Crank no start BEW

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
Hi all, looking for some help on this sweet issue
Back story-
About a month ago I was driving and turbo grenaded.
Towed vehicle ordered parts started cleaning out debris. Nothing got past the intercooler thankfully. While it was down I also sent off cyl 2,3,and 4 injectors to be cleaned and swapped to newer bodies [dbw]( shop had diag'ed cyl1 bad, it was sent off a month prior to grenade time)

-Installed turbo/vac line (no smrt actuator, tuned for w/out)
-Installed injectors torqued
-reinstalled rockers torqued them
-Connected injectors
-Reinstalled intake mani
-Reinstalled intake piping
-Maf/map connected
-Ran group 35 on vcds for couple minutes
-Started cranking with gp out(no mist of diesel)
-cracked bleeder valve on tandem pump fuel there
-I have gp and cel light when keyed on
-I can hear the tank pump come on
-battery has been on charger during cranking to hold 12v
-tried pull start in 1st gear rpm show 1500, still nothing
-was able to get it to start by injecting diesel through the intake it started and died.

If anyone happened to have a trouble tree for why injectors would fire that would be amazing

Thank you for any help anyone can provide

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I don't know much about a BEW engine.

I suspect there is air in the fuel system, as that is where you've been.

You will get more spin on the engine kicking it off in a taller gear, such as 2nd or 3rd. I'm surprised the wheels were not sliding with in in 1st gear while pulling it... I'd use 3rd gear or maybe even 4th.

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
Cranked it like crazy with glow plugs out no mist of diesel.
Must have plenty of weight in front. The golf cart that was pulling me however was doing rolling burnouts. 1500rpm not enough?

On group 001 while just cranking with it all together
Engine speed@188
Inj quant-39.3 mg/str
Inj duration-13.8⁰kw

(Just a little extra info)

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Do you have a VCDS? A scan might tell you something.

Before installing the injector rockers, did you back off the lash adjusters, torque the rocker shafts down, and then set the injector rocker lash? It isn’t really safe to just hope they are still correct after removing and installing injectors. If they push the plungers too far the injectors would be damaged. Hopefully that’s not the case but it’s something to consider.

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
I do have VCDS. not a single code. I know I have fuel to the head because of VCDS

Wouldnt they just over fuel like crazy if damaged? I'll give the lash a check
Did not do that prior. Pretty easy?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
On group 001 while just cranking with it all together
Engine speed@188
If the engine is cranking at 188 RPM I don't thing the ECU will signal fuel to be injected.

Where you "was able to get it to start by injecting diesel through the intake"
Can you keep it going several seconds?
Maybe that will get the air out. (if that's the case)

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
-lash set on rockers

Cranked with gp out
No diesel mist
For sh¿ts put gp back in and pull started in 2nd
No go still
Still not throwing fuel

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Try disconnecting the fuel return line at the fuel filter. It’s the one that goes to the plastic T fitting on top of the filter. Plug the open T so it doesn’t leak.

Put the disconnected line into a jar or something and crank the engine. If the tandem pump is working, you should get fuel coming out of the return line.

What I’m thinking here is maybe your tandem pump is bad. It might be spinning without pushing any fuel into the passages in the head, or at least not pressurizing it enough.

Another thing to consider, since you removed and replaced the injectors, is if the o-ring seals on the injectors are not sealing well. Did you use new o-rings? Were the injector bores in good condition? Sometimes they can get burrs worn into them and that will tear the o-rings on installation. If they are leaking then fuel could go into the crank case and your oil would be contaminated with diesel. (A rising oil level would be a clue, but if you can’t run it there might not be a large volume, yet.)

If the middle o-ring on the injectors leaks, it would allow fuel to go to the return passages, without going through the injector bodies. It would have to be a bad leak for it to not run, allowing most of the fuel to bypass the injectors.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I’m with mike after reading your problem, I’m leaning in the bad tandem pump direction.

However just to cover the simple stuff that sometimes escapes us all at one time or another, you did plug in and fully seat the injector harness connector on the driver side front corner of the head, correct? I’ve had my share of duhh moments.

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
Ive checked for fuel to filter
Good

Ive checked for fuel returning to filter
Good

Seals are new

Ive taken a pick to each individual plug to each injector and pushed them on fully

I won't have a pressure tester till monday. So pressure would be the only unknown at this moment

Also the head is 2months new

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Make sure your battery is Solid charged. You're not going to get injection before 200 rpm. Don't bother pull starting it, just make sure you've got the amps available.

If it's a gel cell (AGW) battery, invest in a Ctek charger the 5amp model is great, has a reconditioning mode for both types of batteries that can work miracles.

Using a conventional charger on a low setting does not bring an AGW battery back the same way as the Ctek does.

With a Good battery you can crank 5 seconds, rest and repeat until you get over any air-in-the-lines issues and fire it up.

Good luck!

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
UPDATES
Warrantied battery
replaced injector harness (one pin broke off[piece not in engine])

Going to reset timing next just to ensure it didnt bump off a tooth (only 5k miles old)

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
News
-pull go again so I could reset and double check timing
-with battery on charger ran until diesel mist(good flow)
-put gp in 1 at a time
-started on 1 gp, cyl 1 fired
-started with 2 gp, cyl 1,2 fired
-started with 3 gp, cyl 1,2,3 fired
-all 4 gp in nothing
-repeated process till 3 cyls firing, it eventually lost prime and stopped firing

Riveroffroad

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 1.9L BEW
So it was injector 4. I could get it to run on 3 cyl
But once I put in gp for cyl 4 it would lose prime
So theory was seal in injector was allowing the piston to send air in the system
Swapped 4 good injectors in and varooooom