TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just part of the normal progression of life

Had my B4V for 10+ years and 100k miles. It looks and runs better than 10 years ago. But in reality, it is getting harder to keep n top condition. Mainly because OEM parts have dried up and much of what we have now is cheap garbage.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
There isn't that much to talk about. There has been nothing technologically new to talk about in several years except for the Dieselgate scandal and the handful of people who bought 2015s (which are a newer variant of a foundation that was laid several years ago).
There is some performance enhancement discussion still happening, as usual, but other than that, the TDI population is dwindling due to much of the growth in recent years reversing course.
While it's unfortunate for the club, it's simply a result of *insert ad-lib here* decisions and the resulting evolution of transportation.
But I would say say when the club started, there was only the Passt B4 and then only the Jetta, when Mk 4 introduced, there was Jetta and Golf and some Tregs and B5.5s

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
But I would say say when the club started, there was only the Passt B4 and then only the Jetta, when Mk 4 introduced, there was Jetta and Golf and some Tregs and B5.5s[/QUOTE

Don:

It's reverting back to the mean, as in financial terms. Not many new entries and older cars are vanishing, unless you are one of the ones who is not parting with one or resurrecting a MKIV or MKV.

Virtually no one wants a B5.5 due to historical problems, older Passts and MKIII's are difficult to get parts for.

Then add in a premium cost for diesel fuel.

My 2017 Jetta S (6 speed automatic) just averaged 40.15 MPG over the last 4000 miles. I still have my MKIV though.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Woo! Hoo! Great news!
Paul, just understand we have chosen one location and will attempt to meet with them next week to review suitability and get cost details. If this falls through, we are back to ground Zero. What bothers me is that the potential attendance will probably be lower than past Fests due to lack of interest since no Fest interest was generated for last year (2017). We will estimate about 60 - 75 participants and see what comes of that.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
But I would say say when the club started, there was only the Passt B4 and then only the Jetta, when Mk 4 introduced, there was Jetta and Golf and some Tregs and B5.5s
At that time, those were all new things that the community was just starting to get their hands on and figure out how they worked. Discussion was high-paced as people were learning and sharing new things every day.

Today, we know how they work, we know what the common problems are, what the solutions are, and how to tune them up to incredible new power levels. The exploration and discovery phases is over and the pace of discussion has slowed down a lot. The only real exception to that is the limited number of 2015s with some of their unique systems. 2015s also seem to be a new adventure for many pre-commonrail TDI owners, which is driving good discussions.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
At that time, those were all new things that the community was just starting to get their hands on and figure out how they worked. Discussion was high-paced as people were learning and sharing new things every day.

Today, we know how they work, we know what the common problems are, what the solutions are, and how to tune them up to incredible new power levels. The exploration and discovery phases is over and the pace of discussion has slowed down a lot. The only real exception to that is the limited number of 2015s with some of their unique systems. 2015s also seem to be a new adventure for many pre-commonrail TDI owners, which is driving good discussions.

TDIinWI

TDI
'15 Jetta SE TDI (Current Chariot), '05 Passat TDI (RIP), '03 Beetle TDI (RIP), '00 Golf TDI (RIP), '98 Jetta TDI (RIP)
I would be interested in helping out if Sturgeon Bay is still in the running as I'm in state. Texas could be an interesting idea too if chosen, I think that a trip down south could work :)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
But I would say say when the club started, there was only the Passt B4 and then only the Jetta, when Mk 4 introduced, there was Jetta and Golf and some Tregs and B5.5s[/QUOTE
Don:
It's reverting back to the mean, as in financial terms. Not many new entries and older cars are vanishing, unless you are one of the ones who is not parting with one or resurrecting a MKIV or MKV.
Virtually no one wants a B5.5 due to historical problems, older Passts and MKIII's are difficult to get parts for.
Then add in a premium cost for diesel fuel.
My 2017 Jetta S (6 speed automatic) just averaged 40.15 MPG over the last 4000 miles. I still have my MKIV though.
I would be interested in helping out if Sturgeon Bay is still in the running as I'm in state. Texas could be an interesting idea too if chosen, I think that a trip down south could work :)
Sturgeon Bay was the last Fest and held there in 2016 I do not believe it has even been mentioned again......

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
Highly interested in attending a TDI fest. It doesn't have to be local, as in, I'm willing to drive around 5 hours, or less, to attend. I look forward to TDI fest 2018, because it will be my first, of many to come! Always willing to help when and where I can!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
But, in about two weeks, give or take a few days, we may be presenting a proposal to have the 2018 Fest in Texas. Location is picked, now working the details.
... and?
Was a proposal submitted?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
... and?
Was a proposal submitted?
We worked out a tentative set of Fest events and sent it to Flying L for review and costing. Due to the Thanksgiving Holiday delays, the rate information results requested from Flying L is going to be sent to me next week per an e-mail received from them Friday. At this point, their booking calendar for Labor Day weekend 2018 has only has one small group confirmed. They can accommodate us at this point in time.

Once We get the costing info and it looks reasonable, we will submit the written proposal to Fred (or whomever else it needs to go to?). The written proposal is prepared, but just waiting for the cost information to be included.

We have not looked at any other potential locations in depth to hold the Fest.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Sorry to say, but well over 14 years the TDI Club "was" the home page on my LapTop and most visited web site. I replaced it a few weeks ago with a web site I frequent more often.

I too, have lost interest! With diesel fuel so much higher and gasser MPGs improving year after year, when my ALH engines are gone, I'll not be replacing them with a new model TDI car. Two weeks ago, I purchased my brothers 03 Jetta. He replaced it with a Honda. After I do a TB job and few other things to it, I'll probably sell it. I already passed my 2000 Jetta to my son. He uses it for a relay car (engineer for railroad). I have a "reserve" of ALH engines and parts for my Vans. I like to drive them better than the Jetta's anyway.

But, I do hope to attend at least one more TDI Fest ...... maybe down in Texas!

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Sorry to say, but well over 14 years the TDI Club "was" the home page on my LapTop and most visited web site. I replaced it a few weeks ago with a web site I frequent more often.

I too, have lost interest! With diesel fuel so much higher and gasser MPGs improving year after year, when my ALH engines are gone, I'll not be replacing them with a new model TDI car. Two weeks ago, I purchased my brothers 03 Jetta. He replaced it with a Honda. After I do a TB job and few other things to it, I'll probably sell it. I already passed my 2000 Jetta to my son. He uses it for a relay car (engineer for railroad). I have a "reserve" of ALH engines and parts for my Vans. I like to drive them better than the Jetta's anyway.

But, I do hope to attend at least one more TDI Fest ...... maybe down in Texas!
Andy, it's being worked on. Currently having discussions with two locations. Like always, no place is perfect. I thought we had a spot lined up but things got messy with facility uses.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
aja8888, I've attended three TDI Fests and would have attended others. However, like many folks, priorities and conflicts take precedent over anything else.

Well, I'll be around, just not as active as in the past...

My hat is off to you and any who have stepped up and handled the logistics involving the annual fest.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Why not do it at Sunday river again? Who organized TDIfest last time it happened there?
Turnout the second time around was lower than the first time. It's too far away from most people to be a good candidate for a recurring event.

If you were interested in hosting a non-fest get-together local to you, I'm sure you'd get a decent turnout.

There's actually a local get-together happening near you on New Year's Day. Check the east coast forum for more information.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I think Syracuse sounded awesome, happy to drive up from Houston and bring a buddy or two!
A lot of places sound awesome and finding TDI owners willing to drive is usually not difficult. What is a lot more difficult is finding a group of volunteers willing to put in the time and effort to plan all of the details necessary to put on a TDIFest. It might be a little late to start planning for 2018 but feel free to start planning for a 2019 fest in Syracuse if you desire.

Have Fun!

Don

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I dont think its too late for 2018 if you do this in late july- eary September.
Never done anything like planning like this but whats involved? Find venue for what weekend event? How many cars do you count on attending, 500? I can tell you that if i come down, its going to be for either the full day or the night before or after the event. im not interested in driving 1,500 miles each way (MD) to spend a few days there. we all mostly have families so why does this have to be complicated.
Find Venue (big parking lot) let up come tents and get vendors and maybe a radio station to host and get a band out there maybe. what else besides a decided area that is close to lodging and shopping and food?
I have no idea but i would like to help out if i could. im from DC area in MD so i have no clue whats to do down there but swim in your new 20 mile long highways of water! lol jk that flood was not a joke but ill bring my wing dings!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I dont think its too late for 2018 if you do this in late july- early September.

Never done anything like planning like this but whats involved? Find venue for what weekend event? How many cars do you count on attending, 500? I can tell you that if i come down, its going to be for either the full day or the night before or after the event. im not interested in driving 1,500 miles each way (MD) to spend a few days there. we all mostly have families so why does this have to be complicated.

Find Venue (big parking lot) let up come tents and get vendors and maybe a radio station to host and get a band out there maybe. what else besides a decided area that is close to lodging and shopping and food?
At this point in time suitable hotels are likely already booked for Labor Day weekend 2018 hence the suggestion to start planning for 2019 instead. You must remember most hotels do not have banquet facilities which are in demand for other events (think weddings, reunions, etc.) so there is a limited pool of suitable hotels to choose from. Obviously the Motel 6 or Super 8 will not work as a Fest hotel - have to go upscale to likes of Marriott, Hilton, etc. which have banquet facilities.

A suitable hotel needs to include on-site banquet facilities as it is a custom to have a banquet as part of the TDI Fest experience. It is too much trouble to have everyone go from a hotel to a restaurant then go back to the hotel. Makes everything much easier/simpler if the hotel used provides the banquet hall and food.

There has never been 500 cars at a TDI Fest - if that were the case then it would be possible to hold a Fest every year as that implies strong support for same. I don't even know if there has been a Fest with 200 cars in attendance? You cannot compare the Fest with the Mopar Nationals, Bloomington Gold (Corvettes) or the many themed car shows at Carlisle, PA as the TDI fraternity while passionate are small in numbers compared to these other events. This is where your thinking may be flawed if you expect a TDI Fest to be the equal of these larger more professional car events which is not the case.

Some of us like to drive - I think nothing of covering 1,700+ miles (800 miles out, 800 miles back plus some local driving) in an extended weekend (Fri thru Mon) but I realize some people like yourself are not road warriors and wish to take a week to drive out, enjoy the event then take a week to drive back. That's nice if one has the time and money to do so but most of us can't afford to do that and still take other trips.

You're right, it's not complicated. The real issue is that nobody wants to step up to actually organize/run the Fest which has been the recurring theme for the last few years. Basically everyone has suggestions to hold the Fest at such and such place but are unwilling/unable to help plan/organize same. That is the hard reality of the current climate for having another TDI Fest.

If you are truly serious about organizing a TDI Fest I suggest you contact member VeeDubTDI here as he can point you in the right direction to get started.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
FWIW:

We struck out coming to terms of facility use with the Flying L Ranch in Texas so that venue is off the radar. We had one more "suitable" location and have visited it, but they have a reserved booking over Labor Day 2018 and we would not be able to fit in. It's a relatively small location, but very nice.

Consequently, Mike Stewart and I are running out of gas and energy in trying to set up a Fest for 2018 and it is getting too late in the planning. If someone else has a "plan" for 2018, please go for it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Really sorry to hear this. I was really looking forward to a cross country trip for TDIFest then continuing on to visit friends on a loop through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming on the way back home... :(

VeeDubTDI

TDI
FWIW:
We struck out coming to terms of facility use with the Flying L Ranch in Texas so that venue is off the radar. We had one more "suitable" location and have visited it, but they have a reserved booking over Labor Day 2018 and we would not be able to fit in. It's a relatively small location, but very nice.
Consequently, Mike Stewart and I are running out of gas and energy in trying to set up a Fest for 2018 and it is getting too late in the planning. If someone else has a "plan" for 2018, please go for it.
Tony and Mike, thank you very much for your efforts. I appreciate the two of you committing countless hours and miles of travel in your preparation of a 2018 TDIFest bid. It's unfortunate that it isn't going to work out. I agree that it's getting pretty late to put something together at this point and that the discussion should be tabled for now.

Thank you again!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Thank you for your efforts guys. I was looking forward going to the long star state.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I was looking forward going to the long star state.
No, that is Alaska. The land of the mid-night sun (in summer), is also the land of the mid-day stars (this time of year). Texas, the other biggest state, is known as the lone star state.
Don't let a typo change your destination. Dallas, not Dulles.;)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
No, that is Alaska. The land of the mid-night sun (in summer), is also the land of the mid-day stars (this time of year). Texas, the other biggest state, is known as the lone star state.
Don't let a typo change your destination. Dallas, not Dulles.;)

oops my bad :p

sdubois

TDI
2000 Jetta, White
Tony and Mike, thank you very much for your efforts. I appreciate the two of you committing countless hours and miles of travel in your preparation of a 2018 TDIFest bid. It's unfortunate that it isn't going to work out. I agree that it's getting pretty late to put something together at this point and that the discussion should be tabled for now.
Thank you again!
Ill be starting work on trying a gtg thing labor day weekend, hold your horses tdifest as we know it may be dead but 2018 might not be