1983 Toyota 4x4 AHU Swap

dh13

TDI
1983 Toyota 4x4 AHU, 1994 Cummins, 1991 Jetta TD
Disclaimer: My first few posts will be copies from a build thread on another site.
Here is some information about what I am doing. The truck is a 1983 Toyota pickup. The engine is a AHU from a 1998 Jetta. Currently I am going to be running this truck as an M-TDI using a Land Rover 300 TDI pump. I am using an intercooler from a Volvo, as well as the radiator (both fit nicely in the Toyota). For the time being I will be using the stock K03 turbo. The truck has a w56 5 speed transmission with dual cases. The rear axle will have a locker when I am done. Here are some shots from when I started the project.
Its first bath in 2 or so years.

Old engine pulled, ready for the new power plant

Fitting the adapter plate

First test fit. As I imagined, I am going to have to remount the transmission because it is too far back. But as you can see this engine is way smaller than the 22r. I will have no problem fitting an intercooler and all the needed stuff in this engine bay.

More on the next post

dh13

TDI
Well haven't got a whole lot done, but I have been doing a little cutting.

My plan is to have motor mounts built by the end of the weekend, along with possibly the transmission and duals mounted up, as long as I am able to get the transmission and duals from the two guys that I am buying them from. I ordered some puck style motor mounts and a full set of spring bushings so that I can install the new front springs that I had laying around. I am not going to lift the truck much or at all really, but currently the stock springs that are on the truck have sagged out like the majority of first gens. that I have seen and just want the truck to sit level.

I cut the stock mounts off the frame due to the fact that they were too far forward for this engine, along with the fact that I am opting to build from stage one instead of working around something meant for a completely different setup.

Furthermore, I decided to go with the w56 5 speed over the L series that was in the truck, due to the engine-firewall interference. The L series is 20.875 inches long, while the w56 is 25.5 inches in length. This means that I will effectively gain the needed firewall clearance without the need to do any modifications to the transfer case crossmemeber. One other advantage is that this extra length will allow me to route the exhaust from the passenger side, between the firewall and the back of the engine, out to the drivers side like the factory Toyota exhaust.

Well I guess that is enough rambling for now, here are some pictures.

I forgot to take my camera out in the shop last night so I do have a little bit more progress, although I do not have any pictures of it right now.

Once I have the transmission and the duals in my hands and get the motor mounts built, I should be moving a little faster on this.

dh13

TDI
Once again i didn't get much done. I did however find myself a rebuilt w56, dual cases, hy-steer, IFS box and a detroit all in one shot. I had to drive to a town that I didn't even know existed, but that isn't an issue for me.

This is how all the parts came

First thing to come out

The only thing that it did not come with is a dual case crossmember. I am going to order one this week along with a front axle rebuild kit and some other misc. parts.

I am going to try to have the motor mounted in the truck by the end of this weekend, although I cannot promise that will happen. So far I have been failing myself on making any actual progress on this thing.

Last edited:

dh13

TDI
Well I finally got a solid weekend to work on this project. My crossmember showed up on Friday, and I was able to get the transmission and cases mounted in the spot where they needed to be. After this was done i got to work building the motor mounts. By the end of the weekend I was able to finish the motor mounts and had the motor sitting in the truck with no hoist!

The passenger side of the 1.9L was great for building a mount off of. The drivers side on the other hand was a little bit of a challenge. After all was said and done I feel good about how they turned out. They feel solid and the engine/transmission/cases seem to line up good.

Here are some pictures

I had to relocate the mounting of the crossmember due to needed the engine to be placed in the engine bay differently than if it was behind a 22r. Not only that I put a w56 in place of the L series that came stock in this truck, meaning the transmission had gained around 5 inches in length. The supplied mount holes in the crossmember positioned the transmission about 4 inches to far forward. I ended up drilling a new set of holes to move the transmission back to where it needed to be. I made some plates so that it would still bolt to the frame in four places, although I do not have pictures of them.

Start of the passenger side mount

Frame side passenger mount

Complete Mount

Start of the drivers mount

Finished passenger mount

Frame mounting points

Underneath shot. I will be adding hy-steer and may have some pan/tie rod clearance issues. Nothing a custom pan cannot fix!

Thats all for tonight. I am going to install the OME front springs and start working on the hy-steer this week. Marlin is 2 weeks out on my parts to rebuild the front axle. I am also going to finish the sliders this weekend if I don't end up going to the beach.

Last edited:

dh13

TDI
Its been awhile since I updated this build. I'm slowly moving along on this thing, although I'm not getting as much done as I would like to be... but that seems typical.

However, I managed to get the OME front springs under the truck, boxed the frame in for the IFS box, finished welding the motor mounts all up and finished the sliders.

Here are some pictures

I plan on rebuilding the front axle when my parts from Marlin show up. Also, I ordered the parts form Volkswagen to delete the A/C off the engine in order to be able to run the serp. setup that is currently on the engine.

Last edited:

dh13

TDI
Well the past week or so has been pretty busy, so not much work has been done. I did receive my parts from Marlin and Volkswagen on Friday, also I was able to pickup all my exhaust components so that I could begin building. I made it to pick-and-pull and found myself a few things.

Here are some pictures of what little I have been able to accomplish.... Which is basically nothing :shaking:

I chose an intercooler from a mid-80's Volvo. It basically resembles a cummins intercooler, with the exception of the plastic end caps. I don't necessarily like that they are plastic, but the availability is large so if something goes wrong I can find one easily.

Almost a perfect fit for a Toyota!

Don't mind the painters tape.... This is the mock up with the 22r radiator. I ended up buying the Volvo radiator and will be using it for ease of fitment and mounting. The fan setup will be from a 1995 Ford T-Bird. Its an 18" wind machine!

A/C-delete pulley for the AHU.

I had one 45* bend laying around to see how much firewall trimming I was going to have to do. Surprisingly 2.5" tubing will fit pretty good. My Plan was to run full 3", but decided to go with a 2.5" down pipe and 3" out to the rear of the truck. Due to the extra weight that this engine will be pushing I need the exhaust to flow in order to keep the EGT's in check.

Last edited:

dh13

TDI
Well I'm home from school for a month now and this project is coming along nicely. Not going as fast as I would like, but I am making progress. Well enough talking, I'll get right to the pictures.

So my first intention was to use the Toyota radiator and the Ford cooling fan that I bought. Although, turns out since I was going to use the Volvo intercooler, I might as well use the Volvo radiator. The fit is amazing. I ditched the Ford fan and went with a slim fan and built an aluminum fan shroud.

Start of the fan shroud

Engine bay fitment

Used some threaded inserts to bolt the intercooler/radiator brackets into

More on the next post.

dh13

TDI
Before I left for school I had nearly completed the downpipe. I had tached it all together, but never got around to finishing it. Because the VW exhaust exits on the passenger side, and the Toyota exited on the drivers side I had to make the downpipe cross from one side to the other, behind the engine block and between the firewall. Something like fitting a 2.5" diameter pipe through a curved 2.75" diameter path. Also, the part that is not so user friendly is the part that requires you to pull the engine in order to remove the downpipe from the truck. With all that said, I test fitted the downpipe to make sure there was no engine block/firewall contact. After finding that it all looked good it was time to weld.

All welded up

A little experimental TIG action. My camera sucks so I cannot take all that great of macro photos.

The downpipe worked out fairly well. This is a shot from under the truck where the downpipe will connect to the exhaust.

Another shot of the space that the exhaust needed to fit through.

I was planning on having the downpipe ceramic coated, but for the sake of time I decided not to, plus the cost. I will be wrapping it instead. The only issue with the that amount of heat in that location is the vac. pump. I will most likely build a heat shield for the pump so the plastic fitting doesn't melt. I might have to wrap the starter as well. The turbo sits really close to it and I don't want to melt it down.

The past two nights have been spent timing the engine. VW uses a mark on the flywheel, a hole in the bellhousing and a cam lock tool to time these engines. Well the Toyota bell does not have the hole so I decided I would make a new way to time this engine. I stuck a bolt in the lathe and made a nice pointer for the balancer.

I ground a little line in the balancer and painted it yellow so it should be easy to spot.

dh13

TDI
From this point on the posts will be new material.

I didn't get much work done on the truck today. I ended up running around town buying up parts that I need to move forward with this project.

I ordered some Titan 764s for the truck today from Aaron @ Bora Parts. Amazing guy, and the service and prices are great. It's nice living in Oregon where I can drive across town and pick up the parts the same day. On my way home I dropped the nozzles and injector bodies off at DFIS in Portland to be installed and balanced. The new nozzles should help with power and decrease the amount of stress that the pump sees.

There will be more coming soon.

dh13

TDI
I am just starting on this exact swap myself. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.
Jaysin
I have seen alot of people (on the internets that is) doing Toyota TDI swaps, although I have never seen any in person. I cannot wait till I get to drive it. Should be fun. Good luck on your swap.

Nice work man!! :) ...i really like the rock sliders...was thinking of something similar for my truck, you're so going to love this thing when it's done :)
Thanks man. Yeah I kinda feel sliders are a necessary component even if you are not a hard core wheeler. I don't plan on wheeling this truck hardcore, but I plan on using it to camp and for trail runs. Like I mentioned before I highly doubt I'll actually use the dual cases but they were needed in this situation to make the swap work.

I cannot wait to start driving it. Once I know I like driving it and get some time on it and nothing goes wrong I will be tearing the engine down for a full rebuild and some more performance! More to come for sure.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Nice setup. Gets me more anxious to start mine. Soon, very soon.

dh13

TDI
Merry Christmas

Christmas day update:

So I things are starting to take shape, but the process has been pretty slow. I have made several trips around to find all the parts that I need.

I was able to get the oil filter adapter mounted and the lines made. I mounted the fuel filter and lift pump, and ran new rubber line. I am using a mkI fuel filter head and a lift pump upgrade for a 1996 Chevrolet 6.5TD. I planned on mounting the fuel filter in the engine bay, but I wanted to run the lift pump after the filter so that the fuel would be filtered before entering the pump. I was able to mount the filter and pump near the tank and it actually turned out better than I thought it would.

I modified the coolant neck at the back of the head allowing me to connect the heater core without interference with the firewall.

The last time I went into the shop I forgot my camera. I will get some more tomorrow; however, I was did get some pictures from earlier in the week and early today.

Today I finished welding up the passenger side motor mount because I for some reason had forgot to. I cleaned and painted all the motor mounts along with the fuel filter mount and oil filter mount. I pulled the engine and welded the downpipe flange on 100%. I sprayed the downpipe with ceramic high heat paint, baked it in our shop wood stove room and wrapped it with header wrap. When wrapping the downpipe I used the wrap wet so I could get a nice tight wrap. I will get some pictures of the wrapped downpipe tomorrow.

Well that is all I feel like typing now. Here are some pictures.

Picked up my new holes. These should help make a few more ponies.

Remote oil filter parts

The Mann filters are really tall. I had a hard time deciding where to put this thing. Where I ended up putting it should work really well.

Finished remote assembly

More on next post.

dh13

TDI
As I mentioned above, I will have some more progress shots tomorrow or later this week. I am going to try to have the radiator plumbed by the end of the day tomorrow and hopefully be able to have the engine running by the end of this week.

Lift pump

New fuel system

Kind of a bad picture, but I was able to bend the existing Toyota fuel lines and make them work for this conversion. The fuel lines are about 1/4 inch, kind of small but I with the addition of the lift pump I should be able to move enough fuel to make the engine happy. If not I will upgrade to some 3/8 inch lines.

New coolant neck

Fits nice. I can even use the stock Toyota heater hose. I am however running the neck backwards. There is a slight mismatch between the hole in the head and the hole in the neck but it still seals and should work just fine.

Stay tuned.

dh13

TDI
Got some more work done today.

The engine is finally in for good... well at least for now. The engine and transmission are fully bolted together and the motor is sitting on its mounts.

Made a trip to the auto parts today to find some radiator hoses. Spent two hours at two different stores and didn't find exactly what I needed. Although, I was able to find a perfect fitting top hoses, but the bottom hose does not exist. I found one that will work after cutting and splicing it together with another hose. That is what happens when you combine a Toyota, Volkswagen and a Volvo... :shaking:

Not much tech. or fab. going on right now. But here are some pictures.

Ceramic painted the downpipe

Wrapped downpipe

EGR block off plate

Tapped the manifold for the egt probe

Bracket for the Volvo expansion tank

Tank mounted

The starter is a tight fit when the turbo is installed. It should work. If not there are some expensive options out there, but time will tell.

Upper hose

dh13

TDI
great work on this project!
Thanks. I am trying to get it finished or at least driving before I leave and go back to school. Or else this thing will be sitting for a few more months.

dh13

TDI
So I have made some pretty good progress since the last time I posted. Although, I have not taken a ton of pictures.

I was able to fire this thing up a few nights ago and it runs great. I was afraid something might be wrong with the engine, considering I had never seen/heard it run before. It sounds good but it is loud with the intake track disconnected.

Basically last night I left the shop last night with only the fan wiring left to finish up. Minus the wiring that needs to be done inside the cab. My intercooler couplers should be here today or tomorrow and I will start working on finishing the intake track.

Here are some of the pictures I did take.

Finished up the fuel system. Build a temporary fuel pressure gauge insert. The lift pump supplies 4.5 psi, which from what I have heard or read is all you want to run do to the way the pump works internally. Any more and the dynamic timing is thrown off.

Manifold and turbo mounted.

Results of the first start up. Not to bad for not running for over 2 years, a big pump, larger holes, slightly off timing and being inside a building...

Some parts showed up. I like the VDO gauges because they somewhat match the Toyota cluster and they are simple/clean. Also my adjustable fan thermostat.

More on next post.

dh13

TDI
Alright continuing on with the progress.

Locally to me I have a supply gizmos store. I pickup up some supplies to start building my glow plug harness. This fuse block worked out perfect. This is the start of the harness

Mounting it to a filler plate that is located in the engine bay. The fit was perfect.

The four leads for the glow plugs. I am using 10 ga. wire, wired one for each cylinder.

More progress. The harness is starting to take shape.

dh13

TDI
End plugs.

Before I installed the manifold I had drilled and tapped it for 1/8" npt because from my experience with egt probes, they come with 1/8" npt fittings not 1/4" npt. I was able to chuck the fitting in the lathe, turn it down and use a 1/8" npt die on it. This saved me the hassel of taking the downpipe, turbo and manifold off. Worked out pretty good actually.

For this swap I am using the factory Toyota wiring harness and gauge cluster, therefore I wanted to use the Toyota sensors so that my cluster would read accurately. Machined this little adapter for the coolant temperature sensor. I wanted to make it out of brass, but I did not have a large enough piece in my shop. The AL should work fine for right now. In the furture I will probably make it out of brass. The connector is needed the sensor to be grounded when placed in the plastic water neck.

Last edited:

dh13

TDI
I read through this whole thread, and that truck is looking good! I'm looking to do the same conversion myself, but with a AAZ engine.
I don't know exactly what the AAZs make as far as power, but I am sure that they are somewhat similar to the 1.9TDI. Should be fun.

A big blow to my 2012... But the truck will be sitting untouched for up to 6 months now. I was unable to finish it before I headed back to school. I plan on finishing it up at the beginning of this coming summer. Although it might be slow until I find a job and get settled into my new life.

This thread will be going cold for awhile. I will post if I do anything.

Thanks for looking.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi wagon, 1991 toyota mtdi
You're telling us we have to wait 6 months for more updates? That's too bad. I really like the adapter you made for the coolant temp sensor. I welded a nut to the outlet pipe to thread the sensor in and that worked really well although I didn't get a temp reading until the thermostat started opening. I'll try your method next time. Great work so far, I'm sure you'll love it once your done.

dh13

TDI
In stock trim, an AAZ is supposed to make 75hp. Pretty easy to make it produce more though. :D
Yes, recently I was reading a thread about someone dyno'ing an AAZ with some mods. I want to say the torque was somewhere around 285, but don't quote me on that. Seems to be more than enough to power a Toyota. Considering what the r series engines produced:

22R 97hp at 4,800 rpm - 129 Torque at 2,800 rpm
22R 108hp at 5,000 rpm - 138 Torque at 3,400 rpm
22R-E 112hp at 4,600 rpm - 142 Torque at 3,400 rpm
22R-TE 135hp at 4,800 rpm - 173 Torque at 2,800 rpm

I would say the AAZ with some mods will do just fine.

You're telling us we have to wait 6 months for more updates? That's too bad. I really like the adapter you made for the coolant temp sensor. I welded a nut to the outlet pipe to thread the sensor in and that worked really well although I didn't get a temp reading until the thermostat started opening. I'll try your method next time. Great work so far, I'm sure you'll love it once your done.
Yes it will be some time before I will be able to work on this. I am in my senior year of Engineering school. My senior project takes a lot of my time and the fact that my school is 300 miles away from my shop doesn't help either. So basically I wont be able to work on it for my final two terms. :(

Thank you 410. I will be making one out of brass so I can make a better ground cable for it. I just need to buy some brass and start machining.

I agree, that adapter is really nice. I might have to ask to have one made when I start my project. :)
Can do sir. Just let me know. I will be making them out of brass so that I can solder the ground cable on instead the way I have it currently.

dh13

TDI
It's Back!

So, after a long senior year and summer I am back at this project. I finally graduated and started my job.

On Friday I was able to pull the Toyota out of storage and get it back into my shop. I had to unpack all my supplies and figure out where everything was. I found most of my parts and was able to get a little done on Saturday.

Basically where I left off was with the charge piping. I wanted to get that out of the way so that I was one step closer to being done. When I started this aspect of the project, I must have not been thinking about heat transfer. My first plan was to plumb the hot side into the passenger side of the intercooler. The cold side would then have to travel from the drivers side across the back of the radiator and then into the intake. Looking over it early on Saturday, I decided that plan was flawed and I need to swap the cold and hot piping. Luckily I had not done any real work on the piping before I quit working on the project at the beginning of this year.

I was pretty much able to finish the charge piping on Saturday, as well as redo the intake manifold. The only thing I need to finish is the short cold side pipe. I need to purchase two 90* silicone connectors and it will be done.

I will stop rambling and post some pictures.

Old modified Intake

Progress

Finished

Hot side

Just as a disclaimer, I work out of state so I am only able to work on this project on the weekends when I am in town. My updates will be slow, but progress will be made.

Last edited: