AdBlue Heater Warranty Extended to 120,000 Miles

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
VW, this is a load of crap

Gee, how many more known issues are going to land us an "extended warranty"? This is total BS. First it's the turbo, now the adblue heater. Why fix anything. Just tack on a few extra miles to the warranty and call it a day. Having owned a couple of gas burner VW's of past knew better then drive the car off the lot w/o an extended warranty.

Last edited:

p5150

TDI
2013 Passat SEL, 2006 Jetta (Sold)
Rembursement Claim

Here is a copy of the text in the correspondence I just sent back to VW about my issue.

To Who It May Concern,

I have received the initial refusal to provide reimbursement under the AdBlue heater warranty extension dated January 3, 2017. The refusal was based on an arbitrary requirement for additional items that were not described or identified in the warranty extension notification letter, Warranty Extension Reimbursement Request Form, or during multiple phone calls with your customer service center before I generated and sent the request. Volkswagen’s refusal to provide reimbursement is improper and contains ex post facto justifications for denial of my claim which are inappropriate.

SEQUENCE OF EVENTS:

In February of 2016 (approx. 53000 mi), the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) was illuminated and prompted me to diagnose the car. I ran the diagnosis with my Windows-based VAG/VAS Emulator and discovered a “9655 – Control Circuit for Reductant Tank Heating” code P202A at 53326 mi.

My impression was that this issue would be covered under warranty for the emissions system, so I went to XXX Volkswagen in XXXXXX, XX, and requested service to fix the problem. I was told that the problem was not covered under the warranty. The quote for repair was well over $1,000. I decided to change the component myself, so I ordered a repair kit (PN 561-198-970-A).

As a formerly-certified ASE mechanic and currently-certified FAA Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, I was (and still am) professionally qualified and capable of performing this simple repair. The component was changed, and subsequent system scans showed that the fault was corrected.

In October of 2016, I received the official notification of the warranty extension and option for reimbursement. I carefully reviewed the requirements for reimbursement which are listed on the Warranty Extension Reimbursement Request Form and the notification letter (Attachments 1 & 2). I made an initial call to your customer service center at 800-893-5928, discussed my intent to process a claim, and asked for any specific instructions that differed from, or were not included on, the official form. Even though was seeking reimbursement for only the cost of the part (no labor), my concern was that there would be some propensity to deny my claim because I did the work myself. I prepared the documents as outlined per the written notifications and verbal guidance of the customer service representative. Prior to sending the reimbursement request package, I called the customer service center again and verbally went through all of the documents I had prepared. They verified that there were no discrepancies, so the documents were sent.

At no time prior to filing this initial claim for reimbursement was there conveyance (verbal or written) of any need to provide a diagnosis that the part’s failure was due to defect or to include the mileage of the vehicle. In early January, I received the response from VW Customer CARE (Attachment 4) levying these requirements.

The ex post facto requirement for this information reeks of an attempt by bean counters to obfuscate by asking for things that are both unnecessary and difficult to produce for many people. It does not present a positive image or generate goodwill and seems to be intentional.

CONCLUSION:

My local Volkswagen dealership refused to fix the car when it was malfunctioning because they claimed it wasn’t covered under warranty at the time. The warranty was extended after the repairs were completed and I am eligible for reimbursement for qualified expenses (Attachments 1, 2, and 3). Now Volkswagen is refusing to honor my request for reimbursement of reasonable expenses incurred for this issue. Denial for reimbursement is based on the fact that there was a failure to submit a “diagnosis showing that the part’s failure was due to defect”, and that the “vehicle’s mileage was not included to show that the repair was within the parameters of the warranty extension” (Attachment 4).

I have combed through the backup files of my old computer and found a vehicle diagnosis report displaying the fault code and mileage (Attachment 5). I sincerely hope this is enough to process my claim. Not including the time it took to generate this response, I have spent 8 hours on this issue.

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
No sign of recall for my 2013 per lookup

I just used my vin to check on the VW recall site and it does not show this as a recall. Does anyone know if the dealer will cover it since it is a 2013 with this exact failure, even though it is not listed is a recall on the VW website for my vin?

Thanks!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I just used my vin to check on the VW recall site and it does not show this as a recall. Does anyone know if the dealer will cover it since it is a 2013 with this exact failure, even though it is not listed is a recall on the VW website for my vin?

Thanks!
There are two clearly different things involved here, and recalls are not being discussed in this thread. It is about one of the extended warranties on the NMS Passat. There are several (I have received notice of three, the turbo, AdBlue heater, and heater core, in that order) and have already invoked the heater core extended warranty.
A recall is where there is some defective or presumptively unsafe thing they need to replace or change. These are extended warranties, and are not invoked until the part or etc. fails.

Last edited:

jaredaggie

TDI
Understood. I was under the impression they were one and the same. I will take mine in tomorrow. So glad I came upon this. Thx for clarifying.

jaredaggie

TDI
I took the car in yesterday am, I was getting P203B code. They immediately fixed it and the car was ready before lunch. Great service from the dealership and I'm glad VW made this right.

Thanks to OP and other contributors.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
jaredaggie: I know this is the TDIClub, but it would help if you changed your signature to read "Passat TDI, 6MT"...we all know it's a 2.0, what your sig DOESN'T say is that it's a TDI.
Several members here have both gas and TDI...it can get confusing...

gasser

TDI
tdi
Has anyone heard part number 561-198-969 is covered to 120K? This is the Adblue delivery module, or labelled a pump on some websites.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
And our Passat, complete with its Touareg AdBlue heater, went back to Volkswagen yesterday morning. Onward and upward, as it were.

kheflw

TDI
passat
Just adding my comments here. I just talked to VW after not receiving anything from them after submitting for the Adblue Reimbursement.

They sent my check in January to my old address. Never got it. So they are trying to give me a new check.