Diesel smell at start up

zhaotq

I just bought a Jetta TDI 2001. Is it normal to have a strong diesel smell when starting up?

Thanks.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I have a 2001 Jetta TDI and yes it has a diesel smell when starting up. The colder it is the stronger the smell. I have also run bio with no smell but this was during the summer months. I've been around diesels my whole life and never really thought my Jetta had a strong diesel smell until I started up a cold E320 CDI that had such a faint smell it made my Jetta smell like a Mack truck.

Chrisn6104

TDI
Jetta
It's normal. The smell is stronger and you'll see more smoke the colder it is. My 01 is like that. Rarely do I park it outside over night. But the few times I have both of those issues are more then when it's parked in the garage.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
starting up my Jetta in the morning is my favorite part of the day... leave the driver side door open while you start up - It's better than coffee!

You shouldn't notice any smell or smoke on a warm start but, with a cold eninge, the smell, usually accompanied by a bit of visible exhaust, is to be expected.

Nothing to worry about; enjoy.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
zhaotq said:
I just bought a Jetta TDI 2001. Is it normal to have a strong diesel smell when starting up?

Thanks.
Smells like what?

You should NEVER smell raw diesel fuel except when you splash it on your shoes during re-fueling.

Of course it's normal to smell diesel exhaust when the car starts. :eek:

zhaotq

Thanks to all replies.

Actually I did not notice it at the beginning, but my wife has a very good nose and smell it even inside the car. Then one day, I backed out my TDI from my garage, parked, to pick up my kids, I smell a strong diesel exhaust in my garage.

And it's a little bit cold in the morning here in Canada.

Thank you very much. A great forum.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
turn the fan to "0" or hit re-circ when backing out of the garage....otherwise, sounds completely normal....it's a diesel! :)

Master2192

I'd like to point out that Gasoline engines smell extremely rich when cold was well. However I don't think it is as potent as the diesel smell

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Fuel smell = bad.

Exhaust smell = not as bad. There was a rash of cars from 00-02 that had problems with excessive exhaust smell in the cabin. The problem was that there is a rubber duct (not to be confused with a rubber duck) that is located at the rear fender well on both sides of the car. It is part of the flow-through ventilation of the car. It has a rubber flap in it that should be closed but on some it was open causing exhaust fumes to enter the trunk and passenger space. Solution was a simple replacement of the rubber grommet/duct/duck thingy.

TDIPete

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon Shadow Blue GLS TDI 5sp
Smell in cabin with fan on

I had a 2002 jetta tdi and when backing out of drivway in winter or summer with fan on it would smell in the car with all windows closed.

If i put recicle on then no smell in car.

Dealer said normal due to winds and egr bla bla bla.

I sold the car and said never again a tdi...but 2 years latter i bought a 2006 jetta wagon tdi and this car is marvellous no smell at all backing out of driveway with fan on (never used recicle since new).

I suspect maybe cabin exaust flaps staying open under rear bumper near exaust or Pedro from Mexico did something wrong on the assembly line.

Anyway dealer thought it was normal like usual.
I changed dealer and my new tdi is working very very nice after 6 months.

blacktantdi

TDI
2001 Jetta Black and Tan
My 2001 Jetta has always had a diesel smell. It's a pleasant smell, not exhaust or strong fuel smell. It's funny because when I bought this car last year (and this is my first diesel), I thought the smell was just a "new car" smell, until I realized that it was diesel I was smelling. Now I notice it only when getting into the car and forget about it by the time I've backed out of the garage. I get a little smoke in the winter too, but that's it.