Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It’s not $50k it’s $41k equipped with every option on Mazda’s list. You can’t find a way to pay more even if you try. So, you overestimate by a lot.

While I also predict lack of success for the vehicle, due to a lack of enthusiasm for it among Mazda’s normal clientele and their dealer network, it is truly aimed at Audi Q5 drivers like myself or perhaps more accurately, the Tiguan level buyer. Like many of the current crop of Asian cars (Hyundai and Kia notably), the interior is an almost minute knock off of Audi’s interiors from the current and previous generations.

If my Q5 was not going great and still warranted through 2024 I’d be very interested to drive it with a serious thought of purchasing. I’d also drive their turbogasser. But numbers on the Monroney sticker are very misleading. In particular, the smaller turbocharged gasoline engines seem to have torque curves that are pointy, not smooth, unlike diesel powered engines.

I guess I was reading Canadian articles- the diesel cx-5 starts at $46k before freight and delivery in Canada.

You'll find many enthusiasts who feel it's the small diesels that have a peaky torque curve. The torque curves I've seen from the modern DIT gassers look very diesel-like, except that the torque hangs around longer, giving them better power figures.

As far as Monroney figures go, it's pretty easy to beat those numbers in both gassers and diesels in my experience. I'm glad mazda finally is bringing the diesels, I just wish they had better fuel efficiency.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
And running too low RPM can also impact fuel economy negatively.
That is absolutely FALSE! Try running your at 8-speed TDI at a steady 40 MPH with CC on, on flat land in 6th, 7th & 8th gear. You'll see the MPG meter will clearly show the best gear to be in for highest MPG is 8th.

The RPMs are quite low low in 8th, 1,400 RPM, but it takes very little torque to go down the road at that speed, so why call for more (by being in a lower gear), when it is not needed, and just wastes fuel?

The bottom line is outputting more power = more fuel used = lower MPG.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
No, it's not false, it's just that for that load and your gearing choices, you're right.

Here's a BSFC graph with power contours that I believe is from the CBEA (so not your engine, but a 2.0 TDI of similar technological development):

The colored lines are horsepower, the BMEP in bar can be directly correlated with torque output, and the numbers inside the graph are I believe grams of fuel per kWh produced (lower is always better).

If you needed 40 hp, for instance, you're better off selecting a gear that gets you ~1700 RPM than one that gets you 1250 or 1400 RPM, because the engine is more efficient at burning fuel at that load at that speed.

If you needed 80 hp, going for 2250 RPM is more efficient than going for 1750 RPM.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I imagine the diesel cx-5 will fizzle out pretty quickly here. Very few Americans will want to spend $50k for a diesel crossover when it's down on both power and torque and only gets a couple mpg better than than it's skyactiv G counterpart. But I'd still love to test drive one.
I agree with the word 'fizzle out' regarding the upcoming Mazda CX-5 diesel.

If the fuel efficient GM Equinox/Terrain diesel did not survive more than a year in the US at current fuel prices, what makes us think this Mazda 'less efficient' SUV/CUV will make it longer than several months at most (not years for sure)?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with the word 'fizzle out' regarding the upcoming Mazda CX-5 diesel.

If the fuel efficient GM Equinox/Terrain diesel did not survive more than a year in the US at current fuel prices, what makes us think this Mazda 'less efficient' SUV/CUV will make it longer than several months at most (not years for sure)?

You may well be right that it will fizzle, but you won’t be right that it will have anything in particular to do with GM’s experience trying to sell that crapmobile.

Mazda has long been known as the Asian brand for car driving enthusiasts. They are now positioning themselves as an mid-market brand between the starter cars and the luxury cars. In other words, exactly what VW of America tried to do from 1995-2015 and was hammered for it in the automotive press. If they continue to lose market share, it will be because that is a very difficult needle to thread.

I think they make the additional mistake of not shipping this engine in all trim levels, including base. But, as I mentioned a few posts ago, they are trying to position the car as a wannabe diesel Q5.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They cx-5 may wannabe a Q5, but it is more of a Tiguan, or Ford Escape. I like the exterior and interior styling. The 250hp / 310 ft-lb turbo gasser might make for a bit of zoom zoom fun. As much as you can expect from a crossover with their inherently high center of gravity.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Evidence point: the reviewer obtained a fuel efficiency result far better than the rating in the test drive. 7L/100 or 33.6 mpg. And he says was not interstate driving, was using “secondary roads.”
Actually, secondary roads can yield BETTER MPG, because you are not running at "highway speeds". As most know, MPG decreases proportionally to the SQUARE of the speed. In other words, increase your speed 10%, and your MPG drops 21%.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think that reviewer just crawled out from under a rock, where he's been since the 80s. "Instant startup?" Common rail diesels have started instantly for over 15 years. "No clatter?" My BMW 335d is quieter than my neighbor's gasser 328i.

Of course the clicks to empty went up. It starts with an estimated range based on the previous tank. If you loaf along at 80 km/h you're probably going to improve on that estimate. If the reviewer had ever driven any car with a miles to empty reading he'd have known that.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, secondary roads can yield BETTER MPG, because you are not running at "highway speeds". As most know, MPG decreases proportionally to the SQUARE of the speed. In other words, increase your speed 10%, and your MPG drops 21%.

You’re right, but it’s unclear how many towns or cities and how many stops and starts the reviewer encountered.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I think that reviewer just crawled out from under a rock, where he's been since the 80s. "Instant startup?" Common rail diesels have started instantly for over 15 years. "No clatter?" My BMW 335d is quieter than my neighbor's gasser 328i.

Of course the clicks to empty went up. It starts with an estimated range based on the previous tank. If you loaf along at 80 km/h you're probably going to improve on that estimate. If the reviewer had ever driven any car with a miles to empty reading he'd have known that.

LOL very true!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I get my best mileage on secondary roads where the speed limit is 55 mph and lower. But I believe it is drag that increases proportionally to the square of speed, not mpg decreasing proportionally to it. Otherwise I'd have got 25 mpg @ 80 mph in my golf, not 35-40.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Some of this tank was used drifting across Ontario from the NY border to Sault Ste Marie on my way to the 2016 Fest. Cool evening, running at 80-90 km/h.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
You may well be right that it will fizzle, but you won’t be right that it will have anything in particular to do with GM’s experience trying to sell that crapmobile.

Mazda has long been known as the Asian brand for car driving enthusiasts. They are now positioning themselves as an mid-market brand between the starter cars and the luxury cars. In other words, exactly what VW of America tried to do from 1995-2015 and was hammered for it in the automotive press. If they continue to lose market share, it will be because that is a very difficult needle to thread.

I think they make the additional mistake of not shipping this engine in all trim levels, including base. But, as I mentioned a few posts ago, they are trying to position the car as a wannabe diesel Q5.
What a pity they put the diesel engine on a CX-5 and not something like a CX-7 midsize vehicle where the diesel is more optimized.

Mazda CX-5: A 'boxy' vehicle with a very modest cargo of around 30 cubic feet :-(

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's obvious that right now fuel prices are well below any point of pain for most consumers. Buying habits (big trucks and SUVs) would indicate that fuel economy isn't very high on the list of car buying criteria these days. And I doubt that will change anytime soon. If oil prices rise there are just that many more fracking operations that become cost-effective and producers just turn on the spigot. Doesn't bode well for diesels.

Only comfort I take in stable fuel prices is it doesn't bode well for electric cars, either.
I think it's more of a complacency issue. Fuel prices climbed up and then settled back down to around the $2.50 mark. They been there long enough that most consumers have adjusted their budget and moved on.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to their numbers. First, the vehicle is far from broken in. Second, C&D never achieves EPA combined numbers on any test car. During a recent SUV comparison test they got 13 MPG on a 300 mile trip in a gasser BMW X5, EPA combined is 22. The other trucks in the test also delivered about half their EPA combined FE in their hands.

I bet the CX-5 will deliver over 35 MPG highway when broken in and driven by an skilled driver, without hypermiling. New diesels with emissions hardware do seem to take a bigger hit in city and traffic compared to older diesels.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
You can also check www.spritmonitor.de, the equivalent of fuelly.com in Europe. The average fuel economy for the Mazda CX-5 diesel with an automatic in recent years shows around 30 MPG.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
And comparing with manual transmission versions on Spritmonitor makes you wonder how bad the Mazda automatic is...
I'm wondering if automatics designed for a particular continent are not better because of the choice of shift points that would favor that continent's fuel economy test. The result would be better economy than manual versions just on the basis of shift points.

This was apparent in how the EPA treated the Lexus CT200h as having worse fuel economy than a basically equivalent but otherwise heavier Prius. In reality, the CT200h had at least as good a fuel economy as the Prius. This is from personal experience.

The CT200h BTW was designed originally for the European market.

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
...the fuel economy tests are sometimes misleading, that's why real-world logs like fuelly or Spritmonitor are so useful.

And the Ct200 barely found any buyers in Europe

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Just saw a news report that this vehicle has begun to be deeply discounted. Did a cars.com search and saw prices for new models in the $33K range and up.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Just saw a news report that this vehicle has begun to be deeply discounted. Did a cars.com search and saw prices for new models in the $33K range and up.
They only produced 1,000 units and can't move even such small number of them in six months? That would tell even a freshman in marketing that something is seriously wrong with their way of selling the vehicle, or the vehicle itself. Nissan, too, has been deeply discounting their Cummins-powered Titan XDs for quite some time now (actually, almost from the very beginning of production) as there were nowhere near as many takers as they expected after the initial spike. Production of the Titan XD Cummins quietly ended three weeks ago, and even with a $10k discount, nobody noticed. The diesel-powered CX-5 follows the same path, although for different reasons.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If they had brought them over 6 or 7 years ago, I think they would have sold pretty well. They missed the boat. Of course VW (et al) dropping a deuce in the pool didn't help.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you could pick one up in the low 30s it's a pretty nice vehicle for that price. However, if Mazda gives up after only producing a few for the US I'd be concerned about parts availability and service tech familiarity with the vehicle.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like deja vu with the Mazda Skyactiv X. It was supposed to arrive by the end of last year, but now Mazda is saying they don't think Americans will like it as is. So they are considering designing a larger displacement version for this market. I predict that by the time they actually bring that powertrain over nobody will care.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I'm wondering if automatics designed for a particular continent are not better because of the choice of shift points that would favor that continent's fuel economy test. The result would be better economy than manual versions just on the basis of shift points.
The data on spritmonitor.de is actual owner's fuel economy logs, they have nothing to do with official fuel economy tests. Mazda's automatic does fine in the official tests, but horrible in actual real-world driving. The manual Skyactiv-D returns excellent fuel economy both in testing and in reality.