunday and Monday. There's the possibility of snow on Sunday and Monday if things change and temperature gets colder.

Noon on Saturday: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018011612/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png

Noon on Sunday: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018011612/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_20.png

Noon on Monday: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018011612/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24.png

(don't mind the way TDIclub abbreviated the links... it stands for analysis ;))
I learned to never click on links that have "anal" in them...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: