SMURFING mad

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
so thursday i had the 40K service done, today i go to head to the range open the trunk and find this mess... im pissed.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Yuck! Clearly spilled DEF. Unfortunately, it takes a day or 2 for it to dry, leaving the telltale precipitate. Give the service manager a call and let him/her know. They should be able to get that cleaned out. I'm guessing they'll be refilling a lot less DEF in coming days:(

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Clear incompetence in filling the DEF. I've now done a DEF refill twice in our Passat (after my free service expired), and spilled nary a drop. That bottle they sell at the dealer is supposedly spill-proof, but I use the M-B 10 liter jug w/ hose. The hose screws onto the filler neck in the trunk and is vented. Just set the jug on some suitable support and let it drain. When it's empty or stops draining, you're done*. Unhook and walk away. I got the M-B setup for $40 delivered on sale, and I just refill the jug with the $7 jug from Rural King, since DEF is DEF.

*It's probably wise to discard any leftover DEF, since the stuff is supposed to have a shelf life. At those prices, who cares?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
dang that sucks, iv never spilled a drop even with those 2.5 gallon wall mart totes- just tilt them right into the hole with the spout on the left for proper spout breething

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The 2.5 gal jugs easily fit in the tank each time you get a warning, no need to really top it all the way up.

yet another reason to skip the dealer

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I too have never spilled a drop, but the one time I let the dealer add it they spilled it. I had even told the service writer to please ask them to be careful. I let the service manager know, and I was not polite about it. F****** Donkeys...

I have never in my life had new car service any where near as bad as it has been with my NMS and 2 different dealers. My grandfather owned a few dealerships long ago but I can tell you that he made sure any car coming in for service was well taken care of. And he certainly didn't hire donkeys to do the work.

The biggest factor is flat-rate compensation. Many mechanics now are ripping through our cars as fast as possible in order to make more money. Having someone who is flat-rating your car can be bad news, especially at VW it would seem.

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
They spilled DEF in my trunk on every service up to and including my most recent, the 40K. My buddy, who has the same car, had a pool of the stuff down by the spare tire.

On the 30K they were at least smart enough to cover the area with shop rags before spilling it. I found those when I got home. After the 40K I saw it before I left the lot but the car is going back to VW so it will be their problem.

I'm over VW service.

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
i use the 2 liter bottle that VW has, with plunger valve set-up. i refill it with a 2.5Gal jug, then install and push down. Simple, easy, and no spills. I make sure DEF is FULL before winter, so to keep heat elements fully submersed in def.... hopefully to keep elements from burning up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't think it was the heater element that was burning up but a sensor that failed. Sadly the sensor is only purchased by the whole assembly.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I had them spill it once in the trunk, from there on out, I just asked them to put the jugs in the trunk and I would fill it myself when I got home.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had them spill it once in the trunk, from there on out, I just asked them to put the jugs in the trunk and I would fill it myself when I got home.

Sadly they were prob filling from a drum but charge you as if they were using the bottle. If they were just to put the jugs in the trunk why not just buy the stuff at walmart, got 2.5 gal jug for $7.50 last time I topped up.