MPG increase with temperature: 1.4% for every 10ºF

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Just in case anybody cares, the plots in post #3 do update automatically when I update my spreadsheet (plus, the NSA gets a text message from Google). The five tank average reached a new record, but should level off any day now...

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
... plus, the NSA gets a text message from Google ...
It's very handy. If you have a hard-disk crash & lose all your files, or drop your phone into the sea, they will have taken a backup of everything for you.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
corrected tire pressure & updated graphs

I've been driving less lately, so the fuelups are further apart, and the average temperature drops pretty fast for the last two fuelups. I also checked tire pressure: it hadn't dropped much, from 40 psi to about 35 for the lowest tire.
The graphs in post 3 have updated themselves.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Added a temperature versus date chart to post #3.

Temperature is the average of the daily highs and lows for a given tank. I try to average just for the days I have actually driven the car, give or take a day or two. I could use the daily averages from http://forecast.weather.gov/product...RD&product=CF6&format=CI&version=2&glossary=0, or maybe even better the daytime averages. Best would be to have the car measure and average the temperature when it is driven. That would be a nice project, preferably for somebody else...

Ultrasonic

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi
Thanks for the updates.

Out of interest, what is your typical driving like in terms of trip length, city/highway and speed? Just thinking in terms of what your data shows, since presumably short trips and city driving will be more affected by longer warm up times at lower temperatures, whereas increased aero drag will be more of a factor for long highway drives.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I posted it before, but I'm commuting a bit over 40 miles (US) one way, 2/3 of it highway with typical Chicago area cruising speeds of about 75 mph. The average speed for the whole commute is about 40 mph. Every few days add ten minutes of stop-and-go traffic...

Ultrasonic

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi
I think I posted it before, but I'm commuting a bit over 40 miles (US) one way, 2/3 of it highway with typical Chicago area cruising speeds of about 75 mph. The average speed for the whole commute is about 40 mph. Every few days add ten minutes of stop-and-go traffic...
Thanks. You probably posted it elsewhere but it's not in this thread. Guess the aerodynamic effect is the dominant one?

US miles are exactly the same distance as UK miles by the way, it's gallons that are different which makes mpg figures different.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Post 5 updated with new data. Is Spring near?!

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
More plots

New plots: MPG rise and fall plotted by season (in post 5).

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Deviations from linear temperature dependence

Spring/summer 2014 graph started. The rise this spring from 36 to 37 mpg (five tank average) started BEFORE the temperatures went up. Odd.
The top graph shows the data and the best fit (linear) trend line.

The second plot shows the deviations from this trend line, to see whether there is some pattern to the mpg deviations from the temperature-predicted curve.

Difference measured MPG - predicted MPG
(Measured five-tank average minus best fit trendline):

Last edited:

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I've noticed better fuel mileage when the fuel tank is less than 1/3. My gut guess is the fuel warms up quicker with less to recirculate. I noticed that on the same trip that once I top off the tank the mpg decrease. (Instant mpg reading from the ecu)

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Thanks for the graphs Diesl! I'm seeing even great spread for my cold winters, about 20%. 33mpg this cold winter compared to 38-40mpg last fall.

Last edited:

smorgan

TDI
09 JSW
More fuel as the temp goes up. We purchase fuel in lots of 42k gallons a shot (home heating oil, ulsd and nrlm )and it is temperature compensated to 65*f and is amazing gross vs net gallons even when my guys off load to a 3000 gallon truck. With expansion and contraction. That is my opinion.

CMac

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6MT
I see about a 20% change when it's cold, having to scrap the frost off the windows or the snow off the car before I can get going (yes, the engine is idling to warm it up during this process), then the biggest change is on snowy days I end up stopping at every traffic light as the traffic backs up, only going 30-45 mph instead of 60-70 because of icy roads also costs mileage due to the lower gear and having the engine turn many more rev's for every mile driven.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I've noticed better fuel mileage when the fuel tank is less than 1/3. My gut guess is the fuel warms up quicker with less to recirculate. I noticed that on the same trip that once I top off the tank the mpg decrease. (Instant mpg reading from the ecu)
Interesting I have never noticed this trend.

I will be interested to see what my MPG will do as the temp arms up. I averaged 40-41 MPG through a colder then normal winter in northern IL. I have been getting 45-46 MPG over the last few tanks, and high temps have only been 30-50deg. Yeasterday the temp was in the mid 60's and I got over 50MPG to and from work. I like the way this trend is heading!:)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Soon it will be time to remove the turbulator bar.
I think I figured out the step from 36 to 37 mpg: around mid-February I adjusted tire pressure, and overshot a bit, going from about 38 psi to 45 psi. I just checked, it's still at 45 (front 44, rear 45 psi).

I think one can use that to get an idea of the fraction of the total energy spent due to rolling resistance:
Tire pressure went up by 18% (45/38~1.18). That shortens the contact patch by the same amount, and the radial tire deformation (assuming constant contact patch width and vehicle weight) by 40% (1.18^2~1.40). Assuming (to first order) that the energy spent on deforming the tire goes linear with tire deformation, that part of the total energy loss per distance went down 40%. This change corresponds to 1 mpg in 36 mpg, or 2.8%; so the fraction of the total energy loss spent on tire deformation would be 0.028/0.40, or about 7% at 38 psi. At 45 psi, it is still about 4%. That's only part of the rolling resistance, but it's the part one can influence.

The last tank was over 40 mpg; for a while it looked like it might end up over 600 miles, but in the end the MFD range prediction leveled out at about 575 miles.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday I controlled tire pressure, and it had crept up from 45 psi at 10°C to 48 psi at 22°C ambient temp (tires were warm; PV=RT scaling yields 30°C for the tires). I lowered it to 45psi. Today I finished the fifth tank after mounting the turbulator, and removed it.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
turbulator saves about 1.6% (0.6 mpg)

I now have a few tankfulls after removal of the turbulator bar. A cautious estimate yields an average fuel economy of about 38.6 mpg with bar, compared to about 38 mpg for the points just before and after. So that's 1.6%, or about 35 bucks a year for the amount I drive. I think I'd rather not have the slight noise, and not worry about the thing flying off or coming off in the car wash.
Update:
The 1.6% above are from a visual interpolation. Taking the straight averages for three tanks before and three after, and comparing to the tanks in between with the bar, there is no significant difference. If I take the differences between observed consumption and my 'model' with linear temperature and time (!) dependence, then I see a 0.7 mpg = 1.9% improvement. It's really close to being in the noise at the precision with which I can track, and also in the noise as far as potential money savings are concerned.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Temperature effect on fuel mileage is only about 0.6% for every 10°F

Looking at my fuel mileage over the last year and a half, the mileage has been getting better with time, and this effect is larger than the temperature influence on diesel mileage.

The temperature effect is only about 0.6% for every 10°F. It still makes a significant difference (about 1 mpg) between winter and summer here for me, but less than I initially assumed (in the title of the thread).

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Post 48 ('turbulator analysis') and the mpg vs. temperature plots in post 5 have been updated.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, what's that supposed to mean? :)

I think it's actually pretty good for a diesel as well, given my driving speeds and pattern; really not any worse than my 50hp original golf diesel 35 years ago.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Hey, what's that supposed to mean? :)

I think it's actually pretty good for a diesel as well, given my driving speeds and pattern; really not any worse than my 50hp original golf diesel 35 years ago.
Charts show 'gas mileage'. Gas is what goes in [some] lawn equipment and [some] grills. :p

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
don't forget the weight.. When you're not carrying around a full tank of fuel its less weight.. less weight = more MPGs.

On the flip side its not recommended to fill up at completely empty all the time, correct?

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liter

Density of diesel= 900 kg/m³

1 liter = 0.001 cubic meters (volume)

and
Weight= volume×density

weight of 1 gallon of diesel is

= 3.78*900*.001
= 3.402 kg or 7.49 pounds approximately

and if your tank holds 14.5 max = 108.605lbs full tank (approx.)
and if your at 1/2 tank 7.25*7.49 = 54.3025lbs

Last edited:

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
thank god I live in Texas.

I see 85F temperature at 5 in the morning. lol.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Hmm... I seem to have dropped mpgs (3-4mpg down) since it got into the high 90's to 100's here in the south. Yet I drive about the same. Can something be wrong? It just seems too much.